• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Remixing Gen VI+ cries

PokéSean

Aka: LPCDDude, Cardcaptor Sean, TheLegoCat, etc.
Reaction score
What would Gen VI+ sound like in 2D?

Yeah! What would Gen VI+ Pokémon sound like in Gens I-V games?

I think Kalos cries sound very Unova-like overall, I wouldn't be surprised if they were made with the same software or something. Except for Vivillion, Florges, Doublade, Aromatisse, Heliolisk, Aurorus, Xerneas, Yveltal and Diancie which would sound shorter and would use less high notes.

Alola Pokemon sound different and most of them use new instruments and techniques, I don't think things like Charjabug, Oricorio and Stufful would be possible. They would sound more "normal" and generic. The UB effect would be more simple too.

They would sound less realistic and more exaggerated. Quite a few of the 3DS gen Pokemon have cries which sound similar to real animal cries, which probably would have taken too much space on the DS.

I disagree that Unova cries sound similar to Kalos cries - a lot of them have noticeable differences between their original Gen V and new Gen VI versions (much to my chagrin).

I think you can't just divide the cries into "pre-gen 6" and "post-gen 6." I'd say there is the first batch, gens 1-3, which sound 8-bit and digital. Then there is gen 4/5, which start to incorporate more realistic sounds (using MIDI, my ear tells me) but still having a digital quality. Then gen 6/7 give us the more realistic sounding cries, as well as re-doing the old ones in that style. However, the old ones try to keep the same sound/feel as the originals, while just making them sound realistic. For instance, Psyduck keeps the same changes in pitches and stuff, but it also adds some timbral effects that make it also sound like a duck is making that noise.

So, in short, I think the main answer to the question would be to strip each "post-gen 6" cry of any effects or realistic timbres, and recreate the overarching pitch qualities using MIDI, or 8-bit sounds if you wanna go THAT far back.

If you wanna look at an example, let's do... Like, Primarina. It sounds like it's singing in its cry, with no real added effects. All you'd have to do is make a tone (like by layering sine waves or something) and have it recreated the pitches sung in Primarina's cry.

I think another question to be asked.... Why? What would be the purpose of doing this?

I’m guessing Sylveon’s cry would sound like any other Pokémon in the Eeveelution line and Fairy Acures may sound like any other Arcues from IV-V. Greninja could sound a bit like Swampert’s 2D cry.

And to add. On Pokémon GO, Persian’s cry sounds a bit like its 2D cry a little.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom