• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Regional Dex Discussion

to focus on test run of new pokemon and make the sequel game better by adding them all maybe?
Or they make gen 4 remakes and think that people should exchange pokemon between games?

Ingeteresting how much more they would earn now if they stay with the switch more generations and focus more on the games?
yes consumers like new graphics, games but also want to have a console much longer and need to save money...

Some believe that LGPE was a testing ground for the Switch when it comes to future Pokémon games, hence why it only has 153 Pokémon, lacks items and abilities, and was advertised as a remake of Yellow. SwSh is the next stage, but this time testing the traditional gameplay we've had since Generation III. Even with the dex cut, 400 Pokémon out of ~900 is still much better than 153. And by now, Nintendo and Game Freak would know that game-based exclusion can cause huge controversy, so if they have to continue this in later games, they'd probably insure that later new features in Home would make up for it.

There have been cases where unpopular features eventually get retooled or scrapped in later generations. For example, Generation V made TMs reusable and allowed Feebas to evolve by Prism Scale + trade. Generation VI improved the GTS and added Wonder Trade, so no "Level 9 or Under Reshiram/Zekrom" or trying to trade with those who reject all suggestions that aren't Shiny.

By the way, the rumors that SwSh will have another 232 Pokémon in post-game have apparently been debunked.

400 seems like a good number to me. I mean heck, it's still more than what was in Digimon Cyber Sleuth. Plus I personally prefer that not all pokemon can be found in the region's dex. It makes the population displacement really jarring when you think about how Kanto has less than 150 native species (since some pokemon can't even be found there in the wild and must be traded for/gifted/ or found in the artificial Safari Zone environment) meanwhile other regions have near twice that.

Helps my "The people who built the big cities in Kanto totally wrecked the environment" headcanon I have though. :p

they avoid Legendaries, pseudo legends and other overused pokemon probably?
Also they wanted to show a region that pokemon are inhabittatet by species that can survive and live in it. Some jungle pokemon should not fit in a colder region... Gorrilas live in mountains... thats a other case.

Some realy don't migrate that far, some birds and bugs never are seen in some habbitats and would bot survive if even brought over.

Charizard was added to see the fandom reactions...
should starters get Gigantamax? as a test run if to create Gigantamax or Megas for gen 4 starters.
I think Empoleon and Infernape would need megas, Torterra could get a Gigantamax rock or grass move actually with ability change too.
Would be cool to use max moves to summon grassy terrain , sandstorm(rock) and it could get a ground type G-move....

We will need to see what they have in store...

Nah man. Charizard wasn't added to test reactions. Charizard was added because someone in GameFreak really freaking loves that pokemon for some reason.

I mean, I get it. I love Charizard to death because Charmander was my very first baby but like. For the love of god my dude. Pick a different started. Personally I would go with Chikorita. Imagine Meganium gigantamaxed. You Thought Alolan Executor was the king of neck? Don't even get me started~

I look at it this way. At this point we’re liable to get a remake of a previous gen or a third version of the game like Emerald since history is already repeating itself as it is. Either way, if the rest of the Pokémon are added back in we’re gonna have to pay for it.

I look at it this way. At this point we’re liable to get a remake of a previous gen or a third version of the game like Emerald since history is already repeating itself as it is. Either way, if the rest of the Pokémon are added back in we’re gonna have to pay for it.
Did they not say that they won’t be including all the Pokémon into the game from now on?

After seeing the leaked 'dex size, I think we should change the thread title to "Is there a reason for the Galar Dex to only include 400 Pokémon?" I'm really disappointed in the 'dex size this time around...

Nah man. Charizard wasn't added to test reactions. Charizard was added because someone in GameFreak really freaking loves that pokemon for some reason.
Charizard is literally one of the most popular pokemon in the entire series. that's why it's always included and gets a lot of stuff. it's really not rocket science yall.

Most people seems to be expecting 400 pokémon to be included in the next games. The previous games had no problem with including more than 800 pokémon, so why not to include st least 800?

I'm not sure that XY and SuMo had "no problem" given how prone they were to slowing down. I can only imagine that more space on the game cart might have alleviated that issue some. I like both games, but they seemed overstuffed.

And anyway, I think the new status quo is really interesting. It means that games other than the latest pair still matter, it gives every pair of games a unique competitive balance, and I look forward to the surprise of seeing old favorites rotated back in after taking a few years off.

If the alleged regional 'dex size of 400 is true, then I will be pretty disappointed, especially since A) this wouldn't be the largest 'dex we've had and B) the 'dex does not include fitting Pokemon such as Druddigon and the Lillipup and Ducklet lines. I had pretty much accepted Dexit, and was getting pretty hyped when I saw some of the leaked Pokemon over weekend, but now my hype has been tarnished a bit. Ignoring the Dexit angle, the fact that the 'dex size is relatively low despite the region being rather large makes me afraid that we will start seeing repetitiveness in Pokemon distribution across the region. I was hoping that the Wild Area would have a lot of Pokemon exclusive to it but either this won't be the case or the routes will be really repetitive.

Last edited:
If the alleged regional 'dex size of 400 is true, then I will be pretty disappointed, especially since A) this wouldn't be the largest 'dex we've had and B) the 'dex does not include fitting Pokemon such as Druddigon and the Lillipup and Ducklet lines. I had pretty much accepted Dexit, and was getting pretty hyped when I saw some of the leaked Pokemon over weekend, but now my hype has been tarnished a bit. Ignoring the Dexit angle, the fact that the 'dex size is relatively low despite the region being rather large makes me afraid that we will start seeing repetitiveness in Pokemon distribution across the region. I was hoping that the Wild Area would have a lot of Pokemon exclusive to it but either this won't be the case or the routes will be really repetitive.

Most of /r/pokemon sees it as true - And it's now a gigantic firestorm there...

<- And I'm in tears, As my favorites aren't in the game. :_;

Most of /r/pokemon sees it as true - And it's now a gigantic firestorm there...

I'm well aware; I've been posting there all day. I was downvoted for questioning the validity of the leak and apparently it came from the same people that leaked all the Galar Pokemon so I'm assuming it has a lot of credibility...

<- And I'm in tears, As my favorites aren't in the game. :_;
I'm sorry for your loss. ;-;

I'm well aware; I've been posting there all day. I was downvoted for questioning the validity of the leak and apparently it came from the same people that leaked all the Galar Pokemon so I'm assuming it has a lot of credibility...
Oof, not nice to gang up on someone for being optimistic/skeptical, especially when we have had fake leaks mixed in this season.
The number's from this shot of Eternatus:
lkwf6EPCyB78U9_HcZxRsPU6T_v35VBiJoGdKRC6PP9tpf6CyLdhtA0HhWZvGXaqUAMQpRgjzDlzTOEJdmwtsJdIS48tiua7v1sTWCsRJmPvsJE0N8IK1RbUP8Lj99J4o3QhnAvo

It's possible this is from a regional dex, but seeing as there's not really any suggestions of a dex expansion (especially considering last gen), it seems unlikely we'd get more...

I'm not sure that XY and SuMo had "no problem" given how prone they were to slowing down. I can only imagine that more space on the game cart might have alleviated that issue some. I like both games, but they seemed overstuffed.

And anyway, I think the new status quo is really interesting. It means that games other than the latest pair still matter, it gives every pair of games a unique competitive balance, and I look forward to the surprise of seeing old favorites rotated back in after taking a few years off.

The lagging was probably due to the futureproofed models being downscale to be compatible. There were parts of the model that couldn't be simplified and the performance tanked as a result.

Also, all walking/run animations were in SuMo's game files, of which less than 200 were used so that unnecessarily bloated amount of data those games took up.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom