• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Retired Human Characters and Character Pokémon from the Pokémon Main Anime?

thomaswiencek

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
What's up with you guys? I'm just wanting to know whether or not you think there some human characters or character Pokémon that have already been retired from the Pokémon main anime? If you think there are, please let me know who were, and why? Or if not, please tell me why? Please, let me know when you've replied, thanks.

I assume you mean main/recurring/game characters, because the one-time COTDs are easy ones. All the others have varying likelihood of coming back, but no one is at 0%.

No main characters are retired, I’d say they are shelved.

Every single one of Ash’s friends still have room for development, so the writers can always dust them off and put them in an episode if they feel this can make some bucks.

In terms of missed opportunities for appearing, Tracey, Oak's Dragonite, Oak's Rotom, Cassidy and Butch are definitely "on vacation" until a writer remembers them.

Also, in my opinion, Ritchie (in Johto), Gary (in DP), Burgundy, Georgia and the recurring Malamar were retired before their plots ended or before contributing something really important.

Last edited:
They've served their purpose to be temporary companions for Ash, and (asides Brock and Misty, whenever the higher ups force the writers to) will most likely never reappear. This fate will also happen to Gou and all future companions.

And even Team Rocket members aisdes the main trio, Giovanni, and Matori are disposable. Cassidy and Butch have not appeared in over a decade, and each arc always has someone we've never seen before act as the villain.

This is why Masters is impossible to adapt faithfully.

They've served their purpose to be temporary companions for Ash, and (asides Brock and Misty, whenever the higher ups force the writers to) will most likely never reappear. This fate will also happen to Gou and all future companions.

Eh....I am not so sure about that.

Outside of being a generation one character, Go has the next best thing going for him by not being tied to any main stream game. Go might be here for a while, but we shall see.

I'm still sad that none of the XY characters got a cameo in SM. This has never happened before. Misty/Kasumi and Brock/Takeshi didn't need more than one cameo.
The tradition for female past characters to appear in the next series was discarded years ago, as Iris never showed up in XY either.

The tradition for female past characters to appear in the next series was discarded years ago, as Iris never showed up in XY either.

Yeah, but Cilan/Dent still showed up in XY. If they didn't want Serena and Bonnie to return for some reason they could still have Clemont reappear. He could have interacted with Mamane/Sophocles since they are very similar. But maybe they thought they were too similar?

And Misty/Kasumi is a past female character, isn't she?

Misty came back due to the 20th anniversary and Let’s Go promotion. That isn’t comparable to Bonnie or Serena showing up in SM.

Yeah, but Cilan/Dent still showed up in XY. If they didn't want Serena and Bonnie to return for some reason they could still have Clemont reappear. He could have interacted with Mamane/Sophocles since they are very similar. But maybe they thought they were too similar?

And Misty/Kasumi is a past female character, isn't she?

I still don't understand this notion that Clemont and Sophocles are that similar, let alone too similar. Besides being interested in Electric types and making inventions, do they have anything in common personality wise or with their overall storylines? Their similarities are pretty much just surface level and even then, Clemont was at least much more passionate about inventions than Sophocles ever was, even if it was primarily used as a running gag.

Misty came back due to the 20th anniversary and Let’s Go promotion. That isn’t comparable to Bonnie or Serena showing up in SM.

I don't think that there was much Let's Go promotion in their appearances. I don't think that the Let's Go games were announced when they first appeared in SM and they didn't appear in their Let's Go outfits or show Pokemon that they'd use in those games when they appeared again. The 20th anniversary of the anime was definitely a big reason, if not primarily one, for Misty and Brock to appear again, but I don't think that they were that interested in Let's Go promotion, especially when SM was pretty barren in that department in general.

I swear you've made a very similar thread at least 5 times before. :confused: To answer your question, how would any of us know if a character has been retired or not? Logic says that minor Cotd's won't ever show up again since nobody cares about the vast majority of them, but I'm guessing you're talking about major characters? If so then the only one that might be retired is May because of her Japanese voice actress's illness, but even that's just a maybe.

Now when I think about it, the only series that doesn't have a past female companion return is XY. I wonder if it was because of the implied romance with Serena? While Negaishipping (Iris/Ash) is one of the less popular pairings I still remember it being discussed a lot when Best Wishes was airing by people who like shipping characters. Maybe they didn't want to start any "ship wars" among the fans?

I hope the reason they didn't give Serena a cameo isn't because of the implied romance. While I personally thought Amourshipping (Serena/Ash) was cute, I don't like when they reduce the female protagonists to be just that.

I feel the same towards the edits 4kids made in the dub concerning Misty's goodbye episode. I think the Japanese original was much better since it focused on the memories Kasumi made with her friends (even Kenji/Tracy gets to be included!) rather than reducing her to the protagonist's love interest.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom