• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Requirement to unlock National Dex in new games revealed

Reaction score
Recently, it became known that transferring GBA Pokémon to Diamond and Pearl entails the possession of the National Dex as a primary condition. Although the concept of the Pal Park has come to be seen as a hassle by many, the condition to making use of the facility has been considered tantamount to defeating the Elite Four, since the upgrade to the National Dex is merely a chain event in FireRed, LeafGreen and Emerald.

The latest CoroCoro magazine reiterated the information and further complicated matters, revealing that the National Dex is obtained after completing the Shin'ou Dex.

Prof. Nanakamado would appear not to be as concerned with the player's feats as Prof. Oak or Prof. Birch, both of whom decide to entitle the player with the National Dex at the sight of championship. Prof. Nanakamado apparently wants to see the Shin'ou Dex completed for purposes pertaining to his research on evolution, and only when his wish is fulfilled does he return a favor to the player (in contrast, Prof. Birch delivers one of the Johto starters for completing of the Hoenn Dex, by which time the National Dex has already been obtained).

I suppose that this tidbit has gone ignored so far due to the English translators deeming the CoroCoro page as containing known information. Pokeani's paraphrasing allowed me to make note of it.

To make a long story short, Diamond and Pearl are from far the ideal solution in terms of bringing the GBA Pokémon to the Wi-Fi environment. In fact, this almost renders Wi-Fi communication as the means (used for trading necessary Shin'ou Pokémon in order to gain the National Dex), rather than the end.

... that's sadistic. God, and I thought they were at their meanest when they came up with how to catch Feebas. X_x'

FINALLY. Me constantly filling the Pokedex pays off. For once, I'm ahead of the game. Watch me get screwed, though.

I'm glad we finnaly have a reason to do the Pokedex...yes people, YOU HAVE to work in life.

Of ocurse, with over 1000+ people on Wi-Fi...it won't be that hard.

This royally sucks for people who don't have a wireless internet connection. Like me for instance. We might have to wait till the third game in the series when they correct this stupidity. So you can't use the Pal Park until you get all of the Shinou Pokemon? That bites almost as hard as when Ruby and Sapphire came out and half of the Pokemon were missing. Why is there always some huge gaping flaw with the new games lately?

This royally sucks for people who don't have a wireless internet connection.
That's why this was released ages ago. Get your facts straight before whining.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hopefully Manaphy and any other "secret" one isn't needed.....

That's why this was released ages ago. Get your facts straight before whining.

I'm stuck on dial-up which is the only internet connection type offered in my area, which I doubt will work very well with online gaming, so I will continue to whine.

With the relatively small amount of data that would be exchanged in a DS online game, I don't see how it would be that bad.

And you said nothing about dial-up in your first post...which is irrelevant anyway. A connection can be both wireless and dialup, yano.

I suggest Zeta goes to his nearest McDonald's then....

I also still have Windows 98. So again, I think all of my equipment is just too out of date. I shouldn't have to keep my computer updated to play a console videogame. That's why I'm a console gamer and not a PC gamer.

Hopefully Manaphy and any other "secret" one isn't needed.....

Ouch. I didn't even think of that,

Does McDonalds even work with DSs? I've tried using WiFi hotspots in Barnes and Noble and various hotels, but none of them allow the DS to connect. Or anything that isn't a PC - you have to navigate an internet browser to allow the WiFi to go through in most of the places I've been.

They do, McDonald's signed an agreement with Nintendo, and it seems to be free.

as one of Anal Cunt's albums pointed out, "it just gets worse".

so am I to assume that we need to complete the Shinou Pokedex before we can transfer Pokemon from the Generation III games?

This news doesn't surprise me; as with limiting the amount of Kanto and Johto Pokemon we could obtain when R/S first came out, this will force us to become familiar with the new monsters and not to overlook them in favor of our old, comfortable favorites (and now even moreso than the GBA transfer hassle). I know I probably might have stuck with the familiar oldies if all 386 monsters had been available right from the start, and so would a LOT of us. But now we know how to handle Hoenn monsters!

People similarly freaked out in response to having to learn new things/Pokemon at the start of the 3rd gen, but how much do you want to bet that, even though we CAN transfer GBA Pokemon over, they'll eventually put out NEW 4th gen games where the 1st-3rd gen monsters are obtainable anyway (a la Colosseum, FR/LG, & XD)? I'd almost rather do that than transfer anyway--at the rate of 6 a day, it would take about two months to get all your oldies into the D/P Pokedex, depending on how many oldies are in the Shin'ou Dex to begin with...and depending on how long it takes you to actually FIND your Mewtwo running around in PalPark. o__O

This also makes me think that the Shin'ou Dex will have at least 200 Pokemon like the Hoenn Dex, though knowing the region map is larger, it'll prolly be more. *sigh*

I don't think ALL the 4th-gen monsters can be bad. Apparently GameFreak wants us to get to know them before we judge. ;-)

I don't think ALL the 4th-gen monsters can be bad. Apparently GameFreak wants us to get to know them before we judge.

They could've done that by keeping it until we beat the Elite 4, like in previous games.

I don't think ALL the 4th-gen monsters can be bad. Apparently GameFreak wants us to get to know them before we judge.

They could've done that by keeping it until we beat the Elite 4, like in previous games.

Well, it's entirely possible the SHinou Dex includes a TON of oldies, especially if the 90& thing is real.

Back
Top Bottom