• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Regional Variants or Megas?

I like mega evolutions more because they're temporary and make more sense than regional variants to me. I mean how am I supposed to believe that only some regions like Alola and Galar have variants of Pokemon from other regions while some regions like Unova or Kalos don't?

To be fair you're meant to believe that Mega Evolution is the result of an ultimate weapon being fired in the past in X&Y or meteorites in OR/As and no one from either Hoenn or Kalos with the knowledge of Mega evolution travelling to Kanto, Jhoto, Sinnoh or Unova until after the events of X & Y.

In fairness if Unova was first made today I think it would be fair to think that a few of the Pokémon there might have been considered Unovian variants of Kanto Pokémon - Audino was confirmed to have been designed to give Nurse Joy a Chansey equivalent Pokémon for the anime so Unovian Chansey. I've basically head cannoned Trubbish/Garbador as Unovian Grimer/Muk.

Continuity errors exist for most elements in the Pokémon World, easiest to just not pull at the threads too much.

If you take how scientists work it possible that they needed to find out how the ancient mega mechanic works the same way they needed to find out how to revive fossil pokemon.

Here Dynamax and Gigantamax feel more ancient and longer used then Megas... Z-moves also feel like were longer used in Alola... taking that they show us a legendary fighting bear that traveled to other regions and pokemon that may come from a other new region in their dex entries means that we will get surprised more then once maybe.

Possibility is that if The fighting Wushu pokemon can Gigantamax on will could mean that Gigantamax can be used outside of Galar somehow. And the Gigantamax mode could be activated or gained via special training place or item.

Taking that it needs time to find new mega stones like it took time to find new fossils, its reasonable tjhat we could get more new megas in gen 4 and 5 after some times passes by.
The same could be with new Gigantamax forms in future.
They even could make a option to get exclusive Z-moves and Z-stones in other regions but for limited extent.

I hope that regionals and megas will both get used.
But megas more fit gen 4 bc you cant create regional forms from nothing taking we knew all pokemon there. Only add evolutions to those pokemon that regional forms in Galar got evolutions.
basic Corsola, Mr Mime, Farfetched, Linoone would need only new evolutions in Sinnoh to match the galarian forms that got evolutions. They could get some other type and ability change too.

I like mega evolutions more because they're temporary and make more sense than regional variants to me. I mean how am I supposed to believe that only some regions like Alola and Galar have variants of Pokemon from other regions while some regions like Unova or Kalos don't?

they could show maybe that if you brough a pokemon from a other region there it would breed diffrently?
Tricky but could be possible via trainer exchange method.
Possible also that some regions were isolated... like Australia and Havai and some species were brough by humans and not naturaly inhabitate it.

Both are good but megas are more interesing out of battle usage.

Prefer Megas more because they're only a temporary power up compared to Pokemon basically cosplaying in a permanent way which is what regional variations are.

Megas.

Regional variants are just recolours with retypings. Rather have something dope that increases battle prowess and lore on the evolution front of things.

I like both concepts, but I admit I prefer regional variants... more than that, I think regional EVOLUTIONS are superior. They're more permanent, plus they can really do a favor to some forgotten Pokes. Sirfetch'd, for instance, has become one of my all-time favorites, and I didn't care about Farfetch'd before 8th Gen. I also like Megas (my fave is Mega Mawile, and Primal Groudon if you count this as a Mega), but it is temporary and requires a stone; that bothers me for some reason. A regional variant can use a held item.

Last edited:
I wish we had a poll to see what majority thinks.

I love both features actually, and I never compared one with another. Come to think of it, however, as a concept, regional variants are more interesting than mega evolutions, since mega evolutions are all about making pokémon designs more complicated and calling it a day. Regional variants usually have a story behind it, and it adds more to a pokémon as a character than mega evolutions always have. The part to my disliking is the idea of not changing an entire evolution line (Exeggcute, Cubone, Mime Jr.). Giving new evolutions to already existing ones (Obstagon, Sirfetch'd) definitely helps the designers be more creative.

That being said, the best thing would be if we had both at the same time.

And this. Some Megas look way over cooked and over designed. What did they do to Mega Houndoom, or Mega Tyranitar, for instance? I have never been a fan of Mega Rayquaza either, no matter how strong it is. Looks too "busy".

And never should they give any more special treatment to Charizard! I never liked it before Mega X, so that's the pinnacle of Charizard to me. Sorry, hehe, rant over.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom