• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Remove Trade Evolutions

Weiss

Cold As Ice
Reaction score
I really wish GameFreak would remove Trade Evolutions. My family and I are all huge Pokémon fans so this isn’t about not having the option to trade. I also have at least two of every handheld since the the original GameBoy so I could trade with myself or do it online. It just feels outdated to me and a pain in the butt.

Am I alone?

What would you propose then for the current trade evolutions? If anything, I would keep the Karrablast and Shelmet one since it sort of makes sense on a biological level, but would the other ones revert to normal level-based or maybe level-based while holding an item?

I’d be happy with either I think holding the item while happy is most likely if it ever was to change perhaps at night for Haunter etc.

What would you propose then for the current trade evolutions? If anything, I would keep the Karrablast and Shelmet one since it sort of makes sense on a biological level, but would the other ones revert to normal level-based or maybe level-based while holding an item?

Karrablast and Shelmet make sense, but then on the other hand, Slowpoke evolves without ever actually needing to come into contact with a Shellder, and both Magnemite and Beldum/Metang can evolve even if you only have just one in your party. Hypothetically, they could get away with simple level-up evolutions for those two if they wanted to, although I personally would argue that it's those older Pokémon that need to be updated and made more accurate to their lore (although what a pain for Mega Metagross that would be, considering that, and I quote - "This form results from one Metagross, one Metang, and two Beldum linking up." You thought you only needed a Key Stone and some Metagrossite? Bad news...).

As far as trade evolutions as a concept go, I do think they have outstayed their relevance. They never exactly made a lot of sense to begin with in terms of in-universe logic, but version-exclusive Pokémon already accomplish what trade evolutions are supposed to without as much of a risk element (since you'll most likely be wanting your trade evolution back, you have to be sure that your trading partner is trustworthy), and the fact that we have global Wi-Fi capabilities now means that the trading scene is not going to dry up any time soon. People are already eager to perform trades. Eliminating trade evolutions isn't going to change that.

I feel trade evos are a bit like 2-turn moves and recharge moves.

Nobody likes them, but accepts them because they have been holding on for a long time now and are pretty much a staple.

Nobody likes them, but accepts them because they have been holding on for a long time now and are pretty much a staple.

Yeah I doubt they’ll ever be removed but my youngest wanted a Gangar and she had to wait to trade with her sister it just reminded me how annoying it is.

Two-turn moves offer some strategic value though Dig/Fly allow you to avoid a powerful attack. Solar/Hyper Beam would possibly be to strong? thinks

Yes, trade evolutions are simply the worst. It's the primary reason why that lady in Snowpoint City sucks, when you go to trade Medichan for her Haunter, she makes her Haunter hold an Everstone, so basically, she cheapened the deal by not allowing you to obtain an easy Gengar.

Agreed! I want 'em gone. Either implement a new way for them to evolve, or, and hear me out, put in-game NPCs who will do Trade Evolutions for you.

Simply have a trainer who wants to evolve their Pokemon that needs to evolve through trade. You talk to them, they state this, and after you accept the trade it goes through a short cycle where they trade with you, and then trade you right back so they can have your Pokemon back, and you can have yours.

Or just implement new methods of evolution for them. The ones who just need to be traded to evolve can be given a level, and have to have max happiness or friendship or something. The ones that need an item could be holding the item, while having a level to evolve at, and they have to be holding the item at that level (or above) to evolve.

I can take version exclusive Pokemon being a thing, but trade evolutions never needed a place in the series, and I would be welcome to them removing them at any time.

If they get rid of trade evolutions, then there has to be some way to increase the Beauty stat for Feebas every game. Maybe include a special shop for Pokeblocks or Poffins.

Pokémon Refresh-esque mechanic would work also but I really like your idea.

Oh no yes definitely. They feel like the norm one and we've learned to accept. Too bad there's no Power Herb for Trade Evos lol.

Just to add since this is about trade evos, remember in Pokémon DP where the person trades you a Haunter but it's holding an Everstone. Still ticks me off :annoyedVoltorb:

Another factor to consider is that trades are not free on the Switch, so the trade evolutions are potentially locked behind a paywall.
They need to die if we need money to evolve our Pokemon.

Oh I never thought of that will they require Nintendo online confirmed?

Indeed. I agree with this, especially since a paywall now blocks trade evolutions, making them more of a chore than ever. That's the real problem I have with the Switch's online service, as virtually EVERYTHING that isn't Eshop needs access to the NOS in order to maximize its usage. And that costs money. So, they need to do away with trade evolutions and just modify the evolutions we currently have to better accommodate the new "rules" that the Switch enforces on us. It's not like they haven't modified evolutions before, like with Feebas, and in some side-games they have alternate options for what you need to evolve your Mons, so why not just do it that way and put trade evolutions to bed for good. Version exclusives are fine and dandy, as they're not that big of a deal, but trade evolutions need to get the axe, especially now that we don't have the same freedoms with the Switch as the DS, 3DS, and even the Gameboy family, had.

Indeed. I agree with this, especially since a paywall now blocks trade evolutions, making them more of a chore than ever. That's the real problem I have with the Switch's online service, as virtually EVERYTHING that isn't Eshop needs access to the NOS in order to maximize its usage. And that costs money. So, they need to do away with trade evolutions and just modify the evolutions we currently have to better accommodate the new "rules" that the Switch enforces on us. It's not like they haven't modified evolutions before, like with Feebas, and in some side-games they have alternate options for what you need to evolve your Mons, so why not just do it that way and put trade evolutions to bed for good. Version exclusives are fine and dandy, as they're not that big of a deal, but trade evolutions need to get the axe, especially now that we don't have the same freedoms with the Switch as the DS, 3DS, and even the Gameboy family, had.

Let's just remove the paywall :y

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom