• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Regional Dex Discussion

So apparently I was wrong about something. Turns out X and Y had the biggest regional dex in pokemon history. A Total of 457. Exceeding the number of USUM by 50 more. So apparently SM had less pokemon in the region.

So apparently I was wrong about something. Turns out X and Y had the biggest regional dex in pokemon history. A Total of 457. Exceeding the number of USUM by 50 more. So apparently SM had less pokemon in the region.
Makes sense, I guess, since Alola was a bunch of islands. The setting kind of screwed it out of room to add more pokemon. That, and especially the whole pushing the 3DS to its limits thing.

I guess the reason Alola looks like it has more Pokémon than Kalos is because Pokémon get repeated in each island's Pokédex. I think I would have made the same mistake as you.

Hey guys I did an updated model list of all the pokemon confirmed and not so far. Thanks to Serebii for the help in compiling all the known pokemon.

ihm0710bzxg31.png
Weird, I can only see the image when I quote it.

Makes sense, I guess, since Alola was a bunch of islands. The setting kind of screwed it out of room to add more pokemon. That, and especially the whole pushing the 3DS to its limits thing.
no, they just didn't try to have more pokemon. XY has so many because it literally has a new batch of pokemon every route. there's very few (if any) instances of pokemon appearing across multiple routes. the extreme variety is why they came up with the DexNav for ORAS

For anyone who wants a different format; here is the table I'm using to track the Pokemon available in Galar. The columns are grouped by gen and evolutionary families are kept with their original pokemon; so, for example, Steelix is with Onix in gen 1 and not listed under gen 2. Megas are included with pokemon names because I use these lists to track other things as well like which pokemon are most likely to get Galar variants. If the box left of the pokemon is red; that means it has been spotted (Yes, I'm counting Throh ahead of time)

And uh... here's the legend:

Sorry guys here's a link to image as it wasn't uploading properly. https://i.redd.it/ihm0710bzxg31.png (Ps Meltan and Melmetal aren't in it because at the time I wasn't sure if they were gen 7 or 8.)
ihm0710bzxg31.png

Edited in the image for you :)
- @SoaringDylan

Drampa isn't in it either. So its not totally accurate. And its safe too assume Corsola is gonna make it, because of Toxapex.

Sorry guys here's a link to image as it wasn't uploading properly. https://i.redd.it/ihm0710bzxg31.png (Ps Meltan and Melmetal aren't in it because at the time I wasn't sure if they were gen 7 or 8.)
ihm0710bzxg31.png

Edited in the image for you :)
- @SoaringDylan
Thanks for this helpful visual!
I would be careful with the “likely to appear” list. We do know that Lotad, Caterpie, Phantump, Duskull, and Shuppet have all appeared in regional Pokedexes without their “counterparts” in the past. No real harm in having them there, just wanted to point it out!

I might also include a category for Pokémon that are referenced but don’t outright appear in person. The only ones in that category so far would be the Fletchling, Claydol, Klink, and Octillery lines.

Also, @SoaringDylan looks like the image is still broken for me :(

What would you tack on to that description to explain why it also isn't working for some middle stages now?
Nothing, because the description already explains for which Pokemon Eviolite should work, and complaining about the lack of continuity is like complaining that the likes of Clefairy and Gardevoir suddenly became weak to Poison and Steel. The idea that a single item is more important than the type chart, base stats, abilities and moves and other stuff that has changed over the years, is weird.

Game Freak seem to have lost interest in standard cross-generational evolutions. That's it.

Nothing, because the description already explains for which Pokemon Eviolite should work, and complaining about the lack of continuity is like complaining that the likes of Clefairy and Gardevoir suddenly became weak to Poison and Steel. The idea that a single item is more important than the type chart, base stats, abilities and moves and other stuff that has changed over the years, is weird.

Game Freak seem to have lost interest in standard cross-generational evolutions. That's it.
I was referring to the suggestion that Eviolite just continue to not work on Pokémon that gain new evos despite their new status as middle stages.

Pretty sure that no one would have actually complained about the lack of continuity but Gamefreak does seem hellbent on not changing it as much as possible- Eevee's Gen 4 evos and all the unnecessary incense being prime examples. Go ahead and explain away the Eeveelutions but the incense were a pretty solid indicator.

Drampa isn't in it either. So its not totally accurate. And its safe too assume Corsola is gonna make it, because of Toxapex.
I wouldn't say that it's safe to assume... we could easily get Mareanie without Corsola. We've had Seviper without Zangoose before. Though they were version exclusives in (Omega) Ruby and (Alpha) Sapphire, but Zangoose wasn't in Emerald either and Seviper wasn't in XD.

So here's the percentages of each Pokémon represented by region confirmed in the Galar Dex.

Kanto = 39/151=26%
Johto = 22/100=22%
Hoenn = 26/135=19%
Sinnoh = 29/107=27%
Unova = 44/156=28%
Kalos = 23/72=32%
Alola = 19/88=21%

That count doesn’t consider regional forms, correct?
Where would the regional forms go? Kanto or Alola? How are regional forms supposed to be counted? I was just going by the number each generation introduced. And each Pokémon in evolution families are counted separately so Pikachu and Raichu are two representatives of Kanto while Pichu represents Johto. Regional forms have the same National Dex number as their original forms so no they don't really count as separate from the originals. Galarian Zigzagoon is Zigzagoon.

Between the Nintendo Direct and the trailer afterwards, 5 new Pokémon families were confirmed to be in the Dex:
-Vileplume
-Sudowoodo
-Sigilyph
-Pidove
-Ditto
-Litwick

Additionally, Poliwag and Shuckle were shown briefly on T-Shirt designs. This doesn’t mean they’ll be in the game since USUM featured several Pokémon in clothing designs that were not available in the Pokédex, but it’s worth noting anyway. Claydol was also shown in-person for the first time (its original reveal was simply as a statue near a gym).

EDIT:
Also confirmed by the Japanese trailer were:
-Cherubi
-Togedemaru

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom