• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review League

I have an unusual, delicate scene creation request. For I'm requesting a recreation of a scene made by my niece. She's in third grade, and while I was babysitting one night, we made this:

Pony_3.png

This is Kylie. She is a retexture of a Ponyta with the flames deleted. I edited the model, and my niece made the texture. As in, my 3rd-grade niece was doing actual 3D texturing all on her own via Blender's texture paint tool. Blender is a 3D modeling program used for both amateur and professional game development. And my niece was using it.

We used Blender's camera function to copy-paste this picture into GIMP (aka open-source Photoshop). Using GIMP, my niece gave Kylie her name. And now Kylie's my desktop background, and I want to surprise her the next time she looks at my desktop.

I'm requesting a scene recreation of this image for my niece, but there's a catch. My niece doesn't know Kylie is a Ponyta, and I need it to stay that way. Kylie came about because we spent an entire night babysitting trying to find a decent pony game, and they all sucked. So I spent a couple hours setting up Kylie; removing the flames, adding the ground and blue sky, setting up simple lighting, adding a blank white texture to paint on, etc. And my niece loved it. We turned it into a game, where one person left the room and painted a pony, while the other had to guess what color(s) the pony was. In total, we made eight named ponies, plus a bunch more we didn't have time to save/name. And along the way, I showed my niece what goes into a 3D model; I showed her the 2D image of the texture, the model's wireframe, how 3D models are actually hollow on the inside. And we even played around with the model itself, though I don't think her 3D modeling skills are on par with her texturing.

I want to surprise my niece with a "professional" drawing of the first pony she drew, Kylie. She's young, in the single digits, and so her standards probably aren't too high. But if possible, I want to convince her this scene recreation was actual commissioned artwork from a professional artist (and my relatives; if they found out I wrote Pokémon fanfic, I'd be a laughingstock. It's that kind of living situation).

And one final annoyance; the name "Kylie" needs to be on the picture. We made a lot of ponies; Kylie became the favorite, but there's others she could be mistaken for.

I've looked at exampled of scene creations and they all were pixel art-y, which wouldn't make sense for my niece. Because of that, I'm willing to pay the 80 points for a scenery-included character sketch instead, if needed/possible.

I realise this is a highly unusual request and I'm demanding a lot of details, so I'm willing to accept a higher point cost for these details (If I wouldn't be able to accept it now, I have reviews I can cash in and I'm willing to write more reviews if needed). And I understand if this request can't be accepted. It's very unusual, to say the least. Regardless, thanks for reading about my awesome niece who's the best painter in the world, all dem ponies got nuthin on Kylie.

Last edited:
Apologies for the lateness.

@kintsugi Your points check out. Adding to the leaderboard!

While I'm here, we've got a new challenge for June: Offer 100+ words of plot speculation on an author's work and claim 2 extra bonus points. Get speculatin'!

@Patrick Haines Looks like it all checks out, I'm adding your points to the board.

While I'm here, I'll make a note of a small change to the scoring, inspired by the above post:

Speedy reviews may also be claimed for review game reviews made within 24 or 48 hours, even if the chapter requested is older than that. When claiming a speedy review through the review game, please specify so!

henlo i hab somethin other than just hoc this time whoa

Hands of Creation - Chapter 41
base - 2
chapters - 1

Hands of Creation - Chapter 42
base - 2
chapters - 1

Dungeons & Dragonite - Chapter 1 (+ prologue)
base - 2
chapters - 1
review game - 2
1250+ words - 5

Different Eyes - Chapters 2-4 (and Interlude I)
base - 2
chapters - 3
2750+ words - 11

total: 32

i'd like to claim another two reviews on hunter, haunted (link in signature) on any chapters of the reader's choice (including the upcoming extra), though if you've read part of the story before it'd be cool if they you could pick up where you left off. cost should be 80 points. thank you

@canisaries - your scores check out, I've logged them and your review requests on the scoreboard. I'll be taking on the reviews sometime soon, with any luck! Also, your pending character sketch should be done soon.

Long time no see! Back with a review!
Dragony
Base: 2
Chapters: 6
750+: 3
Total: 11

If it’s alright, I’d like to make a request for a beta reader, preferably someone who doesn’t mind reading anime based fics or Teen rated fics. (Apologies if I messed the request up.) Thank you.

Welcome back, @TRNatalie! Your review checks out, and you actually get an extra point as I count 1000+ words in your review.

Your beta read request will cost 40 points. Be sure to have your draft of 10k words or less ready for any prospective beta.

Points logged.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom