• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Resurecting the ancestor of all web browsers: MOSAIC in the modern age

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickstr

Reaction score
I found a version of BSD Unix recently and also the source code for the very first version of something that quite a few of us take for granted today, the web browser. Its safe to say that what you are using today is a decedent of the MOSAIC web browser in one way or another. As an experiment I will be trying to run this web browser with modern websites to see how they look and what kind of functionality they have with it. In theory I should get at least minimal functionality given that many early bits of the HTML or Hypertext Markup Language are still being used even today.

Lol I've tried it before.

Most pages don't even load.

Same goes for Netscape 1. Netscapes 2-4 load, but suck ass comapared to its successors Netscape 6-9, IE 5-8, and Firefox.

I've tried stuff like that with old pcs, windows 95, and ie 2! Where pages are all grey and the only site that loads is google.com due to its simplicity. WAP sites may load as well, idk.

And also nickstr, visit browsers.evolt.org if you want some more old browsers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom