• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Requested Bots & Templates

evkl

Person-about-Bulba
Reaction score
Use this thread to request templates or bots.

Be sure to submit requests in the following format:

[Type of article]: Games, Anime, Manga, 'Dex, Movedex, or any other.
[Bot function]: What would this bot have to do?
[Bot/Template Name]: Well, yeah...
[Pages affected]: What pages (or category) would be affected?
[Reason]: Purpose of the bot or template.
[Source Material]: If a bot, where would the bot pull its information from?
[Template Appearance]: If a template, describe how it would look. Horizontal? Vertical? etc.

Last edited:
Don't forget [Bot name] - we can't have all of them coalesced together as BulbaBot.

Well, I had one in mind:

[Bot name] Animebot

[Type of article]: Anime

[Bot function]: Create articles for each episode of the anime, listing Japanese name, translated name, dub name, original airdate, and first dub airdate, as well as it's name in the bulbapedia (Ex - EP005 or AG005). Possibly also add the basic template already seen in the few episode guides available: Synopsis, Episode Guide, Character, Introductions, Pokémon Debuts, Trivia, Errors. And perhaps "Important Characters", as well to let readers know who is involved in the episode. It could also add a browsing template on the bottom linking to the previous episode and the next episode.

[Pages affected]: The few episode guides we have up, now.

[Reason]: Getting the basic information up would help facilitate writing the articles. There are now enough episodes of the anime, including AG, to rival the sheer volume of moves or Pokemon in existance in the games.

[Source Material]: I don't know. Any suggestions?

[Template Appearance]: I'm not sure. Whatever looks best. Although I'd like to see the basic episode information (Airdates, Titles, and Episode number) listed vertically near the top of every article.

I'm not sure if it's a good idea, but aside from the individual TCG cards, it's the only other aspect of the fandom that exists in such large quantity to as require a bot - aside from in-game data.

We can't really set up a bot if we don't have source material to work with.

I am not presently aware of any reasonably complete episode synopsis set, although certainly we can use a composite of sources, but it might still have gaps.

The raw facts - episode number, series, titles, airdates are easy enough to find and organise though.

BTW, there are only about 400 episodes of Pokémon, not including the 50+ side story episodes, movies, shorts and specials. There are 386 Pokémon, not including glitches, Munchlax or Lucario, and 354 moves, not including Shadow Rush.

The raw facts - episode number, series, titles, airdates are easy enough to find and organise though.

That's pretty much what I had in mind, but the other parts of the article could be left blank - but with he headers included only IE "Important Characters" or "Pokemon Debuts" could be created in the article to be filled in latter.

• Staff
[Type of article]: Games (Mechanics)
[Bot function]: Add Ability articles. i.e., Arena Trap (Ability)
[Bot/Template Name]: AbilityAdder?
[Pages affected]: Abilities.
[Reason]: To show the info provided on the current "Abilities" page along with more detail, like describing (possibly) tactical value and especially a learned list for that abilitiy.
[Source Material]: Pogeydex/Abilities page.

Can be done fairly easily, although I'll need to update my database to include Pokémon information for that.

[Bot Name]DexBot

[Type of Article]Dex Articles (Pokedex, Movedex)

[Function]Extract info from one or more pages on the Internet into pedia code for easy human addition (It's not a true-blue bot)

[Pages Affected] Pokemon Pages, Move Pages

[Reason] It takes too long to do manually, but a true bot is liable to hiccup with such difficult processing

[Source Material] Various info pages accross the net, depending on where information is.

Note: The bot would probably work like thus: Someone'd make it from javascript, get it approved, place it on Bulbapedia, then people can use it to auto-extract information to paste into the articles.

[Template Name]TypeAffinInfoBox

[Type of Article] Pokemon

[Function]Make it easier to figure out weaknesses and strengths for dual-types as opposed to current Battle Properties

[Pages Affected]All Pokemon articles

[Reason] I think that dual-type attributes should be easier to see

[Template Appearence]Probably a vertical strip, could even become a part of the regular infobox

I had an idea for a template for shipping articles, and was wondering what others thought...

[Template Name] shippingtemplate or some such

[Type of Article] Isn't there a Project:Shipping that hasn't done anything yet?

[Function] To standardise the appearance and content of shipping articles.

[Pages Affected] All articles about individual ships.

[Reason] Just 'cause.

[Template Appearance] See attached image.

Last edited:
[Type of article]: Movedex
[Bot function]: Create move redirects from [Move] to [Move] (move)
[Source Material]: same place as it's pulled from before I guess :d

That one is doable. I'll get to it now.

And it's done.

Last edited:
[Type of article]: 'Dex
[Bot function]: Insert the location that the pokemon is in the games Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald/FireRed/LeafGreen
[Bot/Template Name]: Location Adder
[Pages affected]: The Pokemon Species pages
[Reason]: So it doesn't take a very long time to add every pokemon in
[Source Material]: Serebii's PokeDex(http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-rs/) or Legendary Pokemon's PokeDex at http://legendarypokemon.net/pokedex/
[Template Appearance]: Well see the example on http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Wurmple_(Pokémon)

You're going to need to provide a much better source than HTML pages that need to be transcribed manually. Fortunately, I'm working on get a complete Pokédex database already - after that it will be a simple matter of writing the program which will convert the data to wikicode and insert it into the page.

So, what exactly is in this database you're working on, and how long do you estimate until its completion?

I'm asking so I don't start adding data you're working on anyway.

It's pretty much everything important from the GBA relevant to Pokémon, with the exception of sprites and graphics. (Detailed Move Tutor information (i.e. with location/name of move tutor) is missing however.)

I cannot give an estimated completion yet. I'm still in the middle of compiling the data into a format that I can more easily use.

I would like to request a bot with the following specs, as required by the first post:

All articles. Project namespace too.
Change episode/chapter/song titles from italics to “quoted”.
Whatever name the botwriter wants. Or LaprasBot.
All article and project pages.
In English writing, italics are for longer whole works, like books, films, albums, and series. Shorter works and sections of longer works, including chapters, scenes, songs, and episodes, are set in (double )quotes.
I dunno exactly what the best way to give it instructions would be, except maybe to give it a list of all the things that need to be changed, e.g. ''[[EP#|Title]]''→“[[EP#|Title]]”. I could write the list if somebody gave me an example of how it should be written for the bot to interpret it.

Last edited:
I would like to request a bot with the following specs, as required by the first post:

All articles. Project namespace too.
Change episode/chapter/song titles from italics to “quoted”.

Some of those are translations. Translations are in italics.

In English writing, italics are for longer whole works, like books, films, albums, and series. Shorter works and sections of longer works, including chapters, scenes, songs, and episodes, are set in (double )quotes.

I've never seen this in print - my experience is that quote marks are used for - well - quotes, and of course the so-called "scary quotes".

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom