• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Revealed Gen VII Pokémon discussion!

Favourite Alola Pokemon so far?

• Total voters
The smaller the number of new pokemon, the more disappointed I am. MOAR pokemon are needed! ALL OF THE POKEMON.

Fill that world with species. Useless mons, ugly mons, amazing mons, big mons tiny mons. All are required.

I don't think I'm ready to go through another generation of people complaining about Trubbish, Stunfisk, and ice cream cones.

If there isn't a new transformation mechanic (that is, if the Mega Moves don't change the user's appearance), then I can see the new Pokémon count being somewhere upwards of 100. Not so sure about it surpassing 130, though. However, I personally hope that we get a few Mega Evolutions. Doesn't need to be a lot; I think 10-15 would be perfect.

This is the problem that mega evolutions created. The options are to either keep making them every generation and thus render the mechanic less special (and surprising for that matter), or you don't make more and it becomes this oddity you still have to carry between generations to justify its initial creation. Kinda like how the nidorans were when gender was introduced.

If ORAS is anything to go by then they can add new Megas mid-generation easily. So maybe they decided to focus on the new Pokemon more in SM and leave adding new Megas as the extra incentive for mid-gen games. Assuming we're getting another set of games this gen of course.

This would also allow them to create reactionary Megas (like some of the ORAS ones) to address any balance that might be needed with the SM meta. Things like Mega Gallade, Mega Lopunny and Mega Sceptile seemed to be influenced by the need to create answers to other dominant Pokemon like Mega Kangaskhan, Aegislash and Rotom (in that order for each example though Lopunny can be for both Kang and Aegi). Even if it didn't work out as planned it seems like it was their intention to me. So first Gen VII meta = new Pokemon meta, second VII meta = new Megas brought in to freshen Gen VII up and address any balance maybe. Just throwing it out there, might be wrong (I know people will laugh at Megas bringing balance but whatever :p )

Last edited:
Salandit is awesome. Not Vikavolt-level awesome, but still pretty awesome :D

Plus, Gen 6 wasn't perfect in that regard either, both fossils, Pyroar, Heliolisk, Dedenne and a few others are mediocre to bad as well, so it's not a quantity issue, it's how they're implemented.
Actually Heliolisk has been UU for quite a while, and Tyrantrum got banned from RU fairly recently. Even when he was in RU Smogon gave him an moveset for OU, since he just flat-out murders Talonflame.

If there's a new mechanic, then about the same number as Gen VI, especially if they are introducing 30+ of them right in SM. If not (which I doubt since there are clear hints for that synchro evolution thing), then about 100 or more. More quality than quantitiy is good, I don't want more evolutions like Magnemite to Magneton or Klink to Klank with them all looking the same.

But basically, since the already showed the whole evolutionary line of Grubbin, then the amount of pokemon shouldn't be much higher than 80-90.

Plus, Gen 6 wasn't perfect in that regard either, both fossils, Pyroar, Heliolisk, Dedenne and a few others are mediocre to bad as well, so it's not a quantity issue, it's how they're implemented.

Obviously if they only introduced 72 new pokemon. Also there are a lot of strong pokemon in Gen VI. T-Flame being one of them despite being the generic route 1 bird is self explaining. Percentually, the quality of usage is as high as gen V.

Oh my Composer Salandit is brilliant. It's design is spot on, a brilliant typing that may sorta steal our Fire/Poison Litten but who cares!? This thing looks awesome!
The ability, brilliant, about time Steel got some countermeasures. I don't think it will allow Poison types to be poisoned though, the name of the ability just makes me think so, you can corrode metal, but not poison. Immunity to poison (the status) is built-in to the Poison type, whereas Steel is immune to poison (the type), but I've never seen any evidence of an in-built immunity to poison (the status) because it was never needed, it's redundant since only poison type moves can inflict poison. I figure that Corrosion simply allows Steel types to be affected by Poison type moves, and by extension, be poisoned. Like a Mold Breaker specifically for the Poison type.
If ORAS is anything to go by then they can add new Megas mid-generation easily. So maybe they decided to focus on the new Pokemon more in SM and leave adding new Megas as the extra incentive for mid-gen games. Assuming we're getting another set of games this gen of course.

This would also allow them to create reactionary Megas (like some of the ORAS ones) to address any balance that might be needed with the SM meta. Things like Mega Gallade, Mega Lopunny and Mega Sceptile seemed to be influenced by the need to create answers to other dominant Pokemon like Mega Kangaskhan, Aegislash and Rotom (in that order for each example though Lopunny can be for both Kang and Aegi). Even if it didn't work out as planned it seems like it was their intention to me. So first Gen VII meta = new Pokemon meta, second VII meta = new Megas brought in to freshen Gen VII up and address any balance maybe. Just throwing it out there, might be wrong (I know people will laugh at Megas bringing balance but whatever :p )
My only problem with this is that it'll create another "Kalos Rules" type system. I never liked that, since some of the ORAS Megas are ones that I like and want to use them, I have to scroll through the PSS and specifically pick out ORAS people to request a battle against, rather than just scroll and challenge everybody. This is mostly me complaining about a system I didn't like though, it was just an inconvenience.

My big question is whether or not Salandit will be able to use damaging moves against steel types? Toxic is one thing, but if it can use Sludge Bomb/ Poison Jab aainst steel types and it actually be effective, then I am definitely going to use it.

Oh my Composer Salandit is brilliant. It's design is spot on, a brilliant typing that may sorta steal our Fire/Poison Litten but who cares!? This thing looks awesome!
The ability, brilliant, about time Steel got some countermeasures. I don't think it will allow Poison types to be poisoned though, the name of the ability just makes me think so, you can corrode metal, but not poison. Immunity to poison (the status) is built-in to the Poison type, whereas Steel is immune to poison (the type), but I've never seen any evidence of an in-built immunity to poison (the status) because it was never needed, it's redundant since only poison type moves can inflict poison. I figure that Corrosion simply allows Steel types to be affected by Poison type moves, and by extension, be poisoned. Like a Mold Breaker specifically for the Poison type.

Actually, other Poison types can be poisoned by those with the Corrosion ability; the video showed a Zubat getting afflicted with the status, and said that it could poison all types. A more appropriate name would have been something like "Contaminate" or "Venomous" but eh.

A more appropriate name would have been something like "Contaminate" or "Venomous" but eh.
I think it's to put emphasis on how Steel types are affected by it. What happens when corrosive acid gets on metal?

Actually Heliolisk has been UU for quite a while, and Tyrantrum got banned from RU fairly recently. Even when he was in RU Smogon gave him an moveset for OU, since he just flat-out murders Talonflame.

I'll give you Heliolisk, though Tyrantrum seems to be in a limbo considering it's still only considered BL2 at this point in time, OU also treats it as a more niche Pokémon.

Obviously if they only introduced 72 new pokemon. Also there are a lot of strong pokemon in Gen VI. T-Flame being one of them despite being the generic route 1 bird is self explaining. Percentually, the quality of usage is as high as gen V.

I never said that there wasn't any strong Pokémon in Gen VI, my only point was that Gen VI didn't inherently have more viable Pokémon with unique typings then Gen 5 just by how fewer its overall numbers were in comparison. For both, you had a number of great Pokémon, mediocre Pokémon, and outright bad Pokémon and neither were flat out better or worse then the other in that regard.

I think it's to put emphasis on how Steel types are affected by it. What happens when corrosive acid gets on metal?
It corrodes. That must be what they're going for- steel types have always been immune to attacks like toxic (I don't think poison types got it till gen 6? I might be wrong).

See, I was happy with the idea of only having 80-100 new Pokemon in Gen VII. But now we've got confirmation on around 30 (through reveals and confirmed evolution lines), and there's still a few more months of pre-release coverage. If there were only 100 new Pokemon, then we've seen far too many already in my opinion. Leave some surprises! I don't wanna know every Pokemon beforehand. At this point, I'm hoping for a good 120 or so.

I really wanted to stay completely blind for Sun/Moon, but it's absolutely impossible to avoid every single website, youtuber, facebook post, and every other single thing on the Internet for half a year, so I was forced to give up. I'd like GF to do their part and keep some damn secrets. That's my biggest complaint about pre-release coverage. They show WAYYYY TOO MUCH. Like, seriously. They have already given away far too much. Like, if we had this current amount of info (plus new gen mechanic/feature) at release time, that's more than plenty imo. But no, we'll probably be seeing practically all the Pokemon again

Sorry for the negativity. It's an off day for me. But this has been bugging me lately. We shouldn't be getting so many Pokemon so fast. Just in the last couple weeks we've seen how many? More than 10? Way too, unnecessarily, fast for reveals imo.

I personally like all the pokemon that have been revealed. Then again I like getting to meet the pokemon before I run into in the wild and fumble with trying to figure out how I feel about it.

That said, I would like to see some more humans and maybe a cool villain costume design.

See, I was happy with the idea of only having 80-100 new Pokemon in Gen VII. But now we've got confirmation on around 30 (through reveals and confirmed evolution lines), and there's still a few more months of pre-release coverage. If there were only 100 new Pokemon, then we've seen far too many already in my opinion. Leave some surprises! I don't wanna know every Pokemon beforehand. At this point, I'm hoping for a good 120 or so.

I really wanted to stay completely blind for Sun/Moon, but it's absolutely impossible to avoid every single website, youtuber, facebook post, and every other single thing on the Internet for half a year, so I was forced to give up. I'd like GF to do their part and keep some damn secrets. That's my biggest complaint about pre-release coverage. They show WAYYYY TOO MUCH. Like, seriously. They have already given away far too much. Like, if we had this current amount of info (plus new gen mechanic/feature) at release time, that's more than plenty imo. But no, we'll probably be seeing practically all the Pokemon again

Sorry for the negativity. It's an off day for me. But this has been bugging me lately. We shouldn't be getting so many Pokemon so fast. Just in the last couple weeks we've seen how many? More than 10? Way too, unnecessarily, fast for reveals imo.
I actually like meeting all these Pokemon before the game comes out, I like to sort out the team for my first playthrough before I even get the game. I choose for final evos, rather than pick for first how we first meet them and hope they don't turn out sickening like Fennekin did.
I'll still catch one of every species, but choosing my team is far more important for me.
So far the roster is:
  • Whatever starter I end up liking most, at this point probably Rowlett, may change depending on final evos.
  • Vikavolt
  • Rockruff
  • Pikipek
*Team roster subject to change if they release awesome Pokemon better than current roster.

I really like Salandit, especially it's typing and ability. I'm really impressed with it. Awesome design, although at first glance it's little fire like tree-trail design on it's tail reminded me of Heatmor a little.

I'm enjoying all these new Pokémon so far and I love that they all have their little niches. I really couldn't make a good estimate on how many new Pokémon we're getting this gen, given there are a lot of new abilities and moves (as it seems so far), I would put the new count at a similar one to XY's new Pokémon number, even though that worries me and I wouldn't want that. The pace of reveals is still similar to XY, just without megas as of yet, and like a lot of above posters I think megas (new ones at least) will be brought back in during the second games of this generation Ala ORAS, and the new mega moves mechanic or w/e will be the current staple.

Back
Top Bottom