• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Regional Dex Discussion

At this point there are a few more species I want to be added to fit the theme of the region:

• Houndoom
  • Pyroar
  • Stoutland
  • Gogoat, though there are plenty of Grass types confirmed already it would be fitting for Milo and his area

I would add Swanna to the list, but since Wingull and Cramorant are already present it seems redundant now.

This is small but the IGN video posted about the first 90 minutes of the game confirmed Xatu, and an Italian article going over the same thing mentioned a dynamax Munna.

So far the selection is looking good, and it has a lot of the monsters I wanted to be in the game. One thing that bothers me a bit, though, is how many seemingly redundant species they’re adding presumably at the expense of others that won’t be accessible in the game at all.

Why have both Machop and Gurrdurr, or both Hitmonchan/Hitmonlee and Sawk/Throh in the same game? Why both Pyukumuku and Shuckle? Why include Manectric, Slurpuff and Whimsicott when you’re introducing Yamper, Alcremie, and Eldegloss?

As for picking the ones that fit the theme of the region, I’m glad to see they included Chandelure, Roserade, Escavalier, Gallade and Gardevoir, Unfesant, Diggersby, Mudsdale, Trevanant and Pumpkaboo, Shiinotic, and Aegislash. Still waiting on Stoutland, Houndoom and Pyroar though.

I would have wanted to have Gogoat and Swanna because they look like a good fit for the region as well as Milo and Nessa respectively, but since there are so many Grass and Flying/Water types confirmed already I’m not so sure. I would have preferred to have Swanna over the overly common Pelipper anyways.

Why have both Machop and Gurrdurr, or both Hitmonchan/Hitmonlee and Sawk/Throh in the same game? Why both Pyukumuku and Shuckle? Why include Manectric, Slurpuff and Whimsicott when you’re introducing Yamper, Alcremie, and Eldegloss?

They are distinct Pokemon after all, you don't have to treat them as interchangeable. You might be unable to pick your favorite if they followed your suggestion.

They are distinct Pokemon after all, you don't have to treat them as interchangeable. You might be unable to pick your favorite if they followed your suggestion.

Fair enough. But if I’m going to have a limited selection of species to choose from, I’d rather avoid overlap so I can get the most out of said limited selection.

At this point there are a few more species I want to be added to fit the theme of the region:

• Houndoom
  • Pyroar
  • Stoutland
  • Gogoat, though there are plenty of Grass types confirmed already it would be fitting for Milo and his area

I would add Swanna to the list, but since Wingull and Cramorant are already present it seems redundant now.
What makes those fitting?

What makes those fitting?

• Houndoom is based on demon dogs from European folklore
  • Lion is national animal of England, and appears in a lot of symbols in Europe
  • Terriers are dogs almost exclusively from the UK area
  • Swans are culturally important birds in England, to a lesser extent Northern Europe in general
  • Gogoat just looks like it would fit the farmland area around Milo’s gym.

Well, it doesn’t matter if some species available have similar concepts or battle strategies as long as there’s enough variety in the selection overall. I guess it all comes down to who gets cut?

For instance, I’m fine with having Manectric if we also get Zebstrika. But if Zebstrika is going to be cut, I would rather have that over Manectric since 1. Zebstrika hasn’t as many opportunities to shine, only appearing in Generation V 2. We already have a lightning dog with Yamper.

If it‘s mostly previous gen starters and legendaries that end up being excluded, then I won’t mind so much.

I really hope Druddigon and Salamence make it. Out of all the Dragon types, those two look the closet to the classic European dragon in my opinion. It would be a missed opportunity if they weren't in the games.

Last edited:
I really hope Druddigon and Salamence make it. Out of all the Dragon types, those two look the closet to the classic European dragon in my opinion. It would be a missed opportunity if they weren't in the games.

I would also say Dragonite since it looks like the cartoon pop culture dragon (think Puff, Pete’s Dragon or Dragon tales), kinda like how Galarian Ponyta is Lisa Frank/My Little Pony unicorn.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom