• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Regrets that you've had playing any Pokemon game.

WallflowerCanyon

Explore.
Reaction score
Title says it all, folks. Have you chosen certain items or Pokémon in any of the games, or made other decisions, that you've found yourself later on regretting?

I think the most recent ones that come to mind for me right now are in X and AlphaSapphire. In X, in order to try something different, I went with Froakie instead of Fennekin, because since Gen II I have always started with a Fire-type. Things were going pretty dang good for me, until he evolved into a Greninja and I started running into a buttload of Fighting-type Pokémon and moves in roughly 3/4's of my battles. I will admit though, Talonflame made a pretty good Fire-type substitute. And things didn't turn out so bad after all when the game was over.

My biggest one yet is going for the Cosplay Pikachu instead of Manectric, which is who I had in the original Sapphire and Emerald versions. She was doing okay, but then she turned out to be the weakest 'mon of my team by the time the League rolled around. Oops. The fact that you couldn't evolve her into Raichu made it worse.

My other regret was using the Super-Training. That unfortunately made my team a little TOO powerful, if you get mah drift.

I regret using the exp. share the whole time in Pokemon X because it made the game really easy for me. I thought the trainers would be higher leveled in X and Y than in the other games to balance it out, but they weren't. I always ended up being 10 levels higher than everything else. I learned from my mistake in Omega Ruby and turned the exp. share off whenever I started to get overleveled.

The thing I regret in Pokemon Pearl is that my team is mostly under leveled and I mainly trained my starter, Empoleon (the Inferape came from another game prior of me getting Pokemon Platinum used), and everyone else very under leveled and I have 8 badges in the game. Roserade and Starptor at level 43. Now in my other Pokemon games I play after Pokemon pearl I make sure all of my Pokemon are around the same levels as each other and stay caught up.

That I deleted my save file of my first Pokemon game's playthrough, Diamond.
I had some events on it but wanted to start the game over and didn't have anyone to trade Pokemon over with and only had Diamond.
Silly 10 year old me.

I regret that I didn't really get to truly enjoy the Pokemon World Tournament in White 2. Never did it outside of the required tournament in the story.

If I have to chose something, it's always falling victim to using the Exp. Share/Lucky Egg combo. With the recent changes to how the Exp. Share works, combined with the Lucky Egg, it made this series way too easy. I always say that, and I believe in that. Unfortunately, I never find myself turning it off and not using the Lucky Egg.

Using certain Pokémon just because they were strong rather than actually being any of my favorites. That really sucked the fun out of the games, and made things too easy. Now, I never fully plan in advance, and use Pokémon on the basis of actually being cool rather than good in battle.

I regret changing my Trainer name something different than my actual name. Now that all the pokemon I've ever caught are in my X game, it just feels so disorganized. Plus some of the names I gave myself were so stupid. I'm actually trying to breed as many pokemon as I can in order to have my real name as the OT. I also regret some of the nicknames I gave my pokemon before transferring them to other games, especially legendary pokemon.

When I did Project Breed 'Em All on White, I had to play up to the first Gym before I could trade over to Black and send anyone over before wiping the file. The first time I did this I had sent over everyone except a Purrloin, had no Poke Balls and no money to purchase anymore. So I try to send this guy over and I'm told that I can't; I have to have at least two Pokemon in my party to trade. So when I wiped the file, that poor Purrloin went with it. I felt terrible.

I also regret how I "trained" some of my Pokemon before Gen V. In order to get them attached to me, I would use Vitamins on some of my Legendary Pokemon and not actually train them. Once I discovered EV training, I felt like a total n00b and never did that again.

I was late to the Gen6 party because I didn't get the hype about 3D or mega evolutions. I didn't care at all for mega evolutions so even though I had Fennekin and Steelix in my party they weren't holding their stones. I'm just glad my Steelix held out long enough to thunder fang Lysandre's mega Gyarados.

My only other regret is not realising how early you get the Kanto starters. I hadn't saved for an hour and couldn't be bothered to redo all that to get a decent Squirtle. I wasn't bothered because I prefer Lapras. But then I had the wake up call about Megas, got the Squirtle out to train it and it had just about the worst nature & IVs ever.

I learnt from that and planned my team better in AS. I've still got a way to go because Steven was a breeze but even my catchers are too strong and it's a pain trying to catch wild Pokemon if they break out of a quick ball.

Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire was very disappointing. Lack of Emerald stuff was a bad choice since people here are against a remake of third version games, you would have think that they put the Emerald stuff in for those who played Emerald. And teasing us with a model of the Battle Tower and references to the Battle Frontier was just an insult to injury. Also I would have love two see both Primals fighting in Sootopolis and Mega Rayquaza coming to stop them but that was not included either. I kind of regret playing these games but at least I can complete the national dex and obtain Deoxys.

Also, I'm pretty sure I deleted a save (not on accident, on purpose, because I wanted a fresh start with the series with X/Y) that had a shiny Mamoswine and a shiny Ferrothorn on it.

Minor regret I just thought of. Trimming my Furfrou into a Star Cut during the first half of my playthrough in Y. The Star Cut is actually my favorite out of the initial 3, but after finding out that my sister also used a Furfrou and gave it a Star Cut for the whole game, it made me wish I'd gone with my 2nd favorite, the Diamond Cut, instead.

Not much of a biggie though. It's not like I could have predicted that anyway.

My main Sapphire team; even though I've had it for almost 12 years, most of my team is still barely at Lv. 80.

I regret using the exp. share the whole time in Pokemon X because it made the game really easy for me. I thought the trainers would be higher leveled in X and Y than in the other games to balance it out, but they weren't. I always ended up being 10 levels higher than everything else. I learned from my mistake in Omega Ruby and turned the exp. share off whenever I started to get overleveled.

Basically this. X was way, way too easy. I have no idea what Gamefreak were thinking changing the Exp Share the way they did.

So far, I've had it off the entire time in OR and my team is *still* overlevelled. It has been challenging on occasion, though, which I prefer to simply steamrolling everything.

Wasting my master ball, killing Snorlax, killing Mewtwo, having Pokemon with 3-4 moves of the same type, running away from rare Pokemon,.... the list goes on. My first playthrough was a mess, but I think a lot of us can say that.

Not being able to squeeze in a fire type in my Pokemon Silver/Stadium 2 team as a permanent member and not being able to get Sylveon in Pokemon X's story mode.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom