• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Return of Cross-Gen Evolutions?

I think it's unlikely. But most people would like to have new cross-gen evolutions for sure. It would be amazing.

With DP, Masuda said he wanted the game to be like the "culmination of the series" until then (or something along those lines). With SwSh, we have seen Ohmori publicly saying that they are developing these games to be the "best experience" so far (again - or something along those lines), so it would be amazing if we had cross-gen evos again (beyond eeveelutions).

I don't have any specific Pokémon in mind now tbh, but I think I'd like to see Komala and Chimecho getting evolutions. And maybe Rapidash.

Edit: Personally, I don't think Eviolite is the problem, but the approach they want to have with each generation or game.

Last edited:
Eviolite didn't get nerfed. That was a false rumor.

The simple solution to the Eviolite "problem" is focusing on the other four stats, abilities and typing. Aside from poor Blissey (who is a very special case because her Defense is so low) and Dusknoir, I don't think that any cross-generational evolution has been usurped due to Eviolite.

Last edited:
Komala would need a wake up form normal/fighting. Sleeping on start and not waking up naturally I understand but when by move should activate something powerfull. Yes some pokes like slowking and frosslas, scizor and others should get a little love. Culmination like gen 4 did get remember ELECTRIVIRE, RHYPERIOR AND MAGMORTAR? Would mean that new megas, new z moves, new regional forms and armors in one game. 88 pokemon and lets say 25 forms now and 15 in the sword and shield continuation? Thats my feeling.

Last edited:
I really wanted Minior to have an evolved form, and during the pre reveal season I was pretty sure it was going to get one because of the 'Mini' and 'Minor' in its name, but it’s already formidable enough in competitive that I don’t think they'll do an evolution.

Komala and Minior should've been two stage lines imo.

because of the Eviolite, unless it gets a big nerf, we're not likely to see crossgen evolutions again

The issue with Eviolite isn’t so much a balance thing as much as Game Freak seeming to have a bizarre concept of consistency. That explains why whenever we got any baby forms past gen 2 they had to be bred with a specific kind of incense and Leafeon wasn’t retconned to evolve with a Leaf Stone.

Following this logic then, if Jynx gets a new regular evolution (rather than a mega form or whatever they want to call it this go round), they would be afraid someone would call foul for trying to attach it to her in 5th gen and it not working.

I would love to see more cross-gen evolutions. Gen 5 and 7 were the only generations that had none.

I would love it if Zebstrika, Scrafty, Galvantula and Ferrothorn get a third stage.

What do y'all think?

I don't think any of those really need 3rd stages though do they? Evolite Ferrothorn is pretty funny to think about, and evolite Scrafty would be cool. However, out of the Gen 5 mons, I'd think it's stuff like Maractus, Basculin, Beheeyem, Beartic, or Druddigon that need it the most.

Alomomola can piss off for being a cross gen evo without actually being a cross gen evo. That's just rude. :annoyedVoltorb: In any case, I'm not sure if they'll return, but I wouldn't be against it if it did. I wonder if Mega-evos were originally suppose to have replaced them?

Tangela could get a King’s Rock evolution which adopts aspects from the beta evolution. Tangrowth is just a bigger tangela and the beta evolution is superior in every way...

All I'm going to say is that I really loved cross-gen evolutions and it's a shame that they weren't brought back in future generations. I'm hoping that at some point in the future they'll be a thing again, because I miss Pokemon going through natural evolution rather than giving them alternate forms.

I'd love to see some cross-gen evolutions happens for Sword and Shield please!

And oh, for the love of God, make Luvdisc evolve into an Alomomola!

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom