• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Remake or Nah

Reaction score
So there seems to be opinions floating around regarding Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire's remake-ness.

While they are technical remakes of the original Ruby, Sapphire & Emerald versions, do they actually feel like remakes to you? Do you think that the games captured the essence of their predecessors? Why or why not? Feel free to compare them to FireRed/LeafGreen and HeartGold/SoulSilver's successes or failures as well.

As someone who's played way too much RS over the years, I can say for sure that ORAS feels like a remake to me. It's the game I remember, with some new ideas and updated mechanics/graphics. Same thing as the other remakes.

It's definitely feeling like a remake, it honestly looks like all the details were very carefully carved out to perfectly mimic the look and feel of Hoenn while at the same time updating the core mechanics and graphics to current standards. If Ruby and sapphire were originally released on the 3ds,this is exactly what I imagined they would look and feel like. The extra stuff added on is more of a bonus, but to me it neither adds to nor detracts from the feelings of nostalgia I am getting from playing the game.

Yeah, it captures the feel of the games, which is what matters. The only exception is the difficulty. More direction (which I don't think is a good thing) and I swear I'm levelling faster than I did in my Emerald playthrough a while back even with the exp all off. GF are getting steadily more confident in changing things, which is good. Hopefully they should be less conservative and find the sweet spot next time.

Yeah, despite the various changes here and there, this feels very much like a remake to me. I even remember some of the trainers that I've fought, like the stuff they said. I even got beaten by May at the cycling road path... something that always, ALWAYS happened to me when I played the originals (unless I was really overleveled). The entire beginning was one huge nostalgia fest as well; while the "dewdrops on the leaves" scene remake was incredible, using the GBA opening for introductions was... well, a shameless act of nostalgia mongering, and it really worked.

I can't say if this one did a better job at being a remake than FR/LG or HG/SS, since I never got to play the original counterparts first.

This is totally a remake of a Gen 3 game. XD I should know, as my first Pokemon game was in Gen 3.

It feels so.....nostalgic, even though my Gen 3 introduction was FireRed, a remake. And all I've ever seem of Hoenn was from the anime and Marriland's Emerald Nuzlocke. XD

It's full circle for me. Start from Gen 3, complete my team collection with Gen 3's remake.

It mostly is a remake, but it is well done to the point that it doesn't really feel like a remake. The storyline is roughly the same, but a lot more characters and locations are fleshed out making it more interesting.

We're questioning whether or not this is a remake when games like OOT3D and MM3D are out there, or even further WWHD and the other HD "remakes" (remasters!)?

It most certainly is a remake!

Yes, but it's much more bearable. I started a Ruby playthrough last month to migrate some last-minute Gen. 3'ers, and it's so hard to deal with. I'm not even past Slateport yet, it's so boring. Meanwhile Alpha Sapphire is EPIC.

I do like that they weren't afraid to shake things up this time around (if only they had that approach with HGSS). ORAS made plenty of changes, but it still feels distinctly like a Hoenn game. It's a bummer, though, that most of the changes were for the worst.

Or...nah...?

I've noticed a lot of things that look so much better in the updated engine. Like Professor Birch's running around, Flannery's facial expressions during her introduction, the Trick House, whatever it's called, Fortree City, and Diving. It's just too bad some of the mechanics couldn't make their way over.

It's about half and half, because at some parts (namely Mauville, sans the Donphan in the room in that city that I still won't get over) it feels like they've taken a number of creative liberties, be they for the better or for the worst. Like FR/LG and HG/SS before them (and the D/P remakes that will likely come in Gen 7), they change a few things while trying to keep the spirit of the originals. I think FR/LG were too much the same from the originals while OR/AS changed too much for better or worse, and HG/SS is somewhere in the middle by keeping the same spirit of the original while adding and changing anything that was necessary. I will admit they got carried away with Mauville though, essentially turning it into a rectangular version of Lumiose (complete with it's own miniature Prism Tower) but that's probably just me nitpicking.

Even though I think OR/AS are good remakes, I will always prefer the original R/S/E over them regardless of all the features OR/AS added.

This Hoenn really feels like the Hoenn I grew up with. However, I spent most of my time playing Emerald Ruby or sapphire. I actually don't even remember finishing Ruby. Only thing I am disappointed about is the lack of features introduced in Emerald like Gym Leader rematches, Battle Frontier, Desert Underpass, etc. As a remake of the original Ruby and Sapphire, GF did a really well while still adding their own creativity to the game to keep it fresh and new. But Hoenn as a whole, while most things are spot on, the features left out in Emerald still irk me.

Even though my first games weren't the Hoenn games, I still feel tons of nostalgia when I go back and play them, and I feel like ORAS has captured it perfectly and more. Everything they added to the games from the originals feels like and improvement to me and I love how different they are from the originals that makes them feel like brand new games as well~ I would certainly say these are the best remakes we've had so far. HGSS and FRLG were good, but, honestly, don't even come anywhere close to ORAS, in my opinion.

To me, these games are a remake of Ruby and Sapphire with some elements of retelling, but unlike what they did with HGSS with Crystal, I wish they had some of the good elements of Emerald in the story.

Regardless, I found O. Ruby to be very enjoyable as a remake. I love how they updated the music without remixing it (HGSS did this and I wasn't a huge fan) and the graphics look a lot brighter compared to what was in X and Y. I was never too crazy over the third generation to begin with so I wasn't upset with whatever updates were made. I liked the Pokemon available and the music was top notch but Hoenn itself was never really my cup of tea. I forgot a lot of the things that existed in Ruby until I started playing O. Ruby.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom