• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Remakes, reboots, and re-imaginings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. They/Them
I was inspired to write this by the kind of funny situation we're having right now when it comes to remakes of well-known properties, namely the two particularly big ones that are premiering this month. The first, as I'm sure that a lot of people here on this Pokémon forum are aware, is Mewtwo Strikes Back EVOLUTION, a CG remake of a traditionally-animated original that's (in)famous for its brooding title character, its unusually dark themes by Pokémon standards, and for being one of the highest-grossing anime films in both Japan and the West (with the latter helping signficantly). The second, as I'm sure that pretty much everyone is aware, is the new version of The Lion King, which is also a CG remake of a traditionally-animated original that's famous being one of the highest-grossing animated films of all time, the single highest-grossing traditionally animated film of all time, and for representing Disney at what could be argued to be their cultural and artistic peak.

These, of course, are nowhere close to the only examples of remakes, reboots, and re-imaginings that have been brought to existence by entities like Disney, The Pokémon Company, etc. Mere months ago we got live-action remakes of both Aladdin and Dumbo, and before that we also got live-action remakes of Beauty and the Beast, Cinderella, and others that I can't even remember right now, plus alternate takes on stories like Sleeping Beauty (Maleficent) and Winnie-the-Pooh (Christopher Robin). And that's from Disney alone, never mind the countless reboots of superhero franchises (Batman, Superman, and Spider-Man, anyone?) and the even more endless remakes of classic films from bygone eras of cinema. And surely we're all-too-aware here of the various remakes of Pokémon games that have been released throughout the years (FireRed and LeafGreen... HeartGold and SoulSilver... Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee...), plus all of the many remakes and remasters that have been released — or are going to be released — in the video game industry in general (the FFVII Remake... Crash and Spyro... nearly every major first-party game released on the PS3... the list goes on...)

Naturally, there are many pitfalls that can come into play while remaking — or even slightly altering — a beloved or otherwise well-known work. Some might argue that a remake changes too much about the original, while others might think that too little has changed. Meanwhile, others might argue that the mere existence of a remake is unnecessary or even an affront to the original, while others might actually welcome a remake (or at least be open to one being made). What I would like to explore here in this thread is this: what are your personal opinions about remakes, reboots, and re-imaginings?

I think it's fun to see how they're different from the original.

Oddly, I don't mind remakes/reboots when it comes to video games. Though I think it's, for me at least, because it's always exciting to get to experience the game again after so many years and to me it feels like I'm actually going through the story and connecting with characters of a certain game again is always great. As long as the remake of the game is still very close in story, characterization, and don't have any unnecessary changes that weren't a problem before, nine times out of ten I'll enjoy it. At least that's happened for game series I like, personally.

Now when it comes to movies, I usually almost never enjoy remakes. I guess it's because of movies I've watched before, especially ones from older eras, always looked great to me just the way it is, but seeing them getting modernized remakes completely irritates me. The one exception of a remake I liked that comes to my mind is the remake of Cinderella, I actually liked that one coming from someone that adores the original animated movie. That being said I wish Disney would just stop remaking their animated movies into live action, or CG in Lion King's case, and focus more on original stories, or make movies on other fantasy works they haven't tried yet. Same goes for Hollywood in general, just focus on original works, not every older movie needs to be touched up on again for modern audiences.

Alternate takes on games and movies are a 50/50 for me. As long as it's specifically mentioned it's an AU type of situation, then I give it a lot more leeway in that case.

I also have similar 50/50 feelings when it comes to characters getting their own game/movie. Especially if it touches more on their backstory compared to the original work, then yeah I give it leeway too, as long as said character isn't bastardized to hell. Similar thoughts on an event in a game/movie that may not have been touched on much if at all, but sometimes these will feature original characters (or characters that may have been mentioned once in said event) so I don't get too miffed on this one.

Honestly it depends on both the quality of the remake and how much I liked the original in the first place. The Fruits Basket reboot, for instance, is (at least in my opinion) an example of a reboot done right. They took everything that made the original anime wonderful and made it even better by following the source material more closely this time around (also the animation is just stunning). The problem is in many cases remakes tend to suffer from being mere cash grabs rather than projects with genuine passion behind them and it makes them fall flat.

Oddly, I don't mind remakes/reboots when it comes to video games. Though I think it's, for me at least, because it's always exciting to get to experience the game again after so many years and to me it feels like I'm actually going through the story and connecting with characters of a certain game again is always great. As long as the remake of the game is still very close in story, characterization, and don't have any unnecessary changes that weren't a problem before, nine times out of ten I'll enjoy it. At least that's happened for game series I like, personally.
I feel in a similar way to you. I think it depends in what they are doing with it and how they are doing it. For example, I think I might enjoy LGPE, mostly it seems like it is how I actually remember Gen I and not what it really was (replaying Yellow as an adult was not a good idea...), and I liked Spyro Re-Ignited Trilogy after what Activision did with The Legend of Spyro (where I think they tried to make a "cinematic experience"), although that might be my hate for TLoS!Sparx talking.

Now when it comes to movies, I usually almost never enjoy remakes. I guess it's because of movies I've watched before, especially ones from older eras, always looked great to me just the way it is, but seeing them getting modernized remakes completely irritates me. The one exception of a remake I liked that comes to my mind is the remake of Cinderella, I actually liked that one coming from someone that adores the original animated movie. That being said I wish Disney would just stop remaking their animated movies into live action, or CG in Lion King's case, and focus more on original stories, or make movies on other fantasy works they haven't tried yet. Same goes for Hollywood in general, just focus on original works, not every older movie needs to be touched up on again for modern audiences.
Thank you for reminding me of the Freaky Friday remake. The one they made... last year I think? They turned it into a High School Musical-like movie. Just avoid it. I don't want to look at what they are going to do with The Parent Trap (another movie I enjoyed as a kid).

Remakes of old video games are sometimes fine, as technology has improved a lot and it is understandable to want to update old games to new standards, as well as the fact that most people don't have the systems these old games were playable on. I find remakes pointless in film though, as old movies are still perfectly enjoyable today and remakes will always seem awkward to people familiar with the original. Remaking foreign films for an American audience is even more pointless, it wouldn't hurt to read a little. Overall, the constant focus on remakes, reboots, and sequels is really stagnating creativity in Hollywood today. It's especially noticeable this year, as out of the ten highest grossing movies so far this year, Us is the only entirely original one, and Detective Pikachu is the only other one that isn't one of the three.

I typically don't watch remakes of old movies tbh. I was tempted to watch The Lion King a few days ago since my friend had an extra ticket, but then I saw the reviews and it only reinforced my opinion that Disney is becoming incredibly unoriginal with their latest movies; everything that they produce these days is either a sequel or remake, and I've personally had enough of them. I also don't particularly like that Disney's going through this whole 'woke' phase as if they're suddenly Tumblr now, so I'm not too pleased by some of their re-imaginings of iconic movies.

I watched all of the lion king films back when they first came out, and now they make the CGI motion picture that looks interesting to me, and was tempted to go see it just because it reminds me of the Jungle Book movie that I really liked, so why not see this one.

Tbh, I genuinely welcome video game remakes. Let's be honest here: some games do not hold up well over time, and, therefore, can benefit from remakes that update or improve systems from the original game, be they horribly dated graphics, awkward controls, slow frame rates, a dated UI, or anything that can hinder enjoyment, from newcomers or even longtime fans who can no longer enjoy games that they used to. They are certainly some games that I would love to see get proper remakes - not just 1-1 remakes that improve nothing from the original, to be clear - so that I can enjoy them just as much as when they were new, myself. Not to mention, this would give those who missed certain older games a chance to play for the first time, without potentially having to buy something that's now expensive or hunt an old console to do it. Of course, for a lot of newer games, HD Remasters are all that are necessary and are still a good thing for the last point.

Movie remakes, for the most part, I just don't feel are necessary. But I don't think there's anything wrong with them, either.

I welcome video-game remakes just as long as the series moves forward. Unfortunately, Star Fox isn't on a good spot, it technically ended with Star Fox Command, which by the way, I don't know why Nintendo refuses to make Star Fox games with plots based on its several endings. Instead, they remade Star Fox 64 not once, but two times, 64 3D on the 3DS and Zero for the Wii U. The only good thing it got going for it isn't that much better and that's the crossover in Starlink for the Switch.

Movie remakes are 50/50 for me, after Captain Marvel, I decided to boycott movies that go 'woke' because I just don't enjoy forced messages at all.

Last edited:
If I really enjoyed something the first time around, it's unlikely that the remake will be a waste. I'm also glad that it allows that game/movie to be appreciated by a new generation. FRLG, HGSS and LGPE all had more merits than flaws, even if they fell short of my expectations (like their contemporaries, but in different ways). Those are only the game remakes I've played.

As for movies, I'll definitely watch Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution (subbed), and maybe Aladdin and Lion King if I feel like it. It's pretty rare for me to want to watch a new Pokemon movie, and the only Disney ones I've watched this decade have been Toy Story 3 and Christopher Robin (sequels). The only retellings I'm familiar with are I Choose You (which I disliked for changing too much and having a disappointing climax) and Neo Evangelion Rebuild (the jury is still out on that one, but at least it didn't condense a series into one movie).

Last edited:
I welcome video-game remakes just as long as the series moves forward. Unfortunately, Star Fox isn't on a good spot, it technically ended with Star Fox Command, which by the way, I don't know why Nintendo refuses to make Star Fox games with plots based on its several endings. Instead, they remade Star Fox 64 not once, but two times, 64 3D on the 3DS and Zero for the Wii U. The only good thing it got going for it isn't that much better and that's the crossover in Starlink for the Switch.
It doesn't help that, from what I understand, Star Fox 64 is a remake of the original Star Fox. At this point I'm starting to believe Fox and co. are trapped in a Groundhog Day loop.

Remakes are a double edged knife. They often bring something new and shiny to the table and fix others, but might take away aspects that made the original loved.

The Spyro Remastered Trilogy is an example of a good remake of a video game, where it gave a fresh layer of paint over a dated game, adding beauty, charm and personality to aspects that needed it, improving on others that already had it, and fixing several gameplay issues from the originals, all without straying away from what it was going for.

Remakes in movies are a more complicated topic because whereas older video games usually don’t have that much story and let you self insert, movies have a full circle story and characters that are harder to adapt or replace. The reason for doing it matters, too.

Disney’s live action remakes are an example of ‘I can, so I will’. They have the technology to remake their successes and know that will give them great deals of money, so they do it. While Aladdin and Dumbo, for example, actually brought something new and charming to the table, Beauty and the Beast and Lion King feel like soulless cashgrabs telling the exact same tale but worse.

A great reboot to me would be the Planet of the Apes trilogy we had this decade. It has the same concepts as the original, but it actually tells a far different story in a compelling way, adapting characters into new personas in a way that’s justifiable (it’s not actually the same characters, after all) and not just using its amazing visuals as makeup for a lazy moneymaker.

Overall, it depends on what you want to convey. If you want to give a breath of fresh air to something good and fix what’s bad, it’s one thing. If you want to tell a story from a different angle with a similar message, it’s another. If all you want is doing it because of money and ratings, well...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom