• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Revealed Gen VII Pokémon discussion!

Favourite Alola Pokemon so far?

• Total voters
1. Cutiefly - love the type and the fact that it's attracted to happy auras. I mostly love the design too.
2. Tapu Koko - love its shape and typing. Too bad its design has a bit too much going on.
3. Oricorio (all forms except for Psychic because I don't like the design) - I love dancing and physical activity, and the designs are pretty kool.
4. Mimikyu - cute, kool type, and I like the whole disguise and hiding from the sun thing of corse.
5. Salandit - really like it's shape and color scheme. It's too devious for my taste though.

1. Salandit - I love its appearance, its typing, everything. It's my dearest wish that it'll evolve into a something bulkier, more akin to a Komodo Dragon, which is my favourite real world animal.
2. Tapu Koko - new type combo, sweet design. I was kinda saddened it's a Legendary 'cause I really would've loved one for my team if it was a normal 'Mon.
3. Rowlet and Rockruff- if I ever make a Top 10 cutest Pokemon list, both of these are going to be in there somewhere. So they share a spot. Is it cheating to put 2 оn the same spot? Probably.
4. Vikavolt - just look at it. It looks like it's ready to f*** your s*** up.
5. Drampa - because it's basically Falkor from The Neverending Story.

I'd have to say that mine, in no particular order are

• Vikavolt: It just looks so cool in so many ways.
  • Minior: It's a really cool concept, and I like that GF finally gave the flying type where before they would've just said "it's got Levitate, deal with it."
  • Rockruff: It's just so cute! The promising concept of a fast rock type is really neat too.
  • Tapu Koko: Its design is so cool and interesting, and its ability finally lets a terrain out from behind a move.
  • WishiWashi: Its concept is awesome, and School Form just looks so cool.

Oh, let's see... (I'm not really going to consider Alola Forms for this, just new Pokémon):

1. Mimikyu - I never would have thought they could be so self-aware when designing a Pokémon. They've done some meta-ish stuff before but never on this level. A lighthearted jab at Pikachu being a merchandising titan is the last thing I would have expected from a Pokémon, but it's right up my alley. And it has such a fun type combination!
2. Solgaleo - So freaking cool. Majestic, and exuding power. Ask me to name two things that come together to make a really awesome design, and I would never come up with the combination of lion + astronaut. But here we are. Easily one of my favorite legendary Pokémon designs ever. I'm actually a little jealous, because my girlfriend and I always get opposite versions, and we already committed to her getting Sun and me getting Moon. I mean, I'm sure I'll pick up a copy of Sun at some point, but still. :p
3. Gumshoos - I adore the storyline that they've got going between this guy and Alolan Rattata. I love when a Pokémon has a story behind their design, and we have actually gotten quite a few of those this time, but this particular relationship has been realized extremely well within the designs.
4. Palossand - A very clever idea! And it's exactly my kind of "weird." I'm usually a big fan of the stranger, more oddball designs, so a haunted sandcastle is definitely something that would appeal to me.
5. Mudsdale - Just a really cool Ground-type. I'm not usually too big on horses, but clydesdales are an exception. They look really sturdy and powerful, but then they have that stylish fur around their ankles. Also I like to joke that you could use it for a Game of Thrones themed team, a since it's a perfect Dothraki horse

1. Salandit - I feel in love with this Pokemon when I first saw it. I've been wanting to make a character out of it for a long while... Just haven't gotten around to it.
  2. Solgaleo - It has to be one of my favorite Legendary Pokemon now. It looks so majestic and awesome. 0:
  3. Rockruff - It's a puppy... It has won me over just for being one. <3 I'm looking forward to its evolution.
  4. Wishiwashi - I love the whole concept. Its School Form looks awesome! I may use it for my team.
  5. Alolan Vulpix or Alolan Ninetales - I love them both! Alolan Ninetales is kind of special to me due to the fact I had a Ninetales character a few years ago... I haven't drawn him in a long time.
Honorable mentions: Vikavolt, Bruxish, Mimikyu, Wimpod, Mudsdale, Minior, Oricorio, Sandygast, Palossand, Morelull, Crabrawler, Tapu Koko, Lunala, and Alolan Rattata... Okay, that's a lot.

My top 5 at this moment? Sure! I'm leaving most Legendaries out of this one because most of then are cool in my book and I can't decide between them, and Alola Forms because I think that's better off in its own list - and compared to their original counterparts, at that. The order shown for this list is the order they were revealed, and there's no real order for their actual placements.
  1. Vikavolt - Outside of Magearna and the Mascots, this was the first Pokemon whose design really spoke out to me - most of it having to do with the fact that it looks like a Pokemon version of the Vic Viper.
  2. Tapu Koko - What seems to be the first of the region's lower bracket of Legendaries has a very unique effect, type and a cool design. I think if I were to monotype with Alola Region mons, it'd be Electric because its ability goes extremely well with that of Alolan Raichu!
  3. Mimikyu - The type is one of the most unique things about this mon, but it's the concept that really stands out to me - putting a lampshade on how much money the franchise and its mascot rakes in every year, with more and more merchandise over the years and no sign of stopping.
  4. Fomantis and Lurantis - I practically fell in love with this design. A mantis that's not actually a Bug type! While I don't see it being a major competitor, I think this is one thing that's definitely sticking on my ingame team to the end.
  5. Oricorio - four different styles and a signature move which changes depending on its form. Sensu Style speaks out to me the most... Maybe I'm just that obsessed with Japanese culture.
And that should do it!

My Top 5, Excluding Alolan Variants:

1: Rowlet: A super cute, well streamlined grass owl starter. Still my favorite of the group!

2: Palossand: Must... have... derpy... Sandcastle-mon. ._.

3: Cutiefly: An adorable, scatterbrained fairy bug, much to my desire. I have a feeling that the evolved form will look wonderful...

4. Mimikyu: I love how meta its backstory is, and all the fan art just keeps making this disguised ghostie even more relatable to me.

5. Popplio: I always did like how alive and acrobatic it's design was, and I've always liked many of the Sea Lion Pokemon they've made. (Spheal is awesome, too!)

Top 5:

5. Salandit - I want to see an evolution on this thing, and it probably doesn't get Recover or Slack Off, but besides that it might be a good stallbreaker with taunt + toxic and it can beat heatran that doesn't run Earth Power. I can see there MAYBE being a niche for this but I'm not SUPER hopeful. We'll see.

4. Tapu Koko - If it has thundurus-esque stats it will be dope considering LO Electric Terrain Tbolt will be godly. Low key it's a good anti-Amoonguss tech, too, since when Amoonguss comes in to wall Elec/Fairy coverage, Elec Terrain prevents Amoonguss from using Spore to catch your switch-in.

3. Wishiwashi - SpA looked stronk af, but I'm concerned about the reverting to solo form mechanic, especially because it makes HPa premium resource, therefore precluding it from using Life Orb as an item (which in turn prevents it from running a mixed attacking wallbreaker set, which I bet it'll have perfect stats for). But water is a great offensive type and if it has decent speed i could see a Specs set being good. Call me cautiously optimistic.

2. Palossand - Looks like it might be a viable spinblocker, and variety is always nice since it means you don't have to run MSableye. My problem with it is that it doesn't beat Starmie unless either a) its SpD is absurd or b) it gets Water Absorb as a HA. I'm legit mad that they invented a new, borderline useless ability for it when Water Absorb would've conveyed the same flavor and been REALLY FRICKIN GOOD xD. I mean, 90% of good water pokemon are special! What are you gonna wall with that? Crawdaunt? Mega Sharpedo? Mega Gyarados? Azumaril? Have fun eating STAB Dark moves or a Huge Power Knock Off from the only good physical waters in the game xD xD This all sounds pretty pessimistic but I have high hopes for a good BST and movepool (Recover pl0x) and FINGERS CROSSED for Water Absorb (or Arena Trap would be acceptable too) for its HA.

1. Mudsdale - Seems like the sort of thing that might get Slack Off. Slack Off + Bulk Up/Stealth Rock + EQ + Stone Edge/Toxic + max SpDef max HP + Stamina + lefties = great bulky ground, new Hippo maybe. yes please

I think if I were to monotype with Alola Region mons, it'd be Electric because its ability goes extremely well with that of Alolan Raichu!

Yeah, somewhat related to your point here, I'm really liking the attention Electric is getting this generation after VI. Heliolisk was (and is) really cool but besides that we only got Dedenne which is super meh. So far we've got Vikavolt, Tapu Koko, Alolan Raichu, Oricorio Pom-Pom, Togedemaru... all of which I really like, so it feels good to be an Electric fan this generation and I'm hoping there's still a couple more surprises coming for it too! :p

I guess Bug fans might feel the same after VI only had Vivillon. Cutiefly, Vikavolt, Wimpod is already two more Bug lines than VI gave and we don't have the full dex yet!

I'd have to say that mine, in no particular order are

• Vikavolt: It just looks so cool in so many ways.
  • Minior: It's a really cool concept, and I like that GF finally gave the flying type where before they would've just said "it's got Levitate, deal with it."
  • Rockruff: It's just so cute! The promising concept of a fast rock type is really neat too.
  • Tapu Koko: Its design is so cool and interesting, and its ability finally lets a terrain out from behind a move.
  • WishiWashi: Its concept is awesome, and School Form just looks so cool.

Well I thought Minior made sense as a Flying type because its inner core seems to be made out of some atmospheric material + it looks like it actively spends time up really high in the atmosphere and doesn't just levitate

I agree on all of these!

Top 5:

5. Salandit - I can see there MAYBE being a niche for this but I'm not SUPER hopeful. We'll see.

2. Palossand - I'm legit mad that they invented a new, borderline useless ability for it when Water Absorb would've conveyed the same flavor and been REALLY FRICKIN GOOD xD.

Salandit is the only Poison/Fire type and as far as we know the only one with Corrosion. How is there any doubt it's gonna be unique/have a niche? ;)

Also how can Water Compaction be a "borderline useless ability" when it's really kooky and fun and unique, and has an active and noticeable effect. Sandcastles get knocked down by strong enough water so Water Absorb isn't as logical, in my book. I think Palossand should definitely get Arena Trap as its HA given what it was doing to that poor Pikachu, but Sandygast could rock Water Absorb maybe.

My Top 5, Excluding Alolan Variants:

1: Rowlet: A super cute, well streamlined grass owl starter. Still my favorite of the group!

2: Palossand: Must... have... derpy... Sandcastle-mon. ._.

3: Cutiefly: An adorable, scatterbrained fairy bug, much to my desire. I have a feeling that the evolved form will look wonderful...

4. Mimikyu: I love how meta its backstory is, and all the fan art just keeps making this disguised ghostie even more relatable to me.

5. Popplio: I always did like how alive and acrobatic it's design was, and I've always liked many of the Sea Lion Pokemon they've made. (Spheal is awesome, too!)

What is it about Cutiefly that makes it look scatterbrained to you??

Okay, my Top 5 (Excluding Alolan Forms) goes like this:

5. Oricorio (Sensu/Baile Style)- This bird is awesome. I love the designs and the inspiration. Baile may have a slight edge, just because of how cool it looks while dancing.

4. Lurantis- The colors on Lurantis are probably my favorite part. It just looks so cool with its stripes, and it seems powerful so far!

3. Litten- Loved this little guy ever since the starters were announced. He just looks so calm, cool, and collected. He's my favorite starter of this generation (and Popplio gives him a run for his money).

2. Stufful/Bewear- So many people have hated on this line, but I find them incredibly appealing. Something about the fact that Stufful hates being hugged, and then wants to give hugs when evolved is just so endearing.

1. Rockruff- If I ever had a pet from the Pokemon Universe, it would have to be this guy. He's by far my favorite Pokemon this generation, and is already one of my favorites out of all of the gens. Can't wait to pet this little guy in Pokemon Amie later this year.

Honorable Mentions: Pikipek, Gumshoos, Komala, and Charjabug's cry (It sounds so awesome, like Kricketune's!)

Well I thought Minior made sense as a Flying type because its inner core seems to be made out of some atmospheric material + it looks like it actively spends time up really high in the atmosphere and doesn't just levitate

I agree on all of these!

Salandit is the only Poison/Fire type and as far as we know the only one with Corrosion. How is there any doubt it's gonna be unique/have a niche? ;)

Also how can Water Compaction be a "borderline useless ability" when it's really kooky and fun and unique, and has an active and noticeable effect. Sandcastles get knocked down by strong enough water so Water Absorb isn't as logical, in my book. I think Palossand should definitely get Arena Trap as its HA given what it was doing to that poor Pikachu, but Sandygast could rock Water Absorb maybe.

I'm talking about competitive play. When something "has a niche", that means it "has a useful role that no other Pokemon can perform better than it". Salandit might simply be outclassed as a stallbreaker - it's 4x weak to ground, weak to Stealth Rock, probably won't have recovery of any sort, and may have low offensive stats since the Pokemon website explicitly says "it is not a very powerful pokemon". Basically, what i'm saying is "is there any reason to use it over Stallbreaker Talonflame" who has a fast Will-O-Wisp and Taunt (which will parallel Salandit's presumably fast taunt and Toxic), but also priority Roost to give it longevity and priority Brave Bird/Acrobatics so it can serve a dual function as both a stallbreaker and a revenge killer.

And Water Compaction is strictly ass lol. Just because it's "fun" doesn't mean it's good. Palossand MIGHT get Recover, but being 100% realistic, it probably won't, so it will be easy to wear down with status and repeated hits regardless of how high its Defense ends up. On top of that, Pokemon like Suicune, Starmie, Keldeo, Rotom-W, Volcanion (all commonly seen in OU) use Special water moves that Water Compaction doesn't help against at all. If Palossand gets hit by a Scald, Hydro Pump, or Steam Eruption, then it might as well have no Ability at all, since the next one will do the exact same amount of damage as the first one since WC only raises Defense when you get hit. And of the Physical Attacking Water types that are actually good, 3/4 (Crawdaunt, Msharpedo, MGyarados) have Dark type STAB moves that can hit Palossand without even proccing Water Compaction in the first place! On top of that, the 4th, Azumarill, always runs Knock Off, a very strong Dark coverage move that can do the same thing! And even then, out of those 4 Pokemon, Palossand CANNOT beat Crawdaunt even if it predicts and comes in on Crabhammer instead of Knock Off because Adaptability Life Orb Crabhammer is ABSOLUTELY going to 2HKO it straight out the gates either way - check this out.

252 Atk Life Orb Adaptability Crawdaunt Crabhammer vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 348-411 (82.8 - 97.8%)

-1 252 Atk Life Orb Adaptability Crawdaunt Crabhammer vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Landorus-T: 281-333 (73.5 - 87.1%)

Landorus-T and Hippo are the gold standard for bulky Grounds, and even they can't come close to avoiding the 2HKO from Crabhammer. IF Palossand has comparable stats (which I'm hoping for), the first one does 85, the second one does 42 and easily secures the kill. On top of that, I can guarantee that Palossand will probably NOT be running 252 HP/252+ Def as its EV spread - it will want SpDef EVs so it can take on shit like Heatran, Mega Manectric, Raikou, and maybe Lati@s or Starmie. This means Crabhammer will in all likelihood simply straight up OHKO Palossand out the gates.

I'm talking about competitive play. When something "has a niche", that means it "has a useful role that no other Pokemon can perform better than it". Salandit might simply be outclassed as a stallbreaker - it's 4x weak to ground, weak to Stealth Rock, probably won't have recovery of any sort, and may have low offensive stats since the Pokemon website explicitly says "it is not a very powerful pokemon". Basically, what i'm saying is "is there any reason to use it over Stallbreaker Talonflame" who has a fast Will-O-Wisp and Taunt (which will parallel Salandit's presumably fast taunt and Toxic), but also priority Roost to give it longevity and priority Brave Bird/Acrobatics so it can serve a dual function as both a stallbreaker and a revenge killer.

And Water Compaction is strictly ass lol. Just because it's "fun" doesn't mean it's good. Palossand MIGHT get Recover, but being 100% realistic, it probably won't, so it will be easy to wear down with status and repeated hits regardless of how high its Defense ends up. On top of that, Pokemon like Suicune, Starmie, Keldeo, Rotom-W, Volcanion (all commonly seen in OU) use Special water moves that Water Compaction doesn't help against at all. If Palossand gets hit by a Scald, Hydro Pump, or Steam Eruption, then it might as well have no Ability at all, since the next one will do the exact same amount of damage as the first one since WC only raises Defense when you get hit. And of the Physical Attacking Water types that are actually good, 3/4 (Crawdaunt, Msharpedo, MGyarados) have Dark type STAB moves that can hit Palossand without even proccing Water Compaction in the first place! On top of that, the 4th, Azumarill, always runs Knock Off, a very strong Dark coverage move that can do the same thing! And even then, out of those 4 Pokemon, Palossand CANNOT beat Crawdaunt even if it predicts and comes in on Crabhammer instead of Knock Off because Adaptability Life Orb Crabhammer is ABSOLUTELY going to 2HKO it straight out the gates either way - check this out.

252 Atk Life Orb Adaptability Crawdaunt Crabhammer vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 348-411 (82.8 - 97.8%)

-1 252 Atk Life Orb Adaptability Crawdaunt Crabhammer vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Landorus-T: 281-333 (73.5 - 87.1%)

Landorus-T and Hippo are the gold standard for bulky Grounds, and even they can't come close to avoiding the 2HKO from Crabhammer. IF Palossand has comparable stats (which I'm hoping for), the first one does 85, the second one does 42 and easily secures the kill. On top of that, I can guarantee that Palossand will probably NOT be running 252 HP/252+ Def as its EV spread - it will want SpDef EVs so it can take on shit like Heatran, Mega Manectric, Raikou, and maybe Lati@s or Starmie. This means Crabhammer will in all likelihood simply straight up OHKO Palossand out the gates.

Honestly you completely lost me the second you mentioned "OU" AKA the player-created Smogon tier. If you're talking VGC then sure I can see how some stuff is just not gonna work. But Smogon has tiers and the only stuff that doesn't work in any tier is like Unown, Delibird, Delcatty, etc, as well as obviously some unevolved pokemon like Caterpie.

Also I'm fairly certain Palossand is getting Recover! I think so, at least.

Honestly you completely lost me the second you mentioned "OU" AKA the player-created Smogon tier. If you're talking VGC then sure I can see how some stuff is just not gonna work. But Smogon has tiers and the only stuff that doesn't work in any tier is like Unown, Delibird, Delcatty, etc, as well as obviously some unevolved pokemon like Caterpie.

Also I'm fairly certain Palossand is getting Recover! I think so, at least.

No matter what tier it's in, Water Compaction will be ass just because the majority of water types prefer to use scald special attacks.

In terms of Salandit, you're right that it will probably be at least useable in at least 1 tier, but as an OU player myself, I picked my "top 5 new Pokemon" based on which Pokemon I am most looking forward to using in OU.

Top 5... Hm.

1) Rowlet - I just like it, and its alleged final evolution would be one of my favorite final evolutions of a starter.
2) Pikipek - I'm not in love with this one like I was Fletchling, but in reality, it probably is toward the top of the starting route bird Pokemon for me.
3) Mimikyu - A cute, fun concept.
4) Rockruff - I'm a dog person. Rockruff doesn't stand out to me as a dog Pokemon, but it is still cute.
5) Mudsdale - A new horse Pokemon! Not as cute as Ponyta, but I like it.

A special mention to Cutiefly. I don't like bugs at all, but that is one cute little bug. lol. Popplio is cute, too, but didn't make my top five.

Top 5 Pokemon revealed so far (no particular order):

1) Litten- Fire kitty! Fire kitty!
2) Salandit- Fire! Poison! Great design. CAN POISON ALL OF THE THINGS. Precious, precious baby.
3) Lurantis- You have no idea how long I have waited for a pokemon that looks like an Orchid Mantis.
4) Morelull- Mushroom! Mushroom!
5) Oricoro- Especially its Baile and Sensu styles. They look so nice!

Honorable mentions: Mudsdale, Crabrawler, Cutiefly, Bounsweet~

What is it about Cutiefly that makes it look scatterbrained to you??

According to its Dex description, they can be found literally in any place that has auras of strong emotions - even in cities and inside of buildings. I kind of find it funny in that regard in how it can be attracted by these auras into going to all sorts of places out of nowhere that normally you wouldn't think to find them. I wonder if they can be found in haunted houses too...

After thinking about it, "Scatterbrained" might not be the best word to describe this trait of them appearing all over the place. Maybe "Whimsical" or "Hyper Curious" could be better - I'm having a hard time finding the right word.

1) Minior: Super Mario Galaxy is my second-favorite game (next to SM64), and Minior's Core is based on the same Japanese candy that Star Bits are. The Core's expression is also priceless.
2) Rowlet: It has a great typing for a Starter. Its design is simple but classy (that bow tie...). The memes have helped Rowlet grow on me, as well.
3) Pikipek: I think it's the eyes that make it so great. The blue contrasts so well with Pikipek's feathers. Beautiful. I doubt it'll be better than the Starly line, though. Granted, Diamond was my first Pokémon game, so Staraptor will likely never be replaced.
4) Oricorio: Not a huge fan of the Electric and Psychic designs, but the Fire and Ghost ones are sweet, especially Ghost. I hope Fire Oricorio learns Blaze Kick so I can shout FALCON KICK every time it's used. Seriously, why can't Talonflame learn it?!
5) Mimikyu: This one was difficult to decide. Mimikyu gets #5 mainly because I feel so sorry for it. Mimikyu, you may not be my favorite Pokémon of Alola, but you've earned my friendship nonetheless.
HMs: Morelull (reminds me of the bioluminescent mushrooms in Paper Mario's Forever Forest), Wishiwashi, and Palossand.

1) Minior
2) Minior
3) Minior
4) Minior
5) Minior

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom