• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation Remakes: will it continue on and on?

Reaction score
I can see them revisiting Gen 4 for an upgraded remake on the Switch. If they decided to remake DP but also include Platinum aspects, we'd be in for a ton of fun with all the dungeons and lengthy routes and free camera movement.

But what about Gen 5? Will Gen 5 receive a remake on the Switch? Does it need a remake? Gen 4 does have its benefits from being a visually impressive game. For Gen 5, there are some places where 3D animation would appear beautifully, like N's castle or Join Avenue. But the Gen 5 games were already in half 2D and half 3D.

Also, gen 5's biggest selling point was its story. That is what concerns me the most: Would they be able to improve on an already good story without messing it up? In another thread posted in the Pokemon Video Games section, Best Main Pokemon Game of the 3DS Era?, we can see an example consensus that ORAS benefited from building on what they already had. But even then ORAS wasn't without problems, with unnecessary teases and incomplete connections to the Mega Evolution lore and Zinnia/Aster's existence not fully explained.

So the question is, do you think remakes will continue on and on?

I think remakes will continue because there is a demand for them and it's an easy way for TPC to make money and keep investors happy. When it comes to remakes, the groundwork has already been done so they have a shorter production time compared to new generations. Unless remakes begin underperforming severely, I don't think they'll go away.

Last edited:
Remakes are there for pretty much why remakes exist for many other franchises as well. Sometimes, having to create a completely new game exhaust resources by the end of its development, but the company can't afford to take a break while not being able to just create another version of the game. Remakes are there so resources can be saved for the next big project. Not only that, but remakes are needed in the gaming industry as they provide many positives. It's how many smaller companies were able to get enough funds to develop their own games.

And for Pokemon, well, they are needed because it's really the only way for Game Freak to save on resources without using the same region three (or in some cases, two) times in a row. So to answer, yes, remakes will continue to be made and I don't see them stopping anytime soon.

I think they'll continue to make remakes, or at least re-releasing the content on newer systems, as they did with RBY and GSC on the eShop for the 3DS. It'll keep older players coming back for the games they knew and loved and get new players coming in to experience the world for the first time; either way, they know they'll make sales off of it. I don't think it's a matter of if they'll continue making remakes but rather which games they'll remake, since from what I've seen with the remakes, they do them to give an updated experience in terms of both graphics and the world itself.

They’re less work and they print money

They don’t even really need to “improve” on BW’s story so much as carry the existing one over relatively faithfully. The thing about ORAS was that its story felt like an improvement because RSE’s story was shite. And graphics are always improving, as far as that matter is concerned. Frankly I don’t think Gen 5 was all that attractive in that department to begin with (aside from the general color palette and some specific areas), what with the grossly pixelated sprites in battles and the awkward perspective on overworld characters and objects like trees.

They could probably just carbon-copy Black&White and just give it a fresh coat of paint.
I feel like the story shouldn't be changed, it's pretty great.

Black and White is interesting because its also got full sequels instead of enhanced 3rd versions. How they would implant the sequels in the remake would be interesting to see. Maybe they will remake the originals and the sequels?

The way I see it, they would have the sequel story be a post-game story involving the restoration of the Original Dragon.

Black and White is interesting because its also got full sequels instead of enhanced 3rd versions. How they would implant the sequels in the remake would be interesting to see. Maybe they will remake the originals and the sequels?

Unova remakes are at least like seven years away at best, and things can change drastically in that amount of time, so it's really hard to say what they might do that far down the line.

At least based on how they do things right now, I would expect B2W2 to just get the same treatment that Emerald got in ORAS. So, the Kyurem plot gets remixed as a post-game arc about Ghetsis's escape and revenge, none of the features get carried over unless they've already embedded themselves as permanent fixtures, and the overworld developments that occurred by the time of B2W2 are merely hinted at as in-world eventualities. The Gym Leaders that retired after BW are replaced by their B2W2 counterparts for the post-game, maybe. Alder obliquely mentions a grandson whom we never see. (Although in fairness, Benga never really did seem to take off with the fanbase like Ingo and Emmet did. Like, I love Bianca, but her getting snubbed in favor of them for inclusion on the Unova 3DS theme is still hilarious to me.)

Last edited:
"The Pokemon World Tournament project has started!"

free camera movement.
Why expect this when it's exclusive to the Wild Area? If they happen to bring that to Sinnoh, expect the routes to get an overhaul. You win some, you lose some.

My general opinion about remakes is that they aren't worth the long wait. You never know what will be added (aside from more modern graphics) and at what expense. If they happen to be good overall, cool. But the anticipation isn't worth even that.

Last edited:
My dream is to have an open-world MMORPG with all the Japanese regions some day.

everytime i think about this, i ask myself... what would be the stopping point? 10-15 years from now, is Game Freak going to re-release Gen 6 and 7? how far are they really going to go? at that point in time, LGPE would've also been considered old, so is Game Freak going to re-release Gen I under a different game, too?

LGPE is interesting because it can very well be the turning point of something different in the series. maybe Game Freak will pursue a semi-remake in the future where there will be a new protagonist and rival and maybe they'll make some changes to the story, but it'll be set in the same regions. at least that way it'll be a new take on an old region without feeling too stale.

but as things currently stand, i feel like the current trend of remakes is bound to get tiring at some point. Gen 4 remakes seem likely, but im not... exactly sure whether from that point forward they're just going to release Unova/Kalos games on whatever Virtual Console equivalent they have at the time. it'll be interesting to see what happens past the possible Gen 4 remakes, at any rate.

Last edited:
I hope they won't stop until Gen 5 is remade. The 3D games don't really need to be remade so maybe they could stop after the Gen 5 remake.

The story of BW1 might be great already but with 3D cutscenes, more expressive characters and really good voice acting it could reach new heights.

It would be like that Gen 5 anime that they teased during the BW2 trailers and Pokémon Generations that never actually happened.

I hope they won't stop until Gen 5 is remade. The 3D games don't really need to be remade so maybe they could stop after the Gen 5 remake.

The story of BW1 might be great already but with 3D cutscenes, more expressive characters and really good voice acting it could reach new heights.

It would be like that Gen 5 anime that they teased during the BW2 trailers and Pokémon Generations that never actually happened.
That and they still can improve by adding the Original Dragon into the post-game storyline as an unseen form for Kyurem to be usable in battles.

I see them continuing, its easy money for them, so why not? Its a good way to fill the gap between new gens. There is no real reason for them stopping so I definately see Gen 5 and above getting remade down the line, but I think thats a long way off from now.

My thought on this is they will always make a remake if they think it will sell well with minimal effort, but for argument's sake I think DP is really the last title that demands a remake. The DP games are kind of tough to play now, because they operate fairly slowly, the music is a little off, etc. Platinum did fix a lot of the issues, but for the most part I think Sinnoh could use a better platform. As far as Gen V, I think it is still extremely playable, in fact I still play it quite frequently. I don't think anything Game Freak does nowadays would make Gen V better (in fact it would almost certainly be made worse) except for the obvious visual improvements, and possibly better online play(although they butcher that a lot too). I'm not sure its worth remaking an entire game just for visual updates, I think every other remake to date brought a little more to the table (although arguably ORAS wasn't super necessary either beyond visual and online play and a little postgame content, RSE is still pretty playable, maybe that's why people were less hyped about ORAS than the other remakes). Some of the newer games seem like visual over quality anyway, so I'm not sure I want Gen V to be brought down that path (however, of course I would still play the remakes if they existed). The other hard part is Gen V is the first time where the two versions are fairly different, and both quite good, if they remade BW, would they have Aspertia, Flocessy, Virbank in the games? Its a long ways down the road, but I feel like even in 7 years, Gen V will still be quite playable, so I don't think its necessary, but economics will decide rather than quality of game. I'd actually argue Gen VI could be more in use of a remake than Gen V, because Gen VI is kind of where visual over quality began, and as a visual game, naturally improved visuals would have impact (I'm pretty surprised just how not impressive Gen VI looks now after playing VIII, and for XY visual was a big part of its appeal), plus Kalos really didn't get much compared to other regions, that being said I'm sure they wouldn't skip a Gen, so that point isn't very relevant. [Side note, I still love XY and ORAS]. The funny question is even remaking Sinnoh they would have to have a bigger dex than SwS got, if they remade Unova and beyond they would be stuck with a huge dex or being worse than the original in a sense (which would be interesting). Unova also has way more locations than, say, Galar, so even with the ease of remakes, they actually may have more work coming their way with some of these titles because they didn't slack as much for old games as they do now, so they would either make the remakes have less content (which would piss a lot of people off royally), or actually have to put in some effort.

To me, generations in which they have yet to have their major plot points solved and legendaries to receive forms who got left out in their original games are the ones that should get remakes first. Plus, as it was said, Game Freak will simply not skip any generation for remakes just because some people want them to. For their time, Pokemon Black and White sold really well in Japan, sure it was less than Gen 4, but still enough for Game Freak to want to remake them. However, I do doubt that they will remake the entire sequel of the games, which is why a post-game episode is the next best thing for having its elements in the remake.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom