• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Reunion of the Past, Present, and Future!? VS Kairyu!! (Fake)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Iris getting a Haxorus would kind of feel a bit much. It would show that she has made progress off screen and that they remembered Axew's original dream to evolve, but I think it would be harder for at least me to believe based on where she left off. Axew evolving into a Fraxture would still give off a sense of progression without being too unbelievable and even that I don't think is that likely when Axew is her signature Pokemon.
She’s literally been off screen for 2 whole sagas so it isn’t really that farfetc'd for her to get a Haxorus.
We don’t know about all of Misty's additions, but she was there to show off Megas so she’s using her Mega evolution.
I can see Iris getting either Haxorus or Garchomp but both would be overkill.

She’s literally been off screen for 2 whole sagas so it isn’t really that farfetc'd for her to get a Haxorus.
We don’t know about all of Misty's additions, but she was there to show off Megas so she’s using her Mega evolution.
I can see Iris getting either Haxorus or Garchomp but both would be overkill.

Iris hasn't been on-screen for two series, but considering that time within the anime itself makes no sense, that feels a bit irrelevant, or at least kind of moot. That doesn't mean that any kind of drastic changes on her team would be necessarily believable. It's just hard for me to see Iris getting an Haxorus as believable based on how Axew was handled in BW. Even with the progress she could have made in off-screen land in mind, going from an Axew that had inconsistent strength at best despite getting overpowered moves out of nowhere to a Haxorus would be kind of a stretch, at least for me. Fraxture would make way more sense to be honest. It would still show that Iris has made progress with her goal after leaving the cast, while also showing that she still has more to work on after she goes back on her journey.

I do agree that Iris getting both Haxorus and Garchomp would be overkill though. They still have more wiggle room when it comes to Iris' Gible given that it was barely shown, but I think making it into a Garchomp would still be a bit much.

Well. I still don't like Iris so much.
But a battle looks interesting.

Maybe Iris and Gou will join forces to bully Satoshi by spamming 'kodomo ne'.

If they're going to drop something, then Uonoragon goes with Iris, Okorizaru treatment.
Unlike it, Kairyuu isn't a flat character.

Well. I still don't like Iris so much.
But a battle looks interesting.

Maybe Iris and Gou will join forces to bully Satoshi by spamming 'kodomo ne'.

If they're going to drop something, then Uonoragon goes with Iris, Okorizaru treatment.
Unlike it, Kairyuu isn't a flat character.
Apart from its capture episode, we haven't actually see it much. Probably best to save judgement about the fish. It looks like it'll be the main source of comedy on Ash's team. They'' probably also have it bite Ash's head like with gible or turtwig.

Although having Goh steal the focus would be unfortunate, it would be weird to have him not interact and connect with Iris, so I’m predicting that Iris will battle Ash and Goh, both in 1v1s to help the pacing.
First battle will be Goh vs Axew/Fraxture/Haxorus, or Gible, or Emolga, and Ash battles Dragonite.
I don’t see Dracovish having an appearance TBH

Unless the main focus is having Gou battle, just like the last episode featuring a reunion, instead of Satoshi.....

Kairyuu vs Flygon.

While Satoshi just sits and cheers. After being teased, mercilessly, by them.

I mean, from the ending of the Hoenn saga to a third of the DP saga, May evolved her Bulbasaur twice (who didn't even participate in the Battle Frontier stretch), her Squirtle, and her Eevee.

I don't think it's a problem or incredulous for Iris to have double-downed on her training and help Axew accomplish its goal, especially over the course of two sagas.

I don't think it's a problem or incredulous for Iris to have double-downed on her training and help Axew accomplish its goal, especially over the course of two sagas.
I think some just wish that it actually happened in Best Wishes, considering it was revealed very early on that Axew wanted to evolve through a dream shown off by a Munna. May has shown that offscreen evolutions between sagas for past companions aren't out of the ordinary though.

I would add on Dawn to this for dub only viewers, considering her Cyndaquil evolved in an episode that was strangely never dubbed, which is really weird since it had a major event.

I think some just wish that it actually happened in Best Wishes, considering it was revealed very early on that Axew wanted to evolve through a dream shown off by a Munna. May has shown that offscreen evolutions between sagas for past companions aren't out of the ordinary though.

I would add on Dawn to this for dub only viewers, considering her Cyndaquil evolved in an episode that was strangely never dubbed, which is really weird since it had a major event.
Speaking about past companion's Pokemon evolving off-screen, now that I actually stopped to think about it, Dawn has a big advantage in the sense of half of her current team is fully evolved, can't evolve or already evolved at least once. AND there's also the fact that Piplup wasn't keen at all to evolve, and Piplup itself is the most popular Sinnoh starter (there's some room for argument there I admit), and I don't really see Buneary evolving too.

So even thought that this is about Iris, I honestly don't think Dawn is gonna suffer this problem if/when she appears again.

I mean, from the ending of the Hoenn saga to a third of the DP saga, May evolved her Bulbasaur twice (who didn't even participate in the Battle Frontier stretch), her Squirtle, and her Eevee.

Honestly, May's Bulbasaur suddenly becoming a Venusaur off-screen was kind of unbelievable too. At least she used her Squirtle frequently during the Battle Frontier arc and she only evolved her Eevee after arriving in Snowpoint City, so those felt much more believable/earned. That's kind of why I wouldn't want to see Axew become a Haxorus via off-screen training. May has a much more battle active goal than Iris does and even that didn't make her Bulbasaur evolving into Venusaur any less jarring or a stretch. It would be even worse with how Axew was handled in BW. Doubling down and actually training Axew off-screen to evolve it into a Haxorus when it spent the bulk of BW in Iris' hair would be a big stretch.

Axew was kind of a weird case for a secondary mascot. Iris' initial goal was to evolve it and Axew wanted to evolve too, but they wanted to keep it as a cute marketable mascot, so it couldn't evolve. If Axew grew more steadily over the course of BW instead of getting overpowered moves out of nowhere, then I think that they could have evolved it into a Fraxture by the end of the series. I think that TPCI doesn't really dub specials unless they feature new Pokemon, which is why a lot of the specials featuring returning characters haven't been dubbed. It's a shame when a lot of dub fans wouldn't get to see these specials.

Honestly, May's Bulbasaur suddenly becoming a Venusaur off-screen was kind of unbelievable too. At least she used her Squirtle frequently during the Battle Frontier arc and she only evolved her Eevee after arriving in Snowpoint City, so those felt much more believable/earned. That's kind of why I wouldn't want to see Axew become a Haxorus via off-screen training. May has a much more battle active goal than Iris does and even that didn't make her Bulbasaur evolving into Venusaur any less jarring or a stretch. It would be even worse with how Axew was handled in BW. Doubling down and actually training Axew off-screen to evolve it into a Haxorus when it spent the bulk of BW in Iris' hair would be a big stretch.

Given how Axew was treated in BW, I appreciate an evolution or two here. Iris still having a barely competent Axew after all this time (but gems like Dragonite, Excadrill, and mayhap a Gabite) would be upsetting, for me personally. They had a whole saga to make a difference and substantial strides forward, yet failed - and as Iris is a past companion, she won't get another chance or experience to do so. Thus, an off-screen evolution(s) or an evolution in the episode is the next best thing for Axew development-wise.

I understand your feelings regarding Iris and Axew, but I think that main characters can achieve things or develop off-screen too in spite of their past. I mirror it to real life situations where a friend I haven't seen in years has changed quite a bit personality-wise. Would it have been nice for that change and maturity to happen during our time together (i.e. onscreen time with Ash)? Yes, but it didn't-however, I appreciate the growth now and can enjoy it going forward (i.e. Iris now commanding an awesome Haxorus, if not at least a Fraxure).

I agree that May’s Bulbasaur becoming a Venusaur by her Diamond & Pearl appearance was a bit much, but I disagree about finding Iris’s Axew becoming a Haxorus by Journeys to be weird. May reappeared for the first time within the second year of Diamond & Pearl’s run, Iris will reappear for the first time after two entire series passed and during the second year of the Journeys series. A lot more things can happen off-screen when it takes a character 351 episodes to reappear (Iris) than 76 episodes to reappear (May).

I don't think there is a problem with Axew having finally fully evolved but with how it could be potentially shadowed by Iris' dragonite.

Given how Axew was treated in BW, I appreciate an evolution or two here. Iris still having a barely competent Axew after all this time (but gems like Dragonite, Excadrill, and mayhap a Gabite) would be upsetting, for me personally. They had a whole saga to make a difference and substantial strides forward, yet failed - and as Iris is a past companion, she won't get another chance or experience to do so. Thus, an off-screen evolution(s) or an evolution in the episode is the next best thing for Axew development-wise.

I understand your feelings regarding Iris and Axew, but I think that main characters can achieve things or develop off-screen too in spite of their past. I mirror it to real life situations where a friend I haven't seen in years has changed quite a bit personality-wise. Would it have been nice for that change and maturity to happen during our time together (i.e. onscreen time with Ash)? Yes, but it didn't-however, I appreciate the growth now and can enjoy it going forward (i.e. Iris now commanding an awesome Haxorus, if not at least a Fraxure).

I don't think the comparison to real life situations fits here, but that is a valid point on how Iris still having a barely competent Axew might not be the best message either. That's why I'd be fine with it becoming a Fraxture. It would still showcase Iris having made progress since her special while not going overboard and giving her room to grow after she leaves again. The idea of Iris with Haxorus doesn't make me think that she has made so much progress off-screen. It makes me think that the writers are desperately trying to make her into a more powerful/opposing trainer for Ash to battle against. Maybe it wouldn't bother me as much if she didn't already have a Dragonite, especially when I didn't care for how that was captured either, or if Axew's progress in BW was even a bit better to make this possibility feel more believable.

I agree that May’s Bulbasaur becoming a Venusaur by her Diamond & Pearl appearance was a bit much, but I disagree about finding Iris’s Axew becoming a Haxorus by Journeys to be weird. May reappeared for the first time within the second year of Diamond & Pearl’s run, Iris will reappear for the first time after two entire series passed and during the second year of the Journeys series. A lot more things can happen off-screen when it takes a character 351 episodes to reappear (Iris) than 76 episodes to reappear (May).

I still don't think that the amount of time since Iris last appears really means anything. To the audience, Iris hasn't been seen in over seven years, but the same amount of time hasn't passed within the anime itself. Time makes no sense within the anime, so bringing up how many episodes or years it's been since characters have appeared seems a bit moot to me. I'm just saying that I don't think that the amount of episodes since Iris' last appearance necessarily justifies any and all kinds of changes for her team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom