• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Retconning Pokémon

I'd also like to see some gender ratios retconned, especially the Marill line. Azurill needs to either be 50/50, or make the entire line 75/25. I don't see why pokemon like starters and Eevee have to be nearly 100% male either.

I'd also like to see some gender ratios retconned, especially the Marill line. Azurill needs to either be 50/50, or make the entire line 75/25. I don't see why pokemon like starters and Eevee have to be nearly 100% male either.

Because they're ~~*special*~~. The whole concept of "making them almost 100% male so that they would be harder to breed" is kind of meh imo from an out-of-game perspective, cause you could easily trade for them via the GTS etc.

Because they're ~~*special*~~. The whole concept of "making them almost 100% male so that they would be harder to breed" is kind of meh imo from an out-of-game perspective, cause you could easily trade for them via the GTS etc.

I agree.

That whole handwave is, quite honestly, a load of bull. If you want to start with a female, you soft reset until you get one. There's no more or less specialness going on here in any way. Is a male Vulpix more special than a female one just because it's rarer? What about a female Growlithe? It's a dumb system and it needs to go.

Maybe instead of having gender ratios retconned they should make it when breeding Pokémon there is a small chance that the egg will be the father's species instead of the mother's species?
That would have the bonus of not needing a Ditto to breed male only Pokémon.

I really wish they'd make Blastoise a Water/Steel Type. I mean Game Freak had the perfect chance to do this when Magnemite and Magneton were made into Electric/Steel Types which should of been Steel/Electric based on what I see first when I see Magnemite and Magneton and that's metal but not everything can be perfect. I Also feel like Voltorb and Electrode should have been given the Steel Typing as well.

Maybe instead of having gender ratios retconned they should make it when breeding Pokémon there is a small chance that the egg will be the father's species instead of the mother's species?

this would be a MUCH better retcon than any others lol

In that case, female Pokemon should be able to pass down their moves too. If you're taking the female's niche and giving it to the males, then the least you could do is have it go both ways.

If we have new types introduced, I'm sure that we'll see a fairly substantial number of older Pokémon be retyped, adding the new type to make it a dual type. For Pokémon that are currently Normal types, it's also possible they might simply just replace that type.

I prefer to have all entire egg group systems being changed. There are many problems about this system (not including HSOWA).

-Making certain Pokémon gender specific.

I don't think it's really that much of a deal. For example take Mawile, I bet many would call it a female gender only. Yet without having a male gender, Mawile becomes weaker in battle terms.

Last edited:
Making Bellossom Grass/Poison-type instead of being pure Grass-type so it can gain STAB by using Poison attacks, and to keep its secondary typing after evolving from Gloom.

I just remembered one big but simple retcon i'd really want to happen but probably wont: Pokemon that evolve from multiple pokemon [in dex entries and or the anime] actually evolve from multiple pokemon. Pokemon like:

Magneton
Metagross
Dugtrio
Weezing
Slowbro
Slowking
Maybe Klang/Klinklang [not really sure with this one]
ummm maybe there's more but i forgot.
User:Taromon777/Multiple entity Pokémon - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

so, in effect: you'd need a slowpoke and a shellder in your party to make a slowbro. Or you'd need two beldum to make a metang; and two metang [from four beldum to start] for one metagross. like that.

And you could potentially add a couple more to the group with new prevo-baby pokes [that will probably NEVER happen] with:
Combee [it is three bee larvae]
execute [each egg could be a baby poke, maybe? except each egg is a coconut that fell from a tree, or it hatched with all the other eggs... from an egg... this one is tricky]

Last edited:
I do not feel they should create any new types and retcon certain Pokemon to give them new typings, or even just introduce new types to new Pokemon. I'm happy with the types we have now, and although they added two new types in gen II, it was easier to do so back then since Pokemon was still new and hadn't evolved further yet. I'd find it a little strange if they added new types now, after so long.

I also do not think they should make previous Pokemon gender specific if they aren't already. It would be weird to have a Pokemon transfer from one game to another and suddenly change its gender.

I do however, agree that certain Pokemon should have a different shiny version than what they already have. Pokemon like Pikachu change very little, it just becomes a different shade of yellow really, and a shade that isn't too far off it's original colour. I would like to see every Pokemon having a shiny counterpart that looks very different to the original.

this biggest thing we need competitively is a retcon on drizzle drought and sandstream, idk if anyone plays on wifi but politoed and kingdra are just ripping things to shreds and on everyother team. The effects of the abilities should be removed when the pokemon faints or switched out. it would give the boost to politoed and ninetales that gf wanted but would make sure the ability isnt abused. Also if sandstorm boosts rock types specialdefense then hail should boost ice types defense.

and going back to what everyone is discussing i dont think any of those things need to be retconned except for nidoqueen's inability to breed which is just confusing. and idk if this is out of place but if this new sparkle/fairy type comes to frutition then that will be the biggest retcon the franchise has ever seen. to keep up with other types they will have to change those 20 odd cut fluffyh pokes in the normal type and the handful of others to this new type. It would probably resist dragon and be weak to poison or something just to make the metagame fair but idk how younger fans will react when their brick break doesnt knockout that random audino...

this biggest thing we need competitively is a retcon on drizzle drought and sandstream, idk if anyone plays on wifi but politoed and kingdra are just ripping things to shreds and on everyother team. The effects of the abilities should be removed when the pokemon faints or switched out. it would give the boost to politoed and ninetales that gf wanted but would make sure the ability isnt abused. Also if sandstorm boosts rock types specialdefense then hail should boost ice types defense.

They don't. Only if you can't think of ways to counter them. I'm playing against trainers using those since long, and I honestly can't say those tactics are very good.
But I'm talking about Single, idk about other modes. I think it'd be even easier to counter that lame tactic on Doubles though.

Hail already makes Blizzard unable to miss and it afflicts every type besides Ice. Your suggestion would make it op.

Last edited:

They don't. Only if you can't think of ways to counter them. I'm playing against trainers using those since long, and I honestly can't say those tactics are very good.
But I'm talking about Single, idk about other modes. I think it'd be even easier to counter that lame tactic on Doubles though.

Hail already makes Blizzard unable to miss and it afflicts every type besides Ice. Your suggestion would make it op.

well i'm not too sure how you play but even smogon banned the drizzle swift swim combination for being too powerful if i remember correctly, so idk how thats considered a lame tactic but im just looking at the facts. plus with only 3 pokemon in each battle its pretty hard to counter IMO but maybe im just a bad player. and hail is the least used of all the weathers statistically (once again the smog said so) because it essentially gives no form of boost to the ice type if the pokemon isnt carrying blizzard or stalling out the opponent which ice types dont even do effectively, so it deserves a boost. but getting back on topic weather in general needs to be retconned just because of the massive overcentralization it caused this gen.

well i'm not too sure how you play but even smogon banned the drizzle swift swim combination for being too powerful if i remember correctly, so idk how thats considered a lame tactic but im just looking at the facts. plus with only 3 pokemon in each battle its pretty hard to counter IMO but maybe im just a bad player. and hail is the least used of all the weathers statistically (once again the smog said so) because it essentially gives no form of boost to the ice type if the pokemon isnt carrying blizzard or stalling out the opponent which ice types dont even do effectively, so it deserves a boost. but getting back on topic weather in general needs to be retconned just because of the massive overcentralization it caused this gen.

I have to agree with this. Sun, rain, and sandstorm all have several abilities and moves related to them which allow various pokemon to abuse the weather:

Rain: 50% boost to water attacks
Abilities: Swift Swim, Rain Dish, Dry Skin, Hydration
Moves: Thunder and Hurricane are 100% accurate

Sun: 50% boost to fire attacks
Abilities: Chlorophyll, Leaf Guard, Solar Power, Harvest
Moves: Solarbeam takes 1 turn, Growth doubles both attacking stats, Morningsun, Moonlight, and Synthesis heal more

Sand: 50% boost to rock types Sp.Def
Abilities: Sand Rush, Sand Force, Sand Veil
Moves: None

Hail: Nothing
Abilities: Ice Body, Snow Cloak
Moves: Blizzard becomes 100% accurate.

Hail is already a double edged sword, being as the only type immune to it is Ice, therefore you either have to have a full team of Ice mons, or Overcoat/Magic Guard to avoid damaging yourself at the same time. There is no ability that activates under Hail to increase speed, heal stats, or increase power, nor does it give any benefits to the stats of Ice types. It's auto-inducer is also pretty rubbish, with Abomasnow's only redeeming feature being the fact that it has Snow Warning. Ice types already have a hard enough time (only one resistance, and typically quite frail), so retconning some buffs to hail would be great. I would suggest a 50% boost to defense for Ice types, along with another ability or two that help pokemon abuse the condition (look at what Sand Rush has done for Excadrill). Another thought I had was to make Hail the Stealth Rock equivalent of weather conditions, in that it does damage according to the individual pokemon's weakness to ice. Perhaps 6.25% for neutral damage, 12.5% for SE, and 3.125% for NVE. Any more than 12.5% I think would make Hail OP, but I think it's a reasonable amount for someone like Garchomp/Dragonite etc to lose each turn. It would certainly make Hail more usable.

- ND

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom