• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Regional Dex Discussion

the regional dex size disappointments me a little bit honestly, though I'm still excited for the games. If cutting mons still wasn't enough for them to give us 100+ new mons again, I doubt we're ever hitting 100+ again

I would be more willing to accept a (main game at least) selection of that size if they 1. Included most species that obviously fit the region's theme and 2. Avoided including species with niches and concepts very close to each other. But they didn't on both counts, it seems.

Is it possible that there's still more pokemon that are in the game that are not included in the dex? In the same way Island Scan and Wormhole pokemon were catchable in Alola, but not in the dex? I hate to sound optimistic because it still probably wouldn't match up to the number I was hoping for (around 600), but I'm desperately hoping for Sceptile and I'm a bit surprised they didn't put the starters in.

I'm soo close to still being able to make my Lizard Dream Team. I'm so lucky that Heliolisk, Salazzle, and Scrafty all made it in and that they introduced an awesome new Dragon/Ghost Lizard as well to take the place of Keckleon. I thought Sceptile would be more likely than the rest, but I guess not. (I might have to use Tyranitar. He counts, right?)

Edit: Also; Do we know for a 100% fact that there's nothing after the legendaries? I know it was ages ago; but Sinnoh had pokemon after Dialga and Palkia; and not just the ones with cross gen evolutions, but random pokemon like Tropius and Altaria.

Edit: nvm; that was just in platinum.

Last edited:
Edit: Also; Do we know for a 100% fact that there's nothing after the legendaries? I know it was ages ago; but Sinnoh had pokemon after Dialga and Palkia; and not just the ones with cross gen evolutions, but random pokemon like Tropius and Altaria.

Edit: nvm; that was just in platinum.
I mean. visually, there's nothing there, unless it gets added in later.

There are for sure at least a couple beyond the last shown #, due to the mythical (s) and all that which will not be known until a data mine.... or maybe not known until announced, since it seems like gamefreak finally wisened up and at least mentions dlc in game. Imagine a world where something like Marshadow isn’t known until actually announced. It might finally happen!

And then yes, imagine a world where more Pokémon get patched into these games beyond the main game amount.

Is it possible that there's still more pokemon that are in the game that are not included in the dex? In the same way Island Scan and Wormhole pokemon were catchable in Alola, but not in the dex? I hate to sound optimistic because it still probably wouldn't match up to the number I was hoping for (around 600), but I'm desperately hoping for Sceptile and I'm a bit surprised they didn't put the starters in.

They said at E3 that the only Pokémon you can bring into SwoShi from Home are the ones that are in the Galar Pokédex. If there were Pokémon in the game that weren't in the Galar Dex, there's no technical reason why you wouldn't be able to bring those over as well, but that would contradict what they told us.

We are still missing Mew and the Mythical(s).

I still wanna know if my favorite Nutbois made it in. I've got another 400 candy waiting...

I believe Dexit was inevitable, and a necessary evil.

I mean, it happened a few generations sooner than I would have liked, but it was bound to occur because of the sheer quantity of Pokemon designs in existence.

At some point in the near future, we are going to push past the 1000 mark for the first time.

When the games were still sprite-based, the numbers were a non-issue because sprites don't take up much space at all.

People may point to Yokai Watch or whatever, but even if they have a similar number of monsters most of those monsters are recolors instead of entirely separate models.

The Switch likely isn't capable of actually handling that many 3D models at the same time despite what people on the internet might be saying.

The Switch likely isn't capable of actually handling that many 3D models at the same time despite what people on the internet might be saying.

I don't think this is a storage space issue, if that's what you're implying. Models on the 3DS didn't take up that much space even with the small storage size, and compression is a thing.

However, I bounce back and forth on this subject a lot regarding the process of porting each model. On the one hand, I can definitely see how having 800, 900, 1000... etc. Pokemon becomes too much to handle, as loathe as I am to admit that. On the other, I figure putting all Pokemon into the game wouldn't be that much of an issue if all the models were kept the same, especially if DLC was used.

I believe Dexit was inevitable, and a necessary evil.

I mean, it happened a few generations sooner than I would have liked, but it was bound to occur because of the sheer quantity of Pokemon designs in existence.

At some point in the near future, we are going to push past the 1000 mark for the first time.

When the games were still sprite-based, the numbers were a non-issue because sprites don't take up much space at all.

People may point to Yokai Watch or whatever, but even if they have a similar number of monsters most of those monsters are recolors instead of entirely separate models.

While I do think might have been inevitable, the unsustainable release schedule and the excessive adding/cutting of features has sped up the process immensely.

While I do think might have been inevitable, the unsustainable release schedule and the excessive adding/cutting of features has sped up the process immensely.
i don't think there's really a singular or small handful of issues that resulted in it. sure we could say that churning out a game yearly or near-yearly was a catalyst, but then again the fans also seem to also practically beg for a constant release schedule. it's insane; Pokemon fans always seem to want whatever it is they don't have right now. Director's Cuts are terrible, unless it's the Z we never got (never mind USUM seeming to show that Z probably wouldn't be all that exceptional-- and this is coming from a big Kalos fan). we want Game Freak to take their time with the games, but also.... why did we have to wait so long between USUM and SwSh?

could XY have looked different if immediately upon deciding that Pokemon would be in 3D they would also be working with more limited rosters? SwSh definitely has gotten off on the wrong foot, but i also think that's simply because the decision to cut Pokemon was made after development had started. or in a nutshell, it was a game that was meant to have all the Pokemon, but had to cut them at the last minute. i think the next game is going to look significantly different and not because of how ends up performing, but because they'll have known from minute zero that the game won't need to have everything in it.

It doesn't make sense to say that the Switch "can't handle them at the same time". These models aren't being loaded at the same time, they're stored in data and saved for later. (and usually being stored on the cartridge, too) The Switch can't handle running multiple games at the same time, either, but that doesn't mean it can't store multiple games.

And even if having storing all the models did have some sort of issue, why take it down to 400 when the 3DS could handle over 800?
Unless YKW stores recolors as a different color pallet applied to the original model, storing two identical models won't take up that much less space than storing two of the same models.

to focus on test run of new pokemon
So why not keep things only with new Pokemon, then?
and make the sequel game better by adding them all maybe?
Creating an artificial problem just to make a later game look better by comparison is a terrible idea. And they've already said this is their plan going forward.
I'm not sure that XY and SuMo had "no problem" given how prone they were to slowing down.
That was because of how high-resolution the models were, not how much was stored on the cartridges. It's true that the games had high file sizes (about 1.8GB), but Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D, Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance, Kid Icarus: Uprising, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Resident Evil: Revelations, Rune Factory 4, and Super Smash Bros. 3DS all had file sizes near or greater than Pokemon, and I'm pretty sure most of them didn't have complaints about slowing down.
it gives every pair of games a unique competitive balance,
Assuming that they remove the Pokemon more popular in the meta for the next pair, and assuming that there will still be a competitive scene for past games when their online support goes off.

So why not keep things only with new Pokemon, then?

Creating an artificial problem just to make a later game look better by comparison is a terrible idea. And they've already said this is their plan going forward.

That was because of how high-resolution the models were, not how much was stored on the cartridges. It's true that the games had high file sizes (about 1.8GB), but Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D, Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance, Kid Icarus: Uprising, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Resident Evil: Revelations, Rune Factory 4, and Super Smash Bros. 3DS all had file sizes near or greater than Pokemon, and I'm pretty sure most of them didn't have complaints about slowing down.

Assuming that they remove the Pokemon more popular in the meta for the next pair, and assuming that there will still be a competitive scene for past games when their online support goes off.
Because fans are like spoiled brats? Since gen 5 constructive criticism is rare.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom