• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Revealed Gen VII Pokémon discussion!

Favourite Alola Pokemon so far?

• Total voters
Drampa and Turtonator look like they are already fully evolved or in middle stages so I think Jangmo-o is the pseudo as it looks like it is a base stage pokemon and it looks like it is caught late in the game. Not to mention that other pseudos apart from two are Dragon.

Reason for it to evolve into Dragon/Fighting - it is a new type combo and be very dangerous with the attack stat since both Fighting and Dragon are known to be good with attack stat.

Reason for it to evolve into Dragon/Steel - Could use another one of that type combo and it kind feels like it could be part Steel. Plus it is a great combo for a Dragon.

Yes, seems like it. Too bad though, considering they aren't experimenting at all in the pseudo legend department. I wanted to see a pseudo with fire- or electric- typing.

Added Bonus: Make a unique type combo Fire/Electric pseudo with levitate ability...

Oranguru better have Grass Whistle, Leaf Blade, Magical Leaf , Whirlwind and some cool new psychic type moves great and high hp and both defences.
Interesting maybe they want it to be a reversed Girafarig?

Both Lycanroc forms looks really underevolved if you compare them to second stage and 3 stage starters.

Is on the anime poster a pokemon in the left corner at that tower?

Last edited:
All that Alola needs is a Dolphin Pokémon but we got a Koala so that's good enough too.

So if we assume the toucan on the t-shirt in the trailer is a Pokemon, what type could it be? It's not necessarily "revealed" but how often do they have non-Pokemon animals in the main series games.

It doesn't look very different from a regular toucan (but then again it's a small outline of it so eh) so maybe it'll be Normal/Flying. I'd like to think a toucan is going to be more interesting than that though...

So if we assume the toucan on the t-shirt in the trailer is a Pokemon, what type could it be? It's not necessarily "revealed" but how often do they have non-Pokemon animals in the main series games.

It doesn't look very different from a regular toucan (but then again it's a small outline of it so eh) so maybe it'll be Normal/Flying. I'd like to think a toucan is going to be more interesting than that though...
Honestly, I can see a toucan Pokemon being Flying/Grass. Mostly because I associate toucans with the jungle and fruit (specifically bananas).

I could also see a toucan being Fairy/Flying, though that is only on the grounds that they are very colorful, and have a very "soft" look as far as birds go, which I could see being easily cutesy-fied.

Hey nicholas!
Bruh, I haven't had the chance to view very single one of them but I've got to say, Solgaleo looks absolutely terrifying. It's z move might probably bring about the apocalypse!

Also I think the unique "alola traits" i.e. dark meowth and ice/steel sandshrew, is a masterstroke from the developers.

Last edited:

I believe the riddler said that the Toucans design had a focus on it's beak/mouth. (can't remember which he said but you get the idea)

Taking that into consideration I could see it maybe being Steel/Flying,,,,if Pikipek doesn't turn out to be Steel/Flying.

Oranguru better have Grass Whistle, Leaf Blade, Magical Leaf , Whirlwind and some cool new psychic type moves great and high hp and both defences.
Interesting maybe they want it to be a reversed Girafarig?

Both Lycanroc forms looks really underevolved if you compare them to second stage and 3 stage starters.

Is on the anime poster a pokemon in the left corner at that tower?

I dunno, they look comparable in maturity to Mightyena and Zoroark, ish.

But I would love if they evolved again, though I highly doubt it.

Last edited:
Alright, finally got some free time to give my thoughts~

Passimian looks really cool and his ability is just beggin Shedinja to be his partner in Wi-Fi~ His design is actually really great and Fighting is an interesting choice for him, sad we didn't actually get to see him use any Fighting moves. But I'm really excited for him~

Oranguru doesn't look as cool, but I like his design, too~ His move also seems very Doubles based and could be pretty good with the right strategy~ Seems obvious these two were made for Competitive.

Lycanroc's two forms are confirmed Sun and Moon exclusive and I'm crying at the reasoning. LOLOLOL so are Moon and Sun a new level of parallel Universes compared to previous paired versions? Hate to see how this is resolved if we get Pokemon Star~

Passimian looks really cool and his ability is just beggin Shedinja to be his partner in Wi-Fi~ His design is actually really great and Fighting is an interesting choice for him, sad we didn't actually get to see him use any Fighting moves. But I'm really excited for him~

I hadn't even thought about that! Wonder Guard ain't gonna pass though, most likely : (

His move also seems very Doubles based and could be pretty good with the right strategy~ Seems obvious these two were made for Competitive.

You know, just because an ability is dynamic doesn't mean it's "made" for competitive.

Will both these developments be fun in competitive? Most likely! But I very much think Gamefreak designs first and foremost for the actual games than any metagame. ;)

Sorry, that's my grumpy rant about competitive-centricism lol

I hadn't even thought about that! Wonder Guard ain't gonna pass though, most likely : (

You know, just because an ability is dynamic doesn't mean it's "made" for competitive.

Will both these developments be fun in competitive? Most likely! But I very much think Gamefreak designs first and foremost for the actual games than any metagame. ;)

Sorry, that's my grumpy rant about competitive-centricism lol

I don't see why they wouldn't allow Wonder Guard seeing as Fighting's not really a broken type or anything and does have 2 common weaknesses of its 3. But I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't let it, though. Also curious about other potentials like Parental Bond.

And I don't really see a problem with designing Pokemon to be useful in Competitive. We had Mega Audino with Healer just least gen to name one and even now Alola Raichu is certainly gonna be finding more success in Doubles than in game where your average every day Electric Terrain probably won't be very common. It doesn't make it any less good in regular gameplay~

I don't see why they wouldn't allow Wonder Guard seeing as Fighting's not really a broken type or anything and does have 2 common weaknesses of its 3. But I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't let it, though. Also curious about other potentials like Parental Bond.

And I don't really see a problem with designing Pokemon to be useful in Competitive. We had Mega Audino with Healer just least gen to name one and even now Alola Raichu is certainly gonna be finding more success in Doubles than in game where your average every day Electric Terrain probably won't be very common. It doesn't make it any less good in regular gameplay~

Healer was a nerf to MAudino - Regular Audino's Regenerator Ability is FAR, FAR superior in singles (as Regenerator is a top 3 ability for defensive mons in singles IMO and Healer is literally useless in singles) and even in VGC (since I know I'll get jumped on because smogon singles is an unofficial metagame that Nintendo doesn't have any obligation to balance for :p), Healer is inconsistent at best because of its 30% activation rate while Regenerator is still good (if not quite as good because you switch less in doubles compared to singles). There's a reason why Aromatisse runs Aroma Veil over Healer in doubles 100% of the time - it has a consistently useful effect whereas Healer has a sometimes useful effect that is inconsistent. If MAudino had access to Regenerator OR Healer, it would be the same way - the more consistently useful option every time.

I personally think Oranguru was designed with competitive doubles in mind based on what we know of it - instruct and its ability pool are both highly desirable in a doubles metagame, so unless it has booty stats it should be useable at the very least. Passimian, I need to see the stats and movepool first. It might just be a silly gimmick but it might be pretty good, entirely depending on the aforementioned.

And i've said it before and i'll say it again but i'm 80% sure that the "A" in "Raichu-A" is going to stand for Raichu (Ass form) instead of Raichu (Alolan form) because ain't nobody wants to have 2 grounded electric types (cough Tapu Koko cough Raichu-A) out at the same time when you already know the opponent has like 16 billion different Earthquake users floating around. If you face one team with a scarf landorus t, you're playing a 2 against 4 game if you bring Raichu and Tapu Koko, and if you don't bring Tapu Koko, then why the hell are you bringing Raichu-A?! Just bring normal Raichu like Wolfe Glicke did this year and you get that nice Lightningrod, that nice Fake Out, that nice Volt Switch, that nice Nuzzle, that nice Endeavor, whatever you need in a VGC electric support mon, normal Raichu has it.

EDIT: When Passimian Receives Parental Bond, he just leans over to the baby Kanga and is all like
67750377.jpg

xD

Hm.

That's all I can say to the above conversation.

On that note, though, I do want to know - what moves benefit most from Oranguru? Let's just hope it can't cause Z-Moves to activate twice in a turn...
Edit: One more thing. I'd assume that Passimian's Receiver adheres to the existing rules of ability swapping specifically, so I don't think Wonder Guard will be an issue here. At least, I hope not.

Hm.

That's all I can say to the above conversation.

On that note, though, I do want to know - what moves benefit most from Oranguru? Let's just hope it can't cause Z-Moves to activate twice in a turn...
Edit: One more thing. I'd assume that Passimian's Receiver adheres to the existing rules of ability swapping specifically, so I don't think Wonder Guard will be an issue here. At least, I hope not.

Yeah, like there's no way Passimian would receive Schooling from Wishiwashi even though I would have loved to see them try Lemur Lagann.

Reason for it to evolve into Dragon/Fighting - it is a new type combo and be very dangerous with the attack stat since both Fighting and Dragon are known to be good with attack stat.

Reason for it to evolve into Dragon/Steel - Could use another one of that type combo and it kind feels like it could be part Steel. Plus it is a great combo for a Dragon.
Part steel feels more probable becuse of fairies, ice and other dragons, plus we need rare unused steel combos.

Plot twist: There is no limit to Passimian's ability.

Only if in School form it looks like a green gorilla. (this could really work and be very interesting)
What it works not only in double battles? what if it can take a ability when it beats a foe in battle or take a ability of it's fallen comrade that battled before it ???
Even Wonder Guard would'nt be to op becuse of it's weakneses.

Oranguru with Physho Cut, Zen Headbut , Leaf Blade???
do we get new physical psyhic moves ths generation?

Lycanrock resembles a little Lucario and Zoroark if it stays a 2 stage line. Its cool that they created a new wolf but if it could get one more evo it could seperate them more from them. Or they will get Z-moves that also change their type and ability(with or without status change)?(dont need mega evolution then)
Day form is probably a perfect counter to Talonflame, becuse it will have a rock type priority move and with Sandstorm it probably will be really fast. Somebody thinks it may get Sand Stream somehow in future (third ability or mega)?

Night Form if with high hp and both defences could make a powerfull Counter(and maybe Mirror Coat???) but hope that it may get Sturdy to use it's full potential. Or Prankster would have been more good on it? Keen Eye seriously?

Last edited:
I could also see a toucan being Fairy/Flying, though that is only on the grounds that they are very colorful, and have a very "soft" look as far as birds go, which I could see being easily cutesy-fied.

Idk, with Morelull, Comfey, Mimikyu, Cutiefly, Alolan Ninetales, Magearna, Tapu Koko, (potentially the three other Tapu), I kinda feel SM have enough Fairy types so far. I don't hate the idea, especially if it would be another Fairy/Flying, but I think I'd rather see it be another type tbh.

I believe the riddler said that the Toucans design had a focus on it's beak/mouth. (can't remember which he said but you get the idea)

Taking that into consideration I could see it maybe being Steel/Flying,,,,if Pikipek doesn't turn out to be Steel/Flying.

Steel could work I suppose. Though it would bring into question Pikipek's evolution as most speculate Steel for that. I've also seen people suggest it might be Pikipek's evolution, but I'm not sure a toucan really fits the speedy pecking and Skill Link theme Pikipek has since toucan's don't use their beaks to drill holes... But they can use them to get into holes in trees and Pikipek spits seeds and focusing on a toucan's mouth could spit seeds too I guess. So I guess we'll see. I was hoping Pikipek's line would learn Drill Run, but if it turns into a toucan I'm not sure how likely that is. Normal/Flying/Grass/Ground just sounded like awesome coverage.

I'm excited for a toucan but just hoping it's an interesting type, Normal feels dull and we have loads of Normals in SM so far (with 11).

Also somewhat related to talking about shared types and Normal types, Oranguru being Normal/Psychic probably kills my speculation of Komala evolving into a Normal/Psychic type. That is, if Komala evolves at all... :p

Idk, with Morelull, Comfey, Mimikyu, Cutiefly, Alolan Ninetales, Magearna, Tapu Koko, (potentially the three other Tapu), I kinda feel SM have enough Fairy types so far. I don't hate the idea, especially if it would be another Fairy/Flying, but I think I'd rather see it be another type tbh.

Steel could work I suppose. Though it would bring into question Pikipek's evolution as most speculate Steel for that. I've also seen people suggest it might be Pikipek's evolution, but I'm not sure a toucan really fits the speedy pecking and Skill Link theme Pikipek has since toucan's don't use their beaks to drill holes... But they can use them to get into holes in trees and Pikipek spits seeds and focusing on a toucan's mouth could spit seeds too I guess. So I guess we'll see. I was hoping Pikipek's line would learn Drill Run, but if it turns into a toucan I'm not sure how likely that is. Normal/Flying/Grass/Ground just sounded like awesome coverage.

I'm excited for a toucan but just hoping it's an interesting type, Normal feels dull and we have loads of Normals in SM so far (with 11).

Also somewhat related to talking about shared types and Normal types, Oranguru being Normal/Psychic probably kills my speculation of Komala evolving into a Normal/Psychic type. That is, if Komala evolves at all... :p

To be fair, Gen I had a whole bundle of Grass/Poisons and Normal/Flyings, so two Normal/Psychic Pokémon isnt really impossible, especially as it looks like we're getting two Ghost/Fairies.

The only type I originally expected from Komala that I can no longer see is Normal/Fighting, as two Normal/Fighting Pseudo-Bear Pokémon would be a bit overkill, but even then we got two Psychic/Flying birds from Gen II.

Back
Top Bottom