• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Revealed Gen VII Pokémon discussion!

Favourite Alola Pokemon so far?

• Total voters
Decidueye (Rowhood): nice thing from grass/flying into grass/ghost, a little weird but we got one more and it has 2 immunities. Will be faster then Incineroar that has 2 type advantages against it.

Incineroar (Volcanoar): dark typing now makes it weak to fighting but immune to psyhcic, hope it is fast and has fake out.
It will be probably slower then Delphox.

Primarina (Aquamarina): the best one , water/fairy was a good choice here. Hope a stats like Serperior but with lower Speed then Incineroar. (2 type advantages against Incineroar)

Hope they will change there english names for the premiere.

If the demo was about pokemon "sun", then is there a chance for more forms in pokemon moon?
What do You think? could they get other typings?

Last edited:
Lol it's actually based off of the Barn Owl (my favorite owl too). Also, the Ghost typing may come from the myths of owls rescuing lost souls from the underworld. And also because it's ridiculously good at stealth, it's practically a ghost.

The REACH to justify the Ghost typing :p there's virtually no reason this thing is Ghost other than GF tryin to be "exciting" with the typings

PS this isn't a read at you, it's a read @ Gamefreak ;)

The REACH to justify the Ghost typing :p there's virtually no reason this thing is Ghost other than GF tryin to be "exciting" with the typings
Well, you're no good at stealth or being an archer when you're a high flyer. Unless you're one of those improbably skilled anime or tokusatsu characters. And even then, its description says that startling it could cause it to lose focus, and especially if it's caught off-guard - I'd say it's more likely to cause that to itself when you're in the air, no?

And trust me when I say that calling them out on Grass/Ghost isn't the worst reaction to the starters' typings - I was speaking with someone on a different Discord server who is endlessly annoyed at how Fighter-like Incineroar looks, and thinks it really shouldn't have looked like it did to better justify its Fire/Dark typing (even after I explained why it's the way it is). Personally, I don't mind - at the very least it means that Decidueye is no longer as weak to Ice!

You know, Decidueye having the ghost typing doesn't have to mean it's dead or that it is a "ghost". I imagine the ghost typing also means stuff like having a connection to the dead or having spiritual power.

Sorta like a medium or clairvoyant.

I mean I wouldn't really think of Sensu Oricorio as being dead either...

ghost and flying have one in common both give resistance to bug.
Hope it doesnt get lame Levivate. Gale Wings could still work, think of it.

Look now at gen VI and gen VII, the starters are a little matched or not?

You know, Decidueye having the ghost typing doesn't have to mean it's dead or that it is a "ghost". I imagine the ghost typing also means stuff like having a connection to the dead or having spiritual power.

Sorta like a medium or clairvoyant.

I mean I wouldn't really think of Sensu Oricorio as being dead either...

K so how come its description mentions ZERO connection to any kind of spirits or supernatural behavior #StopTheExcuses

And I kinda do think Ghosts should be "ghosts"; there's no reason Decidueye couldn't have had the connection to the spirit world and been Psychic, or Dark, or just Grass/Flying!!!

( ;) )

I just wish the typing made sense/wasn't random bullshit, but I do like the idea of an owl archer with supernatural affinity very much, actually. There's something very exciting and simultaneously calming about it. I like woodlands fairytales type creatures, I think!

Incineroar and Primaria should've had better cries, considering part of their designs are based around that. Incineroar is decent but it has a gen 1-3 vibe, while Primaria's is too simple.

I was pretty neutral on the Tapus when I looked at them in the datamine, but now my opinion has changed. My favourite one is Tapu Bulu, he has a nice personality, an unique design and on the top of that one of the Carnivals of my country has a Red Bull wood mask as its main symbol. Tapu Lele looks weird, I was convinced it was a squid but now I'm not too sure. Tapu Fini looks elegant and small, it's a shame she doesn't appear earlier.

I think for me, with Decidueye, if you imagine a Ghost type gym leader or otherwise any Ghost monotype team using Decidueye, you QUICKLY notice how Decidueye stands out like a sore thumb because thematically it carries so little in common with virtually every other Ghost type. Even Oricorio and Marowak have a spooky, eerie vibe going on.

I think the Dex entries are their last chance to justify the Ghost type, and even then it'll probably be too little for me

Incineroar and Primaria should've had better cries, considering part of their designs are based around that. Incineroar is decent but it has a gen 1-3 vibe, while Primaria's is too simple.

I was pretty neutral on the Tapus when I looked at them in the datamine, but now my opinion has changed. My favourite one is Tapu Bulu, he has a nice personality, an unique design and on the top of that one of the Carnivals of my country has a Red Bull wood mask as its main symbol. Tapu Lele looks weird, I was convinced it was a squid but now I'm not too sure. Tapu Fini looks elegant and small, it's a shame she doesn't appear earlier.

Lol one of the first things I noticed was how like, ordinary Primarina's cry was

I guess I'll give my thoughts on all the newly officially revealed mons:

Decidueye - I love it. I've been hoping it was real since the beginning and it's perfect. The ghost typing was a surprise though, I was kinda hoping for it to retain flying. But I'm not apposed to ghost.

Incineroar - I thought Litten was boring when it was first reveal but it's evolutions have consistently make me like it. I absolutely love the Emboar vibe I get free it. Ugh it's amazing.

Primarina - I really can't find anything that I like with its design. I don't dislike it though. But I'm disappointed in the direction that Popplio's line took. But at least it didn't get my hopes up and crush them like Braxien and Delphox did to me.

The Tapus - They're okay. But I really can't say that I love any of them. I love their Z-move though.

Cosmog - I must protect it, its so cute. It looks like it came straight out of the Mario & Luigi series.

Alolan Persian - I'm so torn. I really don't like the design but I do like the description on the website. Why'd they take the amazingness that was A-Meowth and do this to it? Too many Alolan forms are way too jokey for my liking.

Too many Alolan forms are way too jokey for my liking.

In fairness, I don't think it's actually meant to be jokey. People keep framing it that way by comparing it to Garfield, but it seems to have a legitimate basis in peke persians, and nothing about it's description on the site casts it in a humorous light. Its round face is a symbol of lavishness, kind of like how portliness is sometimes used as a sign of wealth.

Personally I still see more elegance in it than silliness.

I'm not sure if it will happen but I would like it if Decidueye would get access to Will-O-Wisp. I think that it could get access to it since almost all Ghost-type Pokémon have access to the move, although Froslass doesn't get access to Will-O-Wisp and it doesn't start out as a Ghost-type.

In fairness, I don't think it's actually meant to be jokey. People keep framing it that way by comparing it to Garfield, but it seems to have a legitimate basis in peke persians, and nothing about it's description on the site casts it in a humorous light. Its round face is a symbol of lavishness, kind of like how portliness is sometimes used as a sign of wealth.

Personally I still see more elegance in it than silliness.
I see what they were going for, but I feel like it's design could have gone through a few more revisions. Right now it feels like they took the head of the design they were going for and pasted it on a grey Persian's body. And it'd be fine in a vacuum, but we also have A-Exeggutor and A-Dugtrio. And it's just too much for me at this point.

Last edited:
Decidueye: Turned out better than I hoped. Swapping flying for ghost means no rock weakness and an immunity to fighting. Sure its no longer immune to ground but it would resist that anyway. If it can learn baton pass or even u-turn it could do some crazy stuff with spirit shackle. Looks like it might be physically based since every move we've seen it use so far is a physical attack, probably gonna be the fast one of the three. Though if that's the case it could be an issue since physical ghost moves are quite limited in strong moves unless spirit shackle has around 80 base power.

Incineroar: I'll be honest I was never gonna pick Litten because my gut told me something like this would happen and I'm not a fan of the design. At least it isn't fire/fighting though I can see it learning many fighting type moves since it's still a wrestler. Darkest Lariat could make it good versus defensive pokemon especially if both of its attacking stats are good. Though somethings gotta give it could be frail or slow if that's the case.

Primarina: Popplio turned out well like its predecessors. I love the elegant design and water/fairy is an amazing type (just ask Azumarill). Sparkling aria may be confusing but it could be like wake-up slap and smellingsalts so while it cures an opponent's status effect it could also deal increased damage which could be bad news if your holding a flame orb and you keep putting the burn back on. Probably gonna be a bulky special attacker. Here's hoping it gets ice beam like most water types and some good fairy moves like moonblast..

I think Incineroar is my new favorite Pokemon (sorry Drapion :giggle:). I'm so glad it ended up being a fire/dark type because I think that's a cool combination. I also love all the jokes about Incineroar still doing weird cat things even after it evolves.

The Tapus - They're okay. But I really can't say that I love any of them. I love their Z-move though.
give them one more Z-move that alows them to take a beast form.

Decidueye(Nighthood): very good typing, remember it gets probably Fly, Phantom force , Roost, Draining moves, Leech seed, U-turn(if it can trap a oponent it could also run), Whirlwind, Bravebird, Leaf Blade, Solar Blade or Solarbeam. Some sonic and sound based damaging moves, because owls scream.

Incineroar(Volcanroar): hard one, probably Flying Press? fighting,normal, dark, ground, poison, steel moves? Bullet punch anyone? Shadow or Crush Claw?

Primarina(Aquamarina): Bounce, Acrobatis, probably they wanted maybe a part psychic type but then change there mind. Many psychic, fairy, water, ice, ghost moves, becuse it's a sirene I think Mud Sport would work (sand+water=mud) to make it a little competitive against electric types.

Last edited:
I feel Decidueye may be part of a new, refreshing take on the Ghost-type. Nothing's actually saying Ghost-type Pokemon needs to be actual ghosts or spirits themselves, I mean Sensu Oricorio "...gathers the spirits drifting about in an area and borrows their power to fight".

I'm mostly just glad they didn't give it Grass/Flying, just because Rowlett had that combination doesn't mean it has to retain it all the way through.

Its a pitty we didnt get a snowman ice/ghost this generation but maybe we will get a totally ice based generation in future.

Grass/flying wasn't bad but now we got grass/ghost thats also perfect against normal, fighting , bug, poison, with only 5 weakness fire, ice,flying, dark and ghost. Rock and Poison got nerfed. Plus its now a good electric rodent predator.

Interesting all starters got immunities hope we get to make use of that.

Also look at ghost typing it protects from many sound based moves and both Primarina and Incineroar look like users of powerful sound based moves.

Last edited:
Decidueye is amazing in every way. I admit that I was wrong about that leak that turned out to be true. I think Primarina might grow on me if I give a chance which I am for my Sun team. Incineroar is great and it only gains one new weakness from it's secondary type.

I will admit that my opinions have changed since I first saw the concept art leak. I'm definitely more fond of Decidueye, to the point that Rowlett is now my confirmed starter. And even Incineroar has grown on me (despite the godawful name), and we'll probably bond even more once I use him as my Moon starter. I'm still not a fan of Primarina, but at least I'm not revolted anymore.

Decidueye

the first grass starter that can handle our fire/fighting friends and has a greater chance of survival(Boomburst, Hyper Beam, Giga Impact, Focus Blast, Close Combat), if this one could get Thick Fat like mega Venusaur had or Disquise for that matter. Superv.
Even if it doesnt get this treatment, fly and phantom force will recompensate that in return.

Hope they use all 3 potential in movesests and abilities in future like they did with generation I
(we remember and wait for Venusaur and Blastoise secondary megas)

Back
Top Bottom