• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Regional Dex Discussion

One more mon on the Neglected List is in: Joltik! At least Galvantula was shown walking around that is. It hasn't been in a regional dex since BW so quite fun to see it again.

And with the announcement that only Galar regional mons will be able to be transferred to this game, I'm going to guess that all the gen 1 Pokémon are gonna make it in. I'm saying this cause if they don't, then people wouldn't be able to transfer all the Pokémon they got in Let's Go, and I very much doubt GF would shoot themselves in the foot like that. It would also explain the Charizard and probs means we indeed again get the Kanto starters in some way sigh.

One more mon on the Neglected List is in: Joltik! At least Galvantula was shown walking around that is. It hasn't been in a regional dex since BW so quite fun to see it again.

And with the announcement that only Galar regional mons will be able to be transferred to this game, I'm going to guess that all the gen 1 Pokémon are gonna make it in. I'm saying this cause if they don't, then people wouldn't be able to transfer all the Pokémon they got in Let's Go, and I very much doubt GF would shoot themselves in the foot like that. It would also explain the Charizard and probs means we indeed again get the Kanto starters in some way sigh.
It was confirmed that this also applies to LGPE obtained Pokemon, meaning that only those in the Galar Dex can be transferred.

I don't think they will add the whole 151 bunch, but I'd bet money that Kanto will be the most represented Region in Galar.

The Kanto starters will probably be available like they were in Kalos-as gifts.

Or they are 1% encounter rate in the Wild Area in normal Weather, but when its Sunny 10% for Bulbasaur and Charmander and when its Snowing or Raining 10% Squirtle. This can apply to other starters as well.

You know what, thinking about it, the majority of legendary and mythical Pokemon getting cut isn't something I would be opposed to. But I am also biased because I used to play competitively and the people I faced nearly always had legendaries on their teams and that got old fast.

But I also know that each legendary and mythical has its fans, so I don't really have the heart to say they should be cut.

Honestly, while I always have and will consider Gen I to be my favourite of the series, I feel that a large reason why all 151 Pokemon are making to the Galar Dex is for the simple reason that it's easy to cut and paste models from the Let's go than it is revamp the rest of them from Gen 7.

I'd only imagine that if the whole 'cut Pokemon away from games' concept stays past Gen 8 then all 251 Pokemon from Gen II would be staples in later games, especially when the inevitable Let's go Johto games reach development.

Honestly, while I always have and will consider Gen I to be my favourite of the series, I feel that a large reason why all 151 Pokemon are making to the Galar Dex is for the simple reason that it's easy to cut and paste models from the Let's go than it is revamp the rest of them from Gen 7.

I'd only imagine that if the whole 'cut Pokemon away from games' concept stays past Gen 8 then all 251 Pokemon from Gen II would be staples in later games, especially when the inevitable Let's go Johto games reach development.
They've already claimed that the Galar Pokedex only rule applies to LGPE. I can see some Gen 1 Pokemon not making the cut.

Instead of restricting us and trapping non-Galar Pokémon in Pokémon Home, they should make an update that gives us the National Dex. Maybe a DLC pack? Why would they make a new storage app to transfer Pokémon from Gen 7 to Gen 8 if most of the Pokémon aren't even compatible? And haven't they learned from reactions to previous games that no Pokémon should be left behind? Also there's this video from a 3D animator who says the Pokémon in Sword and Shield should be ripped from the 3DS games and that the only thing they need to change is the textures.

Here's an idea from my Smogon Account: You know, since this is essentially turning into a reboot game, for the Pokémon who benefited from Megas, such as Altaria, Mawile, and Houndoom, why don’t make them regular evolutions? The problem with a lot of the Megas is that they took a mega slot, while there were just better options to use. For example, Mega Houndoom and Altaria were great improvements over their base form, but they were too weak for the mega slot compared to Charizard and Salamence. They are cases in which they would have been better Pokémon as Regular evolutions. I would simply redo the stats, adjust the abilities and movesets, and obviously change the name.

In my opinion, they should also preserve all of the common regional Pokémon such as the regional bugs, regional birds, regional normal types and pikachu clones as these are also distinctive for each generation.

I actually feel the complete opposite of this. If think a lot of the common Pokémon and Pikachu clones are repetitive and if something has to be cut, they should be the first to go. We should preserve the most unique Pokémon from each region.

On the flip side I’m ok with dropping starters and legendary Pokémon because if anything, they should stay with their region lore wise. For example, why would Mewtwo or Giratina randomly show up in Galar? I mean they can for sure but it seems kind of forced to me. Same for starter Pokémon. Why would one region’s starter Pokémon be found in the wild in another region?

I wish the national Pokedex was returning so we could get every Pokémon but if we have to make cuts, those are the first ones i’d choose.

Last edited:
Not every Pokémon preserved needs to appear in the Galar region. It's merely giving the players the option to transfer them, so they can use them in Pokémon Sword and Shield. The starters, legendaries and mythicals from other regions can be transfer only.
The regional dex is for Pokémon that can be found in the region. Why should Pokémon that don't appear in Galar be in the Galar Pokédex? Sure, the ability to transfer would be great, but it would be better if the developers changed their minds give us the National Dex to allow all Pokémon to be transferred.

I don't want a limited selection from other regions. I want the full National Pokédex listing that's been around since Red and Green. And I'm finding videos on YouTube that show that Game Freak has absolutely no excuse for scrapping the National Dex. The 3DS games had fully functional Pokémon models and move animations that seem to be imported into Sword and Shield. The Switch game card has more than enough room for the entire National Dex and could put all the Megas, Alolan forms and Z-moves in and still have enough memory for the Galar region.

How is removing the National Dex from a console that has four times the power of the 3DS the right thing to do? If it was another generation on the 3DS, I'd understand why they'd have to cut some Pokémon. But they are making the jump from handhelds to the very thing that is competing against the Playstation 4 and Xbox One. The 3DS game card can hold up to 8GB. The Switch game card can hold 32GB. The amount of data for all the Pokémon just barely reaches 1GB. And people are noticing how bad the graphics are in the E3 presentation. And Game Freak has been working on Sword and Shield since they finished Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, so what is going on? And if Nintendo's next console catches up to the Playstation and Xbox to hold a terrabyte of storage and keep importing the Pokémon data from one project to another, then they'll never run out of room. Maybe it's because too many people at Game Freak are busy with Town?

Well, if they have absolutely no excuse to remove it, I think Game Freak should just go back on the statement and put the National Pokédex back in the game. If they can't finish it on time, then they should put it in an update, similar to how Toys for Bob had to put Spyro 2 and 3 in an update for Spyro Re-Ignited Trilogy. Sure, the Spyro fanbase were mad about having to update to play two games that were promised in a disc with "Trilogy" in the title, but it's better late than never. When you look at the outrage the Pokémon fans had for previous games that limited their collection, you know Game Freak was wrong for cutting the National Dex. Ruby and Sapphire cut a lot of Pokémon, but FireRed and LeafGreen brought them back and you can trade between the GBA Kanto and Hoenn games. Black and White had you only see only brand new Pokémon. But at least you get the National Dex at the end of the game. Alola completely lacks a National Dex, but at least the missing Pokémon are in the game's data and you can collect a few with the Island Scan or transfer from XYORAS. Let's Go restricted us to the original 151, with no way to transfer Pokémon from other games except Pokémon GO and even then you can only transfer the Kanto Pokémon or the Meltan line. And people cancelled their pre-orders. And after the E3 announcement that revealed that there won't be a National Dex and the only Pokémon that could be transferred from Pokémon Home to Sword and Shield have to be in the Galar Pokédex, people are cancelling their pre-orders and Sword and Shield is getting awful backlash. A small catalogue of Pokémon from other regions won't help matters because there are people who transfer their teams over to their new games and retire their old ones. If someone has been taking their Blaziken up their games and found that they can't ever use Blaziken in Galar, they'd have a fit. They wouldn't care about the small catalogue of non-Galar Pokémon if their favorite is not on it. The reason why I'm not cancelling my pre-order of Pokémon Sword is because I've had problems cancelling other orders and because I am a dedicated Pokémon fan.

Maybe Skarmory will get a stats and moveset buff this gen? Is it in the dex? Would be interesting to compare them and see a anime battle.

I think the removal of the National Dex and limiting Pokemon in SwSh to just the Galar Regional Dex was great for business. Not for Game Freak, but I ended up renewing my PlayStation Plus membership using the money I would have spent on a second copy of SwSh. If GF keeps up with their grand decisions, I may end up spending a lot more money on PS4 games.

Then I added that Game Freak is going to do whatever they want regardless of how people feel about it, and since people are going to buy it anyway, and in all likelihood, sales will go through the roof within the first month, there's really no incentive for them to change and listen to their fans' concerns.

I think that Game Freak has a sales projection it would like to meet, and if they miss the sales projection mark, chances are they are going to realize they made some choices that turned off potential buyers. With every core Pokemon RPG, I always buy all versions for maximum exposure to Pokemon I can capture and trade. At this point I am only willing to buy one copy, and I am not sure I would do it on launch day. It's small changes in fan buying behavior like this that will could end up causing Game Freak to re-evaluate their decisions in the long run.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom