• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Requested Bots & Templates

I've never seen this in print - my experience is that quote marks are used for - well - quotes, and of course the so-called "scary quotes".
Really? Um, it’s standard MLA style. Used by Wikipedia, every school I’ve attended, and quite a number of serious publications, in America anyway. MLA is essentially one of THE handbooks for academic and other non-technical writing. Here is a copy of the relevant guidelines, from Purdue University’s website.
The Bulbapedia MoS says “Bulbapedia is designed to be an encyclopedia, and as such should contain the best possible level of literary style.”
Well, in English, MLA is definitely among “the best possible level of literary style”. It would take a little research to check, but I am pretty sure other major style guides, like Chicago, the AP, Fowler’s, and Oxford would agree.

Oh, and, on translations, I can’t find any guidelines, but, I agree they should be italicized. Just, with quotes too when they are episode or song titles.

Last edited:
Really? Um, it’s standard MLA style. Used by Wikipedia, every school I’ve attended, and quite a number of serious publications, in America anyway. MLA is essentially one of THE handbooks for academic and other non-technical writing. Here is a copy of the relevant guidelines, from Purdue University’s website.
The Bulbapedia MoS says “Bulbapedia is designed to be an encyclopedia, and as such should contain the best possible level of literary style.”
Well, in English, MLA is definitely among “the best possible level of literary style”.

One of many, which is the problem here, isn't it. I do hold one thing against quote marks though: I have had the experience of people editing pages for the sole purpose of correcting British punctuation style (which permits commas, full stops, etc. to follow or precede a closing quote mark) to American style. What's worse is that people aren't aware that such a difference exists, unlike, say, the difference between British and American spelling. (There's a story about a Harry Potter 6 forgery that was detected by the fact that though it used British spelling, American punctuation rules were followed.) Another gripe I have with quote marks is the use of so-called "smart" quotes, or rather, the inconsistent use thereof. (This can be troublesome when linking to articles with quote marks or apostrophes embedded in the title.) Interestingly, MLA seems to endorse British usage.

With italics, no such precedent exists, and of course the most logical thing to do is to italicise only the portion that is being quoted.

To be honest though, I think it has more to do with the fact that I rarely see song titles, chapter titles or episode titles in print. In any case, I note that the MLA guidelines are for citations, as in a bibliography section, not for inline text.

It would take a little research to check, but I am pretty sure other major style guides, like Chicago, the AP, Fowler’s, and Oxford would agree.
Bulbanews follows the same convention as Bulbapedia, and I believe Argy modelled that after AP style.

Italics are technically not supposed to be used in AP style, but only because AP computers (the wire service) can't process different typefaces.

However, I quote this entry of the AP Stylebook:

word as word said:
When italics are available, a word used as a word should be italicized.

Italics are not available to highlight this type of word use on the news wires. When a news story must use a word as a word, place quotation marks around it.

This entry seems useful in general:

composition titles said:
Apply the guidelines listed here to book titles, computer game titles, movie titles, opera titles, play titles, poem titles, song titles, television program titles, and the titles of lectures, speeches and works of art.

-Capitalize the principal words, including prepositions and conjunctions of four or more letters.

-Capitalize an article- the, a, an -or words of fewer than four letters if it is the first or last word in a title.

-Translate a foreign title into English unless a work is known to the American public by its foreign name.

As for quotes vs. none for titles, here is what I have been taught and what I use:
* The names of TV series are not in quotation marks, but episode titles are.
* Movie titles are in quotation marks.
* Album titles are not in quotation marks, but song titles are.
* Video game titles are not in quotation marks.
* Book titles are in quotation marks, except religious/holy and reference books.

In my book, italics and quotation marks mean the same thing, and italics are less ambiguous.

[Type of article]: Pokemon TCG sections
[Bot function]: Create ''Pikachu (TCG)'' (just an example) pages for each Pokemon
[Bot/Template Name]: TCGBot????
[Pages affected]: All Pokemon species pages
[Reason]: On every single Pokemon species spage, it says : ''Main Article:'' '''Pikachu (TCG)''' (only an example), yet almost done of the pages are created!

Last edited:
[Bot name]: TitleBot

[Type of article]: Anime

[Bot function]: This bot will create redirects from the episode title to the episode number. Example - "Following a Maiden's Voyage" redirected to "DP001".

[Pages affected]: I suppose the episode articles without redirects.

[Reason]: If someone knows the title of the episode but not the episode number, this will make it easier for that person to look up the episode and get more information.

[Source Material]: The pages that have already been created...?

[Template Appearance]: N/A

[Type of article]: Movedex

[Bot function]: Update all the moves (all parts of the article) to Platinum standard.

[Bot/Template Name]: MoveUpdater

[Pages affected]: Move pages

[Reason]: Its too difficult to update all the TMs and HMs manually and so nobody is very much intent on updating them.

[Source Material]: Um...the existing pages maybe????

[Template Appearence]: N/A

[Type of article]:Userspace

[Bot function]: Welcome new users and warn users when they edit the user space more than three times in a day.

[Bot/Template Name]: DCMbot :D or Userbot.

[Pages affected]: I dont understand this category. User and User talk

[Reason]: Users are editing the user talk space way to much welcoming new users, in the case of Tavisource, or just so stop people from HOUNDING over users
about going over the limit

[Source Material]: The Warning already made and the {{subst:welcome}} already made

Last edited:
How do you create a bot? I want to create one to use my acccount to do lots of mainspace contribs?

How do you create a bot? I want to create one to use my acccount to do lots of mainspace contribs?

Sorry, no can do. That's just cheating. You need to put your heart into editing, otherwise don't edit at all.

Also, there's a bot program that Zhen has that uses a user in the bot category to edit based on programming...such as MewBot who creates links to the other Pokemon wikis.

I dont want to talk to you DCM, or go back to IPGL. Stop saying that I want to talk to you. I have you blocked on Aim, so I am not asking for you to unblock me on Aim, i havent even mentioned Aim and your constantly, "then we will talk".

Your childish DCM, and cant have a proper conversation, thats why you block, so I did it back to you, and yes i got the last word in our aim chat.

How would anyone know if I was to use a bot? I thought ph34r created one. Thats what it said in the article about him.

I wanna use mine for Good. I could call it SkyBot after my newly adopted little brother.

No. You do the edits yourself, or you dont do them at all. it would make no sense to have a bot that makes edits for a user

How would anyone know if I was to use a bot? I thought ph34r created one. Thats what it said in the article about him.

I wanna use mine for Good. I could call it SkyBot after my newly adopted little brother.

Still, you'd want bots are for generic stuff like redirecting and linking to the other wikis, not for regular edits. The reason why bots are in the bot category is so their edits don't clog up the server.

And please, no way is there a way to program a bot to edit like us normal users. Bots don't know how to transform news into words. Bots won't know how to explode in excitement when a Pokémon Topaz is released. Draw a line between robots and humans. There's a huge difference.

And with that, I'm ThatGirlWithNoOriginality, I try not to remember it so that the Nostalgia Critic doesn't sue me.

Im just asking if it is possible. Im not asking about ethics.

You already screwed up the wiki. PLEASE don't screw up the forums as well. You CLEARLY said "I want to make one so it can edit mainspace pages for me" or something along that line. THAT. IS A CLEAR CONTRADICTION!

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom