• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

regional forms: who did them best?

which region has the best regional forms?

• Total voters
Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
beginning in gen 7, each new region has bought us local variants of pre-existing mon, defined by an altered appearance, typing, moveset, and sometimes stats and/or evolution requirements.
out of the four regions so far that have introduced these forms, which one's batch left you most impressed? feel free to share your reasoning!

Hmmmm this is tough a lot of em had their ups and downs

Alola had some real good ones (And my personal favorite in Ninetales), but I think limiting it to gen 1 held it back a bit

Galar and Hisui had much better variety in gens and some real fun choices and the unique evos were cool, but it was also kinda irritating when some of the regular forms desperately needed em and are just locked out of em. Some of em like Sirfetch'd should've been regular cross gen evos.

And Paldea's was basically an afterthought. I get that we're already experimenting with paradoxes and convergents, but I still think we could've had more than just Tauros and Wooper.

If I had to choose a singular batch of favs, I think, I'd go with Hisui. Lots of fun choices (Lilligant is actually my second favorite behind Ninetales) and great variety, and I think they struck a perfect balance in terms of actual cross gen evos also being intact (-ish, they're not evolvable outside of Hisui, but hey it's the same original form)

My top favorite Pokemon now is Galarian Rapidash so that makes me a bit biased toward Galar. Alola did some really neat things, aside from limiting itself to Gen I that I think put it in the running. Alolan Vulpix/Ninetales are a top favorite for me. I also really like Alolan Marowak. However, a lot of the other Alolan ones were rather boring to me. IDK.

Hisui had some neat ones! Paldea downplayed the feature so much it's depressing. No way does it get my vote.

I'll probably vote Galar.

Alola, as while it did irk me that they were only limited to Generation I families, I still liked a large number of them, especially Ninetales, Sandslash, Marowak, and Exeggutor.

1. Galar-most concepts were executed well, it gave us gods like Darmanitan and Articuno and amazing regional evolutions that relate very well to the region (Cursola with pollution, Mr. Rime with Chaplin, Perrserker and Runerigus with vikings). The only weak link is Slowpoke's family but even they have their charm.
2. Hisui- They are serviceable enough and have cool concepts, it's great how they almost all of them are used as either Noble Pokemon or rides. Some designs feel incomplete (Electrode, Typhlosion) and I feel there's too much type repetition between the originals and the variants.
3. Alola- So this batch has to be a bunch of tropical and hippie versions of previous mons, right? Nope, only Raichu, Dugtrio and Exeggutor fit that description, the others are a bunch of Ice and Dark-types because those were the types Alola lacked...How fun. And their designs are ok at best and terrible at worst. And did I mention they were all based in Kanto families because of fanservice "an anniversary celebration"?
4. Paldea-Wooper is ok, Tauros could've been better as it's changes are minimal and its variants aren't anything exciting and....that's all? They are the worst by number alone, but with a couple more families they could have surpassed Alola (not the convergents, I explained why they are bad somewhere else...).

Tough call between Galar and Hisui, but ultimately I went for Hisui. The other regions that did forms either had way too little in general (Paldea) or too little variety in distribution (Alola). Galar and Hisui both had a decent mix of generations for their regional forms, and both also introduced new evolutions for the forms that IMO are more often good (Obstagoon, Runerigus, Basculegion, Wyrdeer, Mr. Rime) than not (I actually can’t think of any that I dislike atm lol). Hisui won my vote because I’m a bit biased towards the Kalos Dex and it was nice to see Avallug and Goodra get some love.

The Hisuian variants are my favorite. I love how they went across multiple generations and they felt seamlessly integrated with the divergent evolutions. The design concepts also felt fully fleshed out for each variant form in the Hisui region whereas for the other regional forms, although there were some great concepts, some of them felt incomplete to me.

Back
Top Bottom