• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Remastered episodes?

Midnight Blue

~Love Is Hard To Define~
Reaction score
Just curious, if the animators wanted to, would you like to see remastered episodes? With newly added scenes maybe?

For the added scenes part, I dunno what to put for newly added scenes, especially for the episodes that aired over a decade ago.

For Dragon Box, didn't they restore the colors for Dragon Ball and DBZ and DBGT to what they originally were (aside from removing some grain)? That's what I'd be interested in seeing Japan do for Pokemon.

Japan doesn't even make DVDs, they have no confidence in Otaku fans. Why would they remaster for when they have no confidence?

For Dragon Box, didn't they restore the colors for Dragon Ball and DBZ and DBGT to what they originally were (aside from removing some grain)? That's what I'd be interested in seeing Japan do for Pokemon.

They didn't remove grain, as grain is part of the actual image. What they did do was properly remaster everything, clean up the image and remove damage.

Japan doesn't even make DVDs, they have no confidence in Otaku fans. Why would they remaster for when they have no confidence?

Japan has DVDs. Aside from those one-episode-per-disc collection things they put out that ended up covering about half of DP anyway, they also have rental DVDs that cover everything. They're up to roughly where the English dub is currently at.

They also did home releases of the complete series back at the beginning, but they got canceled after the 5 first Jouto volumes, likely due to slipping sales. They were initially VHS-only, but from the start of Jouto, DVD versions were also released.

Well, I would like there to be selected episodes to be remastered like the first episode. And the added scene idea, I got that from Detective Conan, where some remastered episodes got newly added scenes.

Like DBZ Kai

I would like that idea, so how bout it POKEMON KAI any1?? ;)

Dragonball Kai isn't remastered, it's a cut-up version of Dragonball Z that shortens long scenes of nothing and axes filler scenes that were only in Z to kill time. Yeah, there's the odd scene that's redrawn digitally (reDRAWn, not reMASTERED), but they usually look like crap, and were never the selling point in the first place.

Pokemon is episodic, fast-paced and not adapted from a manga. It's literally impossible to give it the Kai treatment.

Yankees4Lief said:
I would like that idea, so how bout it POKEMON KAI any1?? ;)

That wouldn't really work because of the different ways both shows are set up. DBZ is one ongoing story, and each episode is a small part of that big picture. Pocket Monsters, on the other hand, is a bunch of self contained stories that only have a loose connection to one another.

With Pocket Monsters Kai, all they'd be able to do is cut out entire filler episodes, and that would suck since some of the best episodes in the series are fillers.

Edit: Or, what Adamant said.

That wouldn't really work because of the different ways both shows are set up. DBZ is one ongoing story, and each episode is a small part of that big picture. Pocket Monsters, on the other hand, is a bunch of self contained stories that only have a loose connection to one another.

With Pokemon Kai, all they'd be able to do is cut out entire filler episodes, and that would suck since some of the best episodes in the series are fillers.

Edit: Or, what Adamant said.
BUT

Even if the best fillers were cut out, I would actually watch it cause it would just be the Kanto(or any other saga) done right.

But... you can already do that. Just, you know, rewatch an arc and skip the episodes you don't want to watch.

How about Sinnoh without Contests? Now that would be worth being done. And it would actually require some reworking to make it fit.

No demand, no need.

How about Sinnoh without Contests? Now that would be worth being done. And it would actually require some reworking to make it fit.

No demand, no need.

But that would also mean Dawn would either have a different purpose, which given the lack of sidegames in D/P/Pl outside of Contests would be pretty difficult, or be completely useless to the series since her Contest arc took up the majority of her development. While I didn't like Dawn myself by a certain point and I prefer AG over DP in terms of Contests, I wouldn't want DP to not have any Contests. There were some parts of the DP Contests that I did enjoy. Besides, the point of DBZ Kai is to eliminate the filler from the original DBZ series. Even if you disliked all of the Contests in Sinnoh, there are few, if any, that would actually qualify as filler.

But that would also mean Dawn would either have a different purpose, which given the lack of sidegames in D/P/Pl outside of Contests would be pretty difficult, or be completely useless to the series since her Contest arc took up the majority of her development. While I didn't like Dawn myself by a certain point and I prefer AG over DP in terms of Contests, I wouldn't want DP to not have any Contests. There were some parts of the DP Contests that I did enjoy. Besides, the point of DBZ Kai is to eliminate the filler from the original DBZ series. Even if you disliked all of the Contests in Sinnoh, there are few, if any, that would actually qualify as filler.

Was anything Dawn learned and developed as a character expressed in other episodes afterwards that weren't also Contest episodes? If not, then one could classify them as filler.

Was anything Dawn learned and developed as a character expressed in other episodes afterwards that weren't also Contest episodes? If not, then one could classify them as filler.

I don't really understand your logic here. If something that helped Dawn developed as a character expressed in other episodes that weren't in Contests, then they could be labeled as filler. Maybe it's just me, but when any episode has some character development, then it wouldn't be filler at all. While Contests were a key part in Dawn's development, there were also some training episodes that might count for development and there were some parts of DP where Dawn's training style inspired Ash to combine it with his own style for his Gym battles. That mainly appeared with that spinning dodge in his rematch for the first Gym and the Counter Shield against Fantina.

So eliminating Contests wouldn't be like getting rid of filler episodes, not matter how much you or other people, including myself, may have disliked that part of the series. Not to be mean, but it doesn't seem, to me, that you have much of any knowledge of how Contests affected Dawn's character by asking that question. It just sounds like you didn't like Contests, so you'd prefer that they were cut out, despite how it was a heavily important to the series and definitely not filler.

Character development, if never expressed again, doesn't make a difference. It would be like if Ash realized some hidden power Pikachu had, such as powerful Return like move, then never went back to it again. The development Pikachu and Ash had would be pointless as it would never be addressed again.

I don't claim to know exactly how contests affected Dawn, I am just saying if any character development is not addressed, it doesn't make a difference.

Character development, if never expressed again, doesn't make a difference. It would be like if Ash realized some hidden power Pikachu had, such as powerful Return like move, then never went back to it again. The development Pikachu and Ash had would be pointless as it would never be addressed again.

The example you gave doesn't really sound like character development. Maybe some bonding between Ash and Pikachu leading up to that new move would be count as character development, depending on what happened and how it affects Ash and Pikachu, but just finding/learning a new move alone may not count as character development. I wouldn't call it pointless either. Even if it wasn't mentioned again, it would have been important due to Pikachu learning a new move, which would come up again in his future battles.

cohen said:
I don't claim to know exactly how contests affected Dawn, I am just saying if any character development is not addressed, it doesn't make a difference.

Well, my memory is a bit rusty about some of the middle of the DP contests since I haven't seen Battle Dimensions and Galactic Battles in a long time. Still, there were those episodes after Dawn lost her second Contest in a row where Dawn struggled emotionally about continuing her Contest quest, battling Maylene to bring them both out of their depression, even though it mainly helped Maylene, which all lead to her second ribbon in the Wallace Cup. Plus, with Dawn, her development throughout DP, specifically through Contests, showed her from getting emotional after losing to accepting it, even though I thought she was too happy/calm after losing the Grand Festival, and seeing her skills as a Coordinator grow. All of that is kind of important, even if it isn't directly referred to later on. The audience can see her growth by comparing how Dawn acted at the beginning to how she was at the end of the Grand Festival, even though I still think she was much too calm with losing in the final match, but that's beside the point. Her development wouldn't be the same if there weren't any Contests.

There's also the fact that her Contest battle style allowed for Ash to come up with a couple of battle tactics for some of his Gym matches, one of which, the Counter Shield, came up also in his first six-on-six match against Paul, so Contests had a big effect on Ash throughout DP as well. So, even if you dislike Contests, which I think you've mentioned before you do, or dislike Dawn, which I honestly do, the Contests in DP can't really be seen as filler.

There's also Jessie's development as a Coordinator, going from being lazy and thinking she could cheat her way to the Grand Festival to winning ribbons on her own and even almost throwing away a ribbon handed over to her right before the Grand Festival started, so getting rid of Contests wouldn't be like getting rid of filler. It would pretty much alter a good chuck of the series, making quite a bit of character development disappear and force the writers to either come up with a different role for Dawn to play in this supposed DP Kai, animate scenes depicting that goal, having a different way for Ash to get those two dodge moves, change Jessie's development completely as well or eliminate Dawn's character entirely. All of that sounds like too much work for them to do and there's no reason for them to do any of that. Not to mention it would be too expensive and there's more focus on promoting the current series, and thus the current generation of Pokemon, than altering an already completed series.

Have they released or re-released the original series on like blu-ray(they have that right?) or DVD? In the past few years? Like from 2005 to now?

Last edited:
Have they released or re-released the original series on like blue ray(they have that right?) or DVD? In the past few years? Like from 2005 to now?

No, they have not. And I highly doubt any Pokemon episode or movie will be on blu-ray any year soon. (Yes, they do have it, and American and Japan are even in the same region.)

No, they have not. And I highly doubt any Pokemon episode or movie will be on blu-ray any year soon. (Yes, they do have it, and American and Japan are even in the same region.)

With Sony DVD players, region doesn't matter.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom