• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Reunion of the Past, Present, and Future!? VS Kairyu!! (Fake)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So how about this: the "future" part of the title refers to Ash leaving his Dragonite with Iris to train further, similarly to how Ash left Charizard in the Charicific Valley to train further. As such, the "Reunion of the Future" would be Ash getting Dragonite back in some future episode when it finishes training. This opens up Ash's team for further captures, and this would even mean Iris can make another return.
I'd hate for Ash to fob training his Pokémon off on someone else. He's a league winner for heaven's sake, he should be well past that point.
Of course that doesn't mean it won't happen, but it would make Dragonite feel a bit empty when they haven't really done that much.

How would Iris vs Satoshi go if it were a 3 vs 3?
Knowing Journeys I’m not expecting anything beyond a 1 vs 1. Anything else can be a pleasant surprise for me.

Well, now that this episode is pretty much confirmed, I guess it's time to throw out some wild predictions on the plot.

So how about this: the "future" part of the title refers to Ash leaving his Dragonite with Iris to train further, similarly to how Ash left Charizard in the Charicific Valley to train further. As such, the "Reunion of the Future" would be Ash getting Dragonite back in some future episode when it finishes training. This opens up Ash's team for further captures, and this would even mean Iris can make another return.
Ash getting rid of literally the only Pokémon who has had some semblance of decent screentime in the series? No thanks.

I would prefer if Axew didn't evolve at all, give it an Everstone if necessary. That lil guy always made me crack a smile while watching BW, and seeing it grow without needing to evolve was actually pretty nice in the series.
I mean, Pokemon that grow without needing to evolve are a dime a dozen in the anime, and the majority of them do a much better job at that plotline than Axew, who didn't really grow so much as he was randomly given powerful moves whenever he conveniently needed them. Outside of training to master Dragon Rage, Axew made very little actual progression onscreen, and his development was the definition of telling over showing: we constantly got told that he'd made amazing improvements, but there was barely any believable evidence of that, as his overall battle record is spotty at best and he wasn't seen battling or training much outside of sparring with Scraggy (something that abruptly came to a halt when Axew finally mastered Dragon Rage. It's an honest shame we never got a rematch, because Scraggy did eventually go on to participate in Gym and League battles and even a Don George tournament where he performed relatively well, so it honestly just feels that Axew ended off the series weaker than his own baby brother), and the whole "cutsey-patootsie baby" shtick took so much priority over Axew's growth that in practice he's basically just Togepi 2.0, making the times he learned powerful moves out of nowhere feel completely undeserved.

So oddly enough, I do agree with you that on some level Axew remaining unevolved might be the better option... just for basically the opposite reason XD

I mean, Pokemon that grow without needing to evolve are a dime a dozen in the anime, and the majority of them do a much better job at that plotline than Axew, who didn't really grow so much as he was randomly given powerful moves whenever he conveniently needed them.
The worst offender or which was Outrage, which was literally used just one time for Iris to win a battle she was losing. A prime example of a DEM. BW really liked doing those.

The worst offender or which was Outrage, which was literally used just one time for Iris to win a battle she was losing. A prime example of a DEM. BW really liked doing those.
(Off-topic alert)
The way it's been months and I still didn't figure out what DEM means lol. I look up on Google and this is what it says:

DEM.jpg

Ash getting rid of literally the only Pokémon who has had some semblance of decent screentime in the series? No thanks.
Don’t get me wrong I agree that Dragonite shouldn’t be given away. But at the risk of sounding pedantic, I’m going to point out that this definitely isn’t true. Even if you’re just talking about Ash’s Pokémon.

Ash dumping his Dragonite onto Iris would be such a terrible decision IMO. It made sense with Charizard because keeping him around would make the badge quest look like a joke. Now Ash is quickly approaching the ultra class and this is where Dragonite should get more screen time. If they want to dump it to have Ash showcase some new captures, then it was pointless giving him Dragonite in the first place.

Ash dumping his Dragonite onto Iris would be such a terrible decision IMO. It made sense with Charizard because keeping him around would make the badge quest look like a joke. Now Ash is quickly approaching the ultra class and this is where Dragonite should get more screen time. If they want to dump it to have Ash showcase some new captures, then it was pointless giving him Dragonite in the first place.
Given the setting of Sakuragi Park, dumping it to get new captures wouldn’t even make sense considering he can easily rotate Pokémon on a dime.

I will admit that I do like the prospective idea of seeing Ash’s Dragonite face off against Iris’, but I am left to wonder just which one of them will prevail? I mean they both seem pretty strong all things considered and as someone who never really liked Iris as a character, mostly because of her annoying and condescending type of personality, the idea of her Dragonite being the victor just doesn’t feel right to me, even if it would somehow make sense in some way.

And, um, while we are on the subject of returning characters, I am genuinely not sure about how to feel about this. I mean Misty’s original reappearances were... okay, I guess, and May’s returning arc was...pretty nice, I suppose; but Dawn’s return was kind of spoiled by Iris’ flaws as a character in my opinion and the returns of both Misty and Brock were both good in theory to me, but ultimately wound up falling short in certain areas, kept me from fully enjoying them (mostly because to them bringing up some old stuff from the original series that I didn’t much care for the initial badge teasing and general heckling that occurred in that Cerulean Gym episode, since it seemed like they should have been passed that by the Johto episodes). And while the Alola gang’s return was, again, good in theory, I found myself not really getting into it for somewhat different reasons (one of which was possibly because it felt like it came at the wrong time for me), so I’m genuinely not so sure about how I’ll feel about seeing Iris’ return, especially since I am certain that her “little kid” talk will be returning with her, even though it will seem even more inappropriate for Ash now than it was in Unova and Ash should have been way passed her Level as a trainer by that point as well, in my opinion.

Cilan getting a cameo! Nice to see BW flashbacks in the JN art style.

I’m guessing Goh will mistake Iris for a Pokémon and hit her with a Poké Ball like Ash did back in BW.
I’m kinda hoping not because if so, the writers are laying the parallels with Ash on a little thick. First him getting fished out of the water by Lana, then mistaking Iris for a Pokémon. What next, is he gonna fry Misty’s bike?

I mean, Pokemon that grow without needing to evolve are a dime a dozen in the anime, and the majority of them do a much better job at that plotline than Axew, who didn't really grow so much as he was randomly given powerful moves whenever he conveniently needed them. Outside of training to master Dragon Rage, Axew made very little actual progression onscreen, and his development was the definition of telling over showing: we constantly got told that he'd made amazing improvements, but there was barely any believable evidence of that, as his overall battle record is spotty at best and he wasn't seen battling or training much outside of sparring with Scraggy (something that abruptly came to a halt when Axew finally mastered Dragon Rage. It's an honest shame we never got a rematch, because Scraggy did eventually go on to participate in Gym and League battles and even a Don George tournament where he performed relatively well, so it honestly just feels that Axew ended off the series weaker than his own baby brother), and the whole "cutsey-patootsie baby" shtick took so much priority over Axew's growth that in practice he's basically just Togepi 2.0, making the times he learned powerful moves out of nowhere feel completely undeserved.

So oddly enough, I do agree with you that on some level Axew remaining unevolved might be the better option... just for basically the opposite reason XD
Have to disagree here, while I can easily admit Outrage came out of left field and was never really relevant after the episode where Axew learned it, there was definitely progression in its development. It literally couldn't even take a hit from anything but Scraggy and its Scratch hit as hard as a pillow before it started training. Sure, it didn't become Iris' ace, but it still got progressively stronger as the show went out, and even though it wasn't used much in tournaments it did participate in other important battles like in Episode N against the mind-controlled Pokémon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom