• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Requested Bots & Templates

You know how we have link templates to refer to two different games? That doesn't work for two entirely different games. We should have a template so we can link to Diamond and Platinum and stuff like that.

[Type of article]: None: read info below.
[Bot function]: Temporarily delete the userspace editing righs of a user when he/she reaches the daily limit. The rights will be restored the next day.
[Bot/Template Name]: TheOriginalBot (or, if its mandatory that the name has to do with the function, then UserBot)
[Pages affected]: Userspace pages
[Reason]: Prevent the users from being too much focused on their userspace rather then the mainspace; it saves half of the staff work when it comes to the Userspace Policy.
[Source Material]: The user contributions?

[Type of article]: None: read info below.
[Bot function]: Temporarily delete the userspace editing righs of a user when he/she reaches the daily limit. The rights will be restored the next day.
[Bot/Template Name]: TheOriginalBot (or, if its mandatory that the name has to do with the function, then UserBot)
[Pages affected]: Userspace pages
[Reason]: Prevent the users from being too much focused on their userspace rather then the mainspace; it saves half of the staff work when it comes to the Userspace Policy.
[Source Material]: The user contributions?

[Problem]: People who still use the Userspace to groom articles for the mainspace.

As Nate said, there are legitimate reasons for editing the userspace beyond the limit, including, but not limited to, removing redlinks that would appear on the wanted pages and preparing new mainspace templates, both of which are actually fairly common. Also, the bot would require much more user rights than is desirable, as it would have to actively edit the usergroups of a user - something that is restricted to senior administrators currently. Add to that that it is actually really easy to spot repeated userspace edits on the Recent Changes and doesn't take long at all to respond to and you end up with a bot that would cause more work than it would save.

Can we have a bot on the Archives change all "[http://www.hardrock-pokemon.com hardrock-pokemon.com]" to "[http://pokevault.com/ Pokevault.com]"? The site changed domains due to some copyright issues, and it will no longer redirect there starting August. It's linking for image credits.

[Type of article]: Categories
[Bot function]: Move articles from one category to another
[Bot/Template Name]: CategoryBot
[Pages affected]: All categories that need to be moved
[Reason]: To be able to move categories
[Source Material]: Notice template
[Template Appearance]: I guess like the incomplete template, to tell the bot which category to move

[Type of article]: Categories
[Bot function]: Move articles from one category to another
[Bot/Template Name]: CategoryBot
[Pages affected]: All categories that need to be moved
[Reason]: To be able to move categories
[Source Material]: Notice template
[Template Appearance]: I guess like the incomplete template, to tell the bot which category to move

AWB can do this perfectly well. I don't see a specific bot for it necessary.

[Type of article]: N/A
[Bot function]: Instantly block spambots, sockpuppets, and users with inappropriate usernames.
[Bot/Template name]: BlockBot
[Pages affected]: N/A
[Reason]: So that the admins can focus on more important projects than blocking spambots, sockpuppets, and users with inappropriate usernames.
[Source material]: It will have a spambot detector to identify and block spambots. Once a user is autoconfirmed, it will search through the list of blocked users to be able to see if the new user is a sockpuppet of a currently blocked user who has account creation blocked. Finally, it will have a list of inappropriate words programmed into it to help identify users with inappropriate usernames.

[Type of article]: N/A
[Bot function]: Instantly block spambots, sockpuppets, and users with inappropriate usernames.
[Bot/Template name]: BlockBot
[Pages affected]: N/A
[Reason]: So that the admins can focus on more important projects than blocking spambots, sockpuppets, and users with inappropriate usernames.
[Source material]: It will have a spambot detector to identify and block spambots. Once a user is autoconfirmed, it will search through the list of blocked users to be able to see if the new user is a sockpuppet of a currently blocked user who has account creation blocked. Finally, it will have a list of inappropriate words programmed into it to help identify users with inappropriate usernames.

I'm sorry, but we really can't do this. Blocking spambots, sockpuppets, and inappropriate usernames is not something that should ever be handled by a bot. Proper and accurate detection for all three of these requires the human touch. A name such as "Cofagrigus Fan" could easily be flagged as inappropriate by a bot since the name contains the word "fag", while a human would notice that it's an entirely acceptable username.

[Type of article]:N/A
[Bot Function]: Delete large amounts of pages, e. g. all of the pages in a category or a page once the delete template is slapped on.
[Bot/Template name]: Spybotter or DeleteBot
[Pages affected]: Pages to be deleted
[Reason]: To make life easier.
[Source material]: Categories

On a side note, Redirect Fixer seems like a useful bot, so why isn't it doing anything anymore?

[Type of article]:N/A
[Bot Function]: Delete large amounts of pages, e. g. all of the pages in a category or a page once the delete template is slapped on.
[Bot/Template name]: Spybotter or DeleteBot
[Pages affected]: Pages to be deleted
[Reason]: To make life easier.
[Source material]: Categories

On a side note, Redirect Fixer seems like a useful bot, so why isn't it doing anything anymore?

Deletion powers are limited to Administrators. Not even junior admins have deletion powers. A bot such as this one effectively gives them to all users. This defeats the purpose of limiting to staff - limiting vandalism issues and ensuring that the decision to ultimately delete a page is made by a person who understands our policies. There are plenty of pages recently which have been tagged for deletion when they should not be deleted.

The reason a redirect fixing bot isn't functioning is that 1) it's not as simple as it sounds and 2) there are valid reasons for linking to redirects.

The reason a redirect fixing bot isn't functioning is that 1) it's not as simple as it sounds and 2) there are valid reasons for linking to redirects.

While I don't know specifically why it no longer works, the second half of your statement indicates that you're not entirely sure what it did. It used to only fix double redirects, not any article which linked to a redirect. I believe it broke in a MediaWiki update, but I believe fixing it would be not too difficult.

We could make it an admin, or we could promote Bulbabot and give it that function.

We could make it an admin, or we could promote Bulbabot and give it that function.

That's not what Werdnae is getting at. What he means is that the decision whether a page needs to be deleted or not needs to come from a qualified human staff member. Giving such power to a bot only results in effectively giving the delete power to every single registered user. All a vandal would have to do is mass spam "{{delete}}" onto important articles, and the bot would delete them nearly instantly. It's not something we'll ever do, it's simply a massive security risk.

What about a bot that undoes vandalism? Wikipedia has several of those.
Thanks for your suggestion, Spyspotter, but in my opinion it isn't necessary. Unlike Wikipedia, Bulbapedia rarely suffers vandalism, and so when it does the users tend to undo it quickly. So this should be left entirely to us, as creating a bot is already difficult in the first place.

Last edited:
Whilst I was adding all the ORAS tutor moves for every species, I noticed that Template:Learnlist/tutorf/6 has a parameter for "form=yes" (alternate forms) and "form=mega" (Mega Evolutions), but neither of those quite applies to Groudon and to a lesser extent Kyogre. The template is locked, or else I'd add in a "form=primal" for this special case.

Additionally, and this one's more important... I'm getting ready to write a processor to generate lists of Pokémon that can learn moves by tutoring for each of the moves' articles. For example: Gunk Shot. The problem is, the Moveheader/tutor/6 and Moveentry/tutor templates don't support ORAS yet. Once again, I can't make the changes myself because I'm a mere peasant.

If someone could edit those templates in preparation for the ORAS tutor moves, I can take care of editing the respective articles.

EDIT:
Template:Moveheader/tutor/6 should be updated to show the following:

Code:
! width="35px" style="{{#ifeq: {{{1|no}}}|no|display:none;|}} text-align:center; background:#025DA6; color: #FFF; line-height: 1em;" | '''{{color2|fff|Pokémon X and Y|XY}}'''
! width="35px" style="{{#ifeq: {{{2|no}}}|no|display:none;|}} text-align:center; background:#AB2813; color: #FFF; line-height: 1em;" | '''{{color2|fff|Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire|ORAS}}'''<noinclude>
[[Category:Learnlist templates]]</noinclude>

Template:Moveentry/tutor should be updated to add the following column right before the <noinclude> tag:

Code:
! style="{{#ifeq: {{{15|no}}}|X|display:none;|}} background:#{{#ifeq: {{{15|no}}}|no|FFFFFF|C87365}}; color: #FFF" width="40px" | {{#ifeq: {{{15|}}}|yes|✔|}}
Even with these changes, though, an additional column will added to all tutor tables using generation 6, even without specifying ORAS. Is there a way to make these templates backward-compatible, or does every instance of {{Moveentry/tutor}} need to be updated after applying the changes to the template itself?

Last edited:
[Type of article]: TCG
[Bot function]: Not a bot, but a table
[Bot/Template Name]: Cards with Weakness and Resistance errors
[Pages affected]: User:Jdrawer/Cards with Weakness and Resistance errors
[Reason]: To organize the material
[Source Material]: Not a bot
[Template Appearance]: The top row would say "Cards with Weakness and Resistance errors" in bold. Then there would be a divider for each Pokemon and mega, With three columns: "Types," "Acceptable Weaknesses," and "Acceptable Resistances," all under a divider header with the Pokemon's name. Each divider would be given the TCG color of its primary type, as listed in the games (Poliwrath would be Water, not Fighting, etc.). Then the cards would be listed underneath.

If it helps, you can look at User:Jdrawer/Cards with Weakness and Resistance errors. If this is in the wrong place, I offer my sincerest apologies and feel free to move it. Thank you!

[Type of article]: All (except for template)
[Bot function]: Manage interlang links
[Bot/Template Name]: User:2P_(CP)
[Pages affected]: All (except for template)
[Source Material]: index.php or api.php on each site of Encyclopaediae Pokemonis
[Reason]: I've been operating this bot on all wikis except for Bulbapedia. When this bot optimize interlang links, it looks for associated page in each language and make a list of these pages first. Then my bot starts editing articles so the resource to update interlang doesn't increase so much even if the bot do edit on one more wiki. This may sound selfish reason but I think it not efficient to run plural bots for one article to do update interlang.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom