• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Revealed Gen VII Pokémon discussion!

Favourite Alola Pokemon so far?

• Total voters
Since you had asked in your first post why a Lunala next to a Rockruff in Sun wouldn't result in Midnight Form, but then asked in a different post why a Solgaleo in the PC would, it seemed to me as though you were confused about the particulars of Solgaleo/Lunala's status on your team in relation to Rockruff.

No, I was just saying that since they had said that it was the influence of Solgaleo/Lunala on Rockruff that made it evolve in a certain way......then I was wondering why having one on your team wouldn't have any affect on Rockruff....since you would think that if they were in such a close proximity to Rockruff that their influence would cause them to evolve differently regardless of what version you were playing.

Maybe I'm just expecting too much out of these games for it to actually make sense like that. :p

The latest new pokemon have great designs and look fun to use in a team. Lycanroc has a cool name and has definitely confirmed the pokemon to be a werewolf like pokemon.

No, I was just saying that since they had said that it was the influence of Solgaleo/Lunala on Rockruff that made it evolve in a certain way......then I was wondering why having one on your team wouldn't have any affect on Rockruff....since you would think that if they were in such a close proximity to Rockruff that their influence would cause them to evolve differently regardless of what version you were playing.

Maybe I'm just expecting too much out of these games for it to actually make sense like that. :p

Sorry for the misunderstanding. :p

At any rate, I maintain that it probably has to do with a more fundamental sort of influence - it's not simply that the mascots' bodies radiate energy. Solgaleo has been more prominent in the Sun universe, presumably, for eons, so it makes sense that the wildlife and the ecosystem would have been shaped by and would have adapted to the amplified solar energy. So it would be less a matter of any individual Rockruff being physically closer to either source of energy - think of it more in terms of the entire species. In the Sun universe, Rockruff have been being born and growing and living in the amplified solar energy for so long, that it has affected the species's physiology to the point that they simply don't react to lunar energy. And of course, vice-versa for Rockruff in the Moon universe.

That's just how I think of it all at the moment, though. Obviously I haven't played the games for myself yet!

Edit: Essy's been in the sun too long; his brain is obviously fried.

Last edited:
In the Sun universe, Rockruff have been being born and growing and living in the amplified solar energy for so long, that it has affected the species's physiology to the point that they simply don't react to lunar energy. And of course, vice-versa for Rockruff in the Moon universe.

That wouldn't explain why you can (presumably) trade a Moon Rockruff over to Sun and have it evolve into it's midday form though.

I don't know, this is getting confusing.

You know there are probably going to people trading Rockruffs and then using a rare candy on them and trading them back. So it's probably not going to be that difficult to get the Lycanroc you want.

Yeah, will probably have to do it that way, as I always pick the version with the legendary I like the most. Being in uni it shouldn't be that hard now when I think of it, there's likely Sun people around too. (If it's true that you can just trade it and evolve it in the other version)

Get both versions. I'm sure that's what GF wants. :p

I used to buy both versions, but when I ended up only playing one of them I stopped. Was just wasting money in the end, haha. You will not get my money GF!

(If it's true that you can just trade it and evolve it in the other version)

You know, there's a part of Rockruffs description on the official site that reads "It’s said that it leaves its Trainer’s side to evolve and returns again when fully evolved."

I wonder if that's referring to people trading their Rockruffs to other versions in order to evolve them?

That wouldn't explain why you can (presumably) trade a Moon Rockruff over to Sun and have it evolve into it's midday form though.

Huh, you're right.

:whistle:

Well uh scrap that bit then. I'm sure I can cook up a decent headcanon eventually...

You know, there's a part of Rockruffs description on the official site that reads "It’s said that it leaves its Trainer’s side to evolve and returns again when fully evolved."

I wonder if that's referring to people trading their Rockruffs to other versions in order to evolve them?

That makes sense, though not every person will trade it over and have it evolved, so it might just be some in-universe thing for the species. Apparently Lycaroc are solitary creatures, so maybe when a Rockruff feels its ready to evolve, it leaves its Trainer to be in a quiet place, and then somehow return to them when fully evolved? Idk, but I do like the sound of it all though. Man, this strange evolution situation is actually starting to grow on me now, haha.

This is an odd question but if you were actually a trainer in the Pokemon universe how would you know which lycanroc you would get or since the games take place in a different universe do you think there is only one form per universe? (Hope that's not confusing)

This is an odd question but if you were actually a trainer in the Pokemon universe how would you know which lycanroc you would get or since the games take place in a different universe do you think there is only one form per universe? (Hope that's not confusing)

I guess it would be translated in the form of time-based evos, like Espeon and Umbreon. Since game mechanics don't always apply to everything else in the Poke-universe (the anime and manga certainly prove that), it would probably just end up as a time-based evolution in this case. It's probably the most logical explanation for this case scenario, since when it comes to games of any sort, they can tailor it however they please, while "real life" does not translate that way. That's my 2 cents on the subject.

If we think of the versions as parallel universes, which seems to have been the implication since at least as far back as BW (and is definitely being emphasized here), then presumably, the other form wouldn't even exist in "your" universe, so "Which form will my Rockruff evolve into?" wouldn't be a question that ever entered your mind. Rockruff in your universe seem to consistently evolve into only one thing.

Also ( and the only reason I wonder is because the website specifically refers to solgaleo and lunaala being the energy source for lycanroc.) do you think rockruff might get a third form if they were to release Pokemon eclipse? I don't think so just wondering what everyone thought

I think its possible that rockruff may evolve near or at a sundial/moondial or some shrine. but I would assume if there was something other than leveling up, it would have been stated. However you never know.

Also ( and the only reason I wonder is because the website specifically refers to solgaleo and lunaala being the energy source for lycanroc.) do you think rockruff might get a third form if they were to release Pokemon eclipse? I don't think so just wondering what everyone thought

I don't think we'll be seeing third versions anymore.

I think its possible that rockruff may evolve near or at a sundial/moondial or some shrine. but I would assume if there was something other than leveling up, it would have been stated. However you never know.

Telling us that the evolution is based solely on version and then having it actually be more complicated than that would be unnecessarily confusing. They don't accomplish anything by hiding that information from us.

I had a realisation earlier that Comfey might actually evolve. Before now I hadn't considered it would evolve at all, probably because it gives off Klefki vibes. But now I can see it being similar to Florges with it being a vaguely humanoid Fairy with flowers aspects. The lei will probably go around its neck, with another smaller flower crown around its head. It will probably have a skirt and be one of these classic hula girls, but in... green weird fairy form. It already looks like it has hair as it is, so I can see that being carried on throughout the evolution/s.

I wonder if Lycanroc (Night) is in line for Gen 7 representation in the next Super Smash Bros. I love its look and it definitely has a good stance as a bipedal fighter. (Plus it knows Counter lol). I can totally see it be in Smash and gain some type of popularity. I don't think any of the starter egos would make viable characters for Smash.

The day form looks good too. I love the version exclusive primates because both are based on something we haven't really seen yet.

Oranguru is not Harambe, people. :-/

I wonder if Lycanroc (Night) is in line for Gen 7 representation in the next Super Smash Bros. I love its look and it definitely has a good stance as a bipedal fighter. (Plus it knows Counter lol). I can totally see it be in Smash and gain some type of popularity. I don't think any of the starter egos would make viable characters for Smash.

There will probably be quite a while until we get another Smash game, and Generation V never got a playable Pokemon there, so we might not get any Gen VII either. At the moment I don't see Midnight Lycanroc gaining that Lucario/Greninja/Charizard etc.-type of popularity, but who knows.

It sounds like wishful thinking to me. The somebody could just be upset about Lycanroc's pure Rock typing. I've seen someone advocate split starter evolutions simply because they don't like the leaked bipedal final evo of Litten.

Course, I could be totally wrong. I just don't find it likely.
but looking at their abilities especially the night form looks like a hint to more. Plus if they put something in rank with starters it should be a 3 stage line.(Rockruff+Lycanroc+something more)

Last edited:
I'd rather have the Midday form given that Pokemon's heavily represented by anthropomorphized animals already.

But yeah, I also doubt Gen VII is getting represented in Smash since a new game would likely come out around Gen VIII's release, thus Smash would have characters from that. Alternatively, Pokken could probably get a Gen VII update considering that they periodically add new characters.

I would assume that any third version (and future games) will take the stance that Solgaleo and Lunaala's powers are both active, thus Rockruff evolves into its Midday form during the day, and Midnight form at night.

Drampa and Turtonator look like they are already fully evolved or in middle stages so I think Jangmo-o is the pseudo as it looks like it is a base stage pokemon and it looks like it is caught late in the game. Not to mention that other pseudos apart from two are Dragon.

Reason for it to evolve into Dragon/Fighting - it is a new type combo and be very dangerous with the attack stat since both Fighting and Dragon are known to be good with attack stat.

Reason for it to evolve into Dragon/Steel - Could use another one of that type combo and it kind feels like it could be part Steel. Plus it is a great combo for a Dragon.

Back
Top Bottom