• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Retail chains across US removing Pokémon TCG from store shelves

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Staff
A number of different US Retail chains are halting the sale of popular Pokémon Trading Card Game products due to concerns about the safety of their employees and customers. These problems are hardly confined to Pokémon though, with many other trading card product lines also being a cause for concern.

Earlier this month, Wal-Mart removed all trading card games from storefronts citing "inappropriate customer behavior and increased demand," referring to both theft and scalpers buying out the stock. US retailer Target has now followed suit after several incidents of theft and violence at their stores. Of particular note was one case where a man who was attacked by four others in the parking lot over trading cards drew a concealed firearm, causing the store to be temporarily shut down.

Warner Bros Games director Alan Johnson tweeted the evidence from his local Target store, which had the following message for its customers: “To ensure the safety of our guests and team members, effective May 14, MLB, NFL, NBA and Pokémon trading cards will no longer be sold in stores until further notice.”

In a statement made to Bleeding Cool, Target confirmed the cards would continue to be available to customers online.
"The safety of our guests and our team is our top priority. Out of an abundance of caution, we've decided to temporarily suspend the sale of MLB, NFL, NBA and Pokémon trading cards within our stores, effective May 14. Guests can continue to shop these cards online at Target.com.”

Archaic

Archaic

I mean, I could always buy them online (and get the specific cards I want lol), but like... why are people all of a sudden attacking people over Pokémon cards? Also, I'm gonna miss getting packages of Pokémon cards from Target, opening them with the hope I'll find cool cards with neat art. I haven't done that in over a year, and now, it's gonna be even longer until I do it again.

Does this have to do with that one Youtuber who shall not be named, because I saw a tweet saying it did

Does this have to do with that one Youtuber who shall not be named, because I saw a tweet saying it did
It does. Apparently he bought two millions bucks in pokemon cards and opened the packs in a stream. That apparently caused tons of people, most likely his impressionable fanbase, to rush out and buy pokemon cards. Hence why the prices of cards skyrocketed and stock became more and more rare.

Ugh. Watching this happen ever since that aforementioned YouTuber decided to do that stream has already been equal amounts infuriating and heartbreaking, but I didn't ever think it would get to this point.

Especially after having played the TCG for years now before all this. I just don't want the people outside the fanbase who read about these things to think that we all act this way. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Search Bulbapedia

Back
Top Bottom