• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Revealed Gen VII Pokémon discussion!

Favourite Alola Pokemon so far?

• Total voters
Guess I might as well talk about the new Pokemon.

Oricorio is probably my favorite reveal of the day. It has a very interesting concept. Having different appearances and types based on the island is really nice. I think the fire form is definitely my favorite.

Minior...don't care for it. The different colored cores look interesting, but otherwise it's pretty lame.

Gumshoos. Weird name, weird appearance. Not a fan.

Fomantis and Lurantis. They look nice. I prefer Formantis design wise though.

Mudbray. Eh, the eye kind of creeps me out. It's not terrible though.

Oricorio would be cooler if its ability would allow it to change forms somehow? theoretically how to optain a form? will they be ecolutions or form changes out of their islands?

I am ecstatic about Oricorio! As a bird nerd, when I first learned the new Gen VII region was based on Hawaii and that it contained much biodiversity and many endemic Pokémon, literally the first thought that came to my mind was, "This is the PERFECT opportunity for a Hawaiian honeycreeper Pokémon that has a different form on each island!" Lo and behold.

I always do at least one run-through per generation with a team of bird Pokémon native to the region in which I'm playing. It's going to be difficult to choose which form of Oricorio to use, but I am really digging the ghost-type for something different!

I really like Minior, but I guess it might be like Carbink and not evolve so it probably won't make it on my team...

Speaking of which I wanted to use Mudsdale so I'm glad it has a pre-evolution, even if isn't too great.

New mantis line is awesome and I've been wanting new mantis-based Pokemon forever, but not being Bug weirds me out. That "Solar Sword" attack looks amazing though.

EDIT: Now I get it, they're Hymenopus coronatus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia except an orchid mimicking a mantis instead of the other way.

Gumshoos is a clever design imo. But y'know probably won't be too good.

Birds are neat but not really my style.

Last edited:
-Gumshoos is meh. Another addition to the terrible rodents. I like his stance but he doesn't deserve more love.
-Mudbray should have been saved for post-release, he isn't really special and pretty much only exists to convince us that Mudsdale is a donkey more than a horse. I guess we can cross out Groundonkey from some people's want list.
-I wanted to like Minior, but Remainder that Cosmic type doesn't exist + unrelatable Meteor form + star form that looks like a recolor of Jigglypuff + Flying-type that doesn't really fit = no.
-Fomantis and Lurantis are cute and have amazing colors, and are nice representations of their real-life inspirations, but unless it becomes the new Whitney's Miltank I doubt people will pay attention to it.
-Oricorio is awesome. I like how it's a representation from cultures around the world. It's not only our hula-dance bird but many things more!

You know, I have to wonder why they reveal the pre-evolutions like Skiddo and Mudbray after they have already shown off their evolutions. Because the reaction to the pre-evolutions is generally more lukewarm, because it's going backward. If they had started with Mudbray, then we would have all been wondering what its evolution would be like.

Poll has been updated with today's reveal and is now multiple choice because we have so many choosing just one is probably too harsh :p If you want to recast your vote(s) remember to just click the button at the bottom of the poll that changes your vote :)

I assume Oricorio can learn all dancing moves? Sure, it can use them all through its ability, but hopefully it can learn them all, too. I don't want to have to send it out against a Volcarona just so I can get a Quiver Dance boost. Maybe the ability will even work with your Doubles (or Triples!) partner?

Thought this bit on the official page for the Sensu Style Oricorio was interesting:

> "By means of its dance, it gathers the spirits drifting about in an area and borrows their power to fight. People who migrated from Kanto feel a great liking for this Pokémon because its dance reminds them of their homeland."

God, I love how much thought and character and worldbuilding they're packing into this generation's Pokémon.

Thought this bit on the official page for the Sensu Style Oricorio was interesting:

> "By means of its dance, it gathers the spirits drifting about in an area and borrows their power to fight. People who migrated from Kanto feel a great liking for this Pokémon because its dance reminds them of their homeland."

God, I love how much thought and character and worldbuilding they're packing into this generation's Pokémon.
I wonder if it reminds them of Kanto because its dance style reminds them of the traditional Japanese dance style?

shojoji-1.jpg

Sensu Style Oricorio looks like it holds a fan as well :D

That bird pokemon looks interesting. I like how it can have a different primary type depending on form.

Posted already in the New Info thread, but I'll just give some brief thoughts here, too~

Formantis and Luratis are adorable~ Really loving Lurantis' design, looks like the new, feminine pretty Grass mon, a la Lilligant, which is my favorite with Leafeon~

Gumshoos is meh, Donald Trump mon~ Not awful but not exciting, IMO~

Minior looks cool and the Cores are hella cute! I'm excited for it~

Mudbray is a cute little donkey mon and I'm pleased with its design~

Totally love Oricorio's different variations!! Baile and Sensu being my favorite designs, while Pom Pom is pretty cute, and Pa'u style looks cool and interesting~ I also like the different types on each of them~

Overall 100% loving everything~ :3 My faves of the day were probably Formantis and Lurantis because I always love finding Grass-types to love since it's my least favorite type.

I'm not too fond of Gumshoos. I was 100% sure I'd use Yungoos unless it had a dissapointing evolution, and Gumshoos is, how do I put it? Too safe? It barely changed and I was expecting it to turn into a Dark-type. Oh well.

The other new Pokémon are really cool though. Fire and Ghost Oricorio are my favorites from this new batch.

GameFreak keeps topping themselves with these designs and concepts. I had a hunch Mudsdale would get a pre-evo. We still don't have a Dark-type revealed, which is a concern for Dark-lovers out there.

Oricorio is brilliant. I love how we get cool typings out of it that are rarily used.

what a lame day it is for us yungoos fans. I don't dislike gumsoos, but man, is it a disappointment. It's not even normal/dark. The detective motif is neat, I will give it that. Maybe it will grow on me a little.

minior's got a pretty eccentrically cute face there, I like that. Neato battle stuff it has going on too. Kind of weird that it is rock/flying considering levitating mons without wings (and often with wings) tend not to get that type, but I'm not complaining considering how rare it is.

lurantis is pretty nice, I'm glad we finally have a praying mantis pokemon that isn't cursed with scyther's ugly ass dino face. No idea why it is not bug/grass though. Hopefully it gets a nice HA, leaf guard is pretty trash compared to everyfin else this gen and their horde of great abilities.

oricorio is neat too, I like the ghost variant the most. Hopefully it is usable, as well as fast, because gengar's monopoly on the "fast ghost" thing has really gone on long enough. Fuck gengar.

alolan exeggutor is pretty funny and alolan sandslash is kind of cool looking, though it'll probs be as useless as ever with those weaknesses. Alola ninetales, well, it exists, and I really couldn't give less of a shit about it. I will be enraged if alolan variants are exclusive to kanto mons, because it is a fun concept.

I think the new pokemon reveal are neat and have great designs. Can't wait to see Pikipek's evolution later on.

I guess I'll give my take on the new Pokemon.

Oricorio - I like these guys overall, though I doubt I'll use them since I plan on using Rowlet. I don't really have a favourite right now.

Minior - Probably my favourite of the new Pokemon, mainly because I see a lot of potential in it for it's evolution. It looks sort of babyish right now so I think it'll evolve. (especially considering colour variations didn't stop Flabebe from evolving)

Gumshoos - Eh I'm not keen on this one. It doesn't help that the whole Donald Trump joke was never funny. The few Ace Attorney jokes about Detective Gumshoe are like a ray of sunshine amongst the endless tsunami of "Make Alola Great Again"s. I liked Yungoos somewhat but this design is probably one of my least favourites so far.

Fomantis/Lurantis - Pretty cool designs. I wasn't sure about Fomantis at first but it's grown on me, I think it's animation really sells it more than the artwork does. The typing does seem a little odd, especially considering we already have a new pure grass type in Bounsweet. Doesn't seem like they're pushing the boat out on unique grass typings so far. It being nocturnal makes me wonder if they're going to be pushing the idea of certain Pokemon appearing at different times of the day again. It would be pretty cool if vastly different Pokemon appeared at night versus the day....and there was like a separate night pokedex. (I'm getting carried away)

Mudbray - This guy is definitely cute. I was already considering Mudsdale for my team but this guy could clinch a spot if he appears early on.

Back
Top Bottom