• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Rewriting battles

It's been a while since I've done one of these, and now I'm back again with a rewrite of Leon vs Alain. I know that part of the reason the battle went the way it did is because of a lack of time but in this rewrite the battle would've been split into two episodes, with Rillaboom vs Chesnaught fight happening at the end of one episode and then the rest of the battle happening in the next one. Anyway, the battle would go like this in my version:
  • Rillaboom vs Chesnaught- Rillaboom wins. The battle begins with both Alain and Leon calling for Hammer Arm. Rillaboom and Chesnaught rush at and strike each other with incredible force, and at first it looks evenly matched. However, Chesnaught eventually forces Rillaboom backwards, winning the clash by a sliver (sidenote: this is a nod to STAB). Leon responds by telling Rillaboom to use Drum Beating, but Chesnaught blocks it with Spiky Shield and then retaliates with Pin Missile, which hits Rillaboom hard. Alain then tells Chesnaught to use Gyro Ball, but Leon has Rillaboom blast the Spiny Armor Pokemon away with Boomburst followed by another use of Drum Beating, which lands a successful hit this time due to Chesnaught being too dazed from Boomburst to shield itself. Chesnaught is tough, however, and it gets back on its feet. Alain calls for another Hammer Arm and Leon does the same, which suprises Goh and Hop in the stands, as Chesnaught had already proven capable of overpowering Rillaboom in a Hammer Arm clash. Ash, however, immediately realizes that it's a feint, and he's right: just as the two Pokemon clash once again, Leon tells Rillaboom to change his attack and use Acrobatics, which strikes Chesnaught extremely hard due to being at such close range, and that combined with the attack being 4x effective on the opponent proves enough to finally knock Chesnaught out. I really hope this still gives Chesnaught a good showing despite me removing Gigantamax Rillaboom from this round...
  • Rillaboom vs Charizard- both Pokemon use their respective gimmicks, and Mega Charizard X wins. Alain sends out his Charizard, and in response Leon immediately recalls Rillaboom into its Pokeball, which at first everyone assumes is a sensible switching out. But it isn't. Yes, Leon chooses to Gigantamax Rillaboom right here. Alain is unfazed and Mega Evolves his Charizard on the spot, and then calls for it to use Flare Blitz, which Leon has G-Max Rillaboom block it with G-Max Drum Solo, but unfortunately M-Charizard X proves too tough and powers through the vines, landing a massive hit on G-Max Rillaboom. Alain then calls for Dragon Claw, but Leon has G-Max Rillaboom blow M-Charizard X with a Max Airstream, which sends the edgy dragon crasing into the ground. Leon then calls for Rillaboom to use with Max Strike, but Alain quickly responds by telling M-Charizard X to counter with BURASTO BAAN. Sure enough, the infamous Greninja-slaying move overpowers Max Strike and lands a devastating hit on G-Max Rillaboom, finally taking it down. Alain decides to recall his Mega Charizard X, as he knows he's going to need it later. From the stands, Hop cries at the fact that one of his big bro's Pokemon was taken out, which surprises Goh a bit.
  • Dragapult vs Malamar- draw. Leon sends out Dragapult and Alain sends out Malamar, which the other Masters 8 members find an interesting matchup as Malamar's Dark/Psychic-typing allows it to hit Dragapult super-effectively, but gives it no real protection against Dragapult's Ghost and Dragon-type attacks. Alain makes the first strike by calling for a Throat Chop, but Leon's Dragapult dodges it effortlesly and then quickly dissappears, making Malamar nervous. As the squid Pokemon tries to locate its foe, Dragapult reemerges right behind it and strikes it to the ground with its powerful tail. From the stands, Hop excitedly cheers, claiming that no opponent has ever been able to doge his big bro's Dragapult's Phantom Force. Back in the battle, Malamar manages to get up and goes for Psycho Cut, but once again Dragapult is just too fast and dodges before landing yet another strong hit, this time with Dragon Rush. Leon then tells Dragapult to use Flamethrower, but before Malamar can be turned into an appetizer, Alain tells it to ride the flames so it can get in for a close strike. Malamar does exactly that and then hits Dragapult with a close-range Hypnosis, which makes Dragapult drowzy. Now that Dragapult's movements have been compromised, Alain tells Malamar to use this opportunity to strike with as many Throat Chops as it can. Dragapult takes significant damage and the attacks make it awake again, but although it's visibly damaged, it still isn't down. Alain silently laments not being able to take advantage of Malamar's Contrary Ability due to Dragapult being immune to Superpower, as if he'd been able to get a boost he might have won the round already. Still, now that Dragapult has been weakened, it might not be able to dodge as well as before, so might as well use the cards he's been dealt; Alain tells Malamar to use Psycho Cut, and Leon, relizing that Dragapult is too tired to dodge, calls for it to counter with a long-ranged attack of its own, in this case Dragon Darts. However, the two attacks end up grazing past each other and hit their respective targets right on, causing a double knockout.
  • Charizard vs Mega Charizard X- Charizard wins. Now that both trainers are down to their last Pokemon, they call for their respective signature Charizards. Ash is intrigued, since he's fought Alain's M-Charizard X before and knows firsthand just how amazingly tough it is. Furtheremore, Leon has already used up his gimmick on Rillaboom, so Leon's Charizard appears to be at a disadvantage. Hop, however, is unfazed and tells Ash that Leon's Charizard is the best and that it will win, just wait and see. Leon calls for his Charizard to use Air Slash, which Alain has M-Charizard X parry with Dragon Claw, which only mostly works, as some of the Air Slashes still do land their mark. Alain then has M-Charizard X use Flare Blitz, but to everyone's surprise, Leon's Charizard is able to stop it dead in its tracks with its bare hands, albeit with visible difficulty. Seizing his chance, Leon tells Charizard to go for a Dragon Pulse, which deals massive damage due to being a point-blank hit. M-Charizard X crashes to the ground, but is still not defeated, so it manages to get back on its feet. Alain tells M-Charizard X to use its famous BURASTO BAAN once again. However, Leon's Charizard counters with a Fire-type attack of its own: Fire Blast, which although less powerful is still strong enough to cause BURASTO BAAN to literally burn itself out. Unfortunately, the collision of Fire attacks does cause a huge explosion, which Alain and M-Charizard X take advantage of to get close and land a super-effective Thunder Punch on Leon's Charizard. Alain then tells his Pokemon to follow up with Dragon Claw, but Leon's Charizard manages to recover and retaliate with Ancient Power, which hits M-Charizard X hard. Leon's Charizard then finishes its opponent with one last Dragon Pulse, giving Leon the win and leaving his undefeated record intact.
And there you have it! Let me know what you think.
Far better than what the writers could ever come up with on their best day. Your version acknowledged that Alain is still a powerful trainer, and a worthy opponent for Leon, and all the while, insuring their match was very close and making Leon's anticipated win more believable.

Ok how would you take a crack at Ash vs Steven?
tbh I personally don't think the Ash vs Steven fight had any major problems aside from Aggron's portrayal, which would easily be fixed by making it trade a few more blows with Dracovish (preferably super-effective Water-type attacks like Fishious Rend and a newly-learned Hydro Pump) before the latter goes down, and with Aggron having taken more damage from Dracovish, Gengar knocking it out with a combination of a resisted Dazzling Gleam and a couple of Will-o-wisp burns (which realistically shouldn't have been anywhere close enough to fell a freaking Aggron) now looks more believable.

tbh I personally don't think the Ash vs Steven fight had any major problems aside from Aggron's portrayal, which would easily be fixed by making it trade a few more blows with Dracovish (preferably super-effective Water-type attacks like Fishious Rend and a newly-learned Hydro Pump) before the latter goes down, and with Aggron having taken more damage from Dracovish, Gengar knocking it out with a combination of a resisted Dazzling Gleam and a couple of Will-o-wisp burns (which realistically shouldn't have been anywhere close enough to fell a freaking Aggron) now looks more believable.
raises hand

Dracovish Vs. Metagross
Dracovish uses Water Gun, but Metagross dodges several attempts. Ash keeps ordering Water Gun, which Steven remarks is useless due to Metagross calculating the move (which we see a visual of); it reinforces its dodging with Agility. It then rams forward with Meteor Mash, but Dracovish tanks the hit. Ash then orders Ice Fang, to everyone's astonishment, which Metagross dodges. But it's exactly what Ash was banking on - all the dodged Water Guns left puddles of water on the battlefield. Ice Fang was meant to freeze the puddles, and Metagross, who is standing in one, now has its four legs trapped. Now that it can attack it freely, Dracovish uses Fishious Rend and the damage is NOTABLE. Everyone is amazed at how Ash did that, yada yada. Metagross is notably hurt, and after blasting Dracovish back with Psychic, Steven switches to Aggron.

Dracovish Vs. Aggron
Aggron uses Bulldoze to destroy the makeshift ice Ash created; Dracovish struggles as it takes damage and its Speed notably drops. Aggron then follows up with Rock Tomb, while Ash uses Water Gun; Dracovish is able to shoot down a few of the rocks, but it still gets pelted by most of them. As Dracovish suffered another Speed drop, Aggron is able to easily get the KO with a Heavy Slam from above. Dracovish is KOed.

Gengar Vs. Aggron
Gengar appears on the ground, so Steven tries Bulldoze again. But Gengar levitates (hehe) above the attack and strikes back with Will-o-Wisp. Steven changes tactics and tries to attack specially with Thunder (Emerald callback), but Gengar is too evasive; it suffers burn damage before being hit by a Shadow Ball. Steven decides to try and impair Ash's Pokémon's Speed again with Rock Tomb - Gengar tries to avoid them, but gets hit and knocked down to the ground; burn damage. Steven follows up with Bulldoze, but Gengar is able to levitate out the way and connect another Shadow Ball; the final bout of burn damage takes out Aggron.

Gengar Vs. Cradily
I would keep this largely the same. The only differences I would make is a) Sludge Bomb poisons Cradily, which essentially negates Ingrain's health restoration (which is commented on and we visually see the two) and b) Gengar's lowered Speed is noted as to why Cradily can catch it/hit it with Power Whip. Gengar is KOed.

Pikachu Vs. Cradily
Keep it largely the same; only difference is that Ash combines Quick Attack and Iron Tail like he did during Pikachu Vs. Cranidos, at the beginning. And then the eventual second Iron Tail for the KO. Cradily is KOed.

Pikachu Vs. Mega Metagross
We visually see Metagross reading Pikachu's moves. Static activates after Meteor Mash hits, but everything is the same up until 10 Million Volts somewhat hits (which Ash specifically reasons to use as a way to finish the fight due to Metagross being paralyzed and unable to calculate Pikachu's attacks as well as before). In a final act of desperation, Steven orders Metagross to pin Pikachu down; after doing so, it begins to use Explosion. Which is a nice call back to its Ultra Moon Pokedex entry (as well as a meta-sense, competitively):

"When it knows it can't win, it digs the claws on its legs into its opponent and starts the countdown to a big explosion."

Ash cries out for Pikachu to free itself with Thunderbolt, granting itself a reprieve; this interrupts Explosion. He then has it use Electroweb on the ground, which Metagross dodges. Steven calls for Metagross to pin Pikachu down again for Explosion, but Ash has Pikachu use Iron Tail on the Electroweb trampoline to jump incredibly high; a soon-to-detonate Metagross flies up after it. Pikachu then begins to descend with velocity, smacking Metagross back down to the arena with Iron Tail - it explodes upon hitting the ground, creating a huge explosion and smoke/kicked-up dust. As the smoke clears, Pikachu jumps back down exhausted and Metagross is KOed, reverting back to normal. After a hard fought battle, Ash wins!

I thought it would be cool if we emphasized Steven's controlling battle style that's centered around Speed manipulation (Bulldoze, Agility, Rock Tomb, etc.). The Explosion bit at the end may seem a bit outlandish, but I thought it'd be fun and add a sense of ultimatum-like dread while also reflecting Mega Metagross as a species. And yes - in my headcanon, Steven would have won if it connected and fainted Pikachu since it was his move that knocked it out (regardless of the fact that Metagross, too, would be KOed; like what happens in the games against exploding NPCs).

Ash vs Wattson

For those that don't remember or haven't watched AG
Pikachu got supercharged by accident and in the battle Pikachu one shotted (literally not a Pokemon taking a couple hits and people saying it got one shotted) Magnemite Voltorb and Magneton
Wattson gave Ash the badge since he lost

After Ash and co realized Pikachu was overcharged he tried to give the badge back but Wattson after seeing Ash with Team Rocket decided he earned it

So very much like OS with the giving the badge away

But I would change it as Wattson in the games if you didnt choose Mudkip (and kinda Torchic) was one of the toughest gym leaders in the series to this day (imo)

At this point Ash had Pikachu Treecko Corphish and Taillow
It was a 3v3 with Wattson announcing his picks like he did orginally

Changing this I would have Ash choose Pikachu Treecko and Taillow

• First: Magnemite vs Tailow
    • Tailow would win by being able to tank the electric type attacks and get the KO
  • Second: Voltorb vs Tailow
    • Tailow would win again for similar reasons showcasing it's “guts” and having a moment between it's capture and Tate and Liza of it's electric “resistance”
  • Third: Magneton vs Tailow
    • Magneton wins but noticeably with a steel or normal type move like flash cannon or sonic boom
  • Fourth: Magneton vs Treecko
    • Magneton wins again as even at this point Treecko didn't have Bullet seed (funnily learns it the next episode) so quick attack and pound wouldn't do as much
  • Last: Magneton vs Pikachu
    • Pikachu wins

It essentially is the Taillow battle but Pikachu had to steal the win lol

Can mess with the order and maybe Treecko is first and loses, Pikachu revenge KO’s the Magnemite but then loses to Voltorb, and Tailow does the rest making the final win with Taillow
But Ash had a history with electric type trainers and using Pikachu to shine made sense for AG

Making it the Taillow Battle as Pikachu had Roxanne, Treecko Brawly and Corphish will have Flannery. And in canon the gym gap for Taillow was from Brawly first loss (wasn't in the rematch) and then again with Winona where it was already evolved into a Swellow

But yeah Ash vs Wattson I think is the last instance of Ash given a badge (excluding Maylene's tie if you count that) so fixing that I think would be great and Taillow can have a gym win before evolving

Gonna do a rewrite of the first part of Ash's battle against Cynthia:
  • Dragonite vs Spiritomb- Dragonite is switched out. I did not like Dragonite losing again, so I'm changing it. The first part of the battle goes the same way, but I'd make it so that after taking a few Dream Eaters, Dragonite manages to wake up. Unfortunately, she is visibly weakened, so Ash decides it's too risky to leave her in lest she take another brutal combo of moves.
  • Gengar vs Spiritomb- Spiritomb is switched out. Ash sends in Gengar, who can fend off Hypnosis more easily thanks to his higher speed and his attacks being long-ranged. Gengar does take a hard hit from Sucker Punch, but he pays Spiritomb back with a powerful and super-effective Dazzling Gleam, prompting Cynthia to switch Spiritomb out.
  • Gengar vs Roserade- Roserade wins. Cynthia finally takes the first win with Roserade, who knows Extrasensory in my rewrite, thereby allowing it to knock Gengar out with a super-effective move.
  • Pikachu vs Roserade- Roserade is switched out. Ash sends out his ever-trusty starter, but Cynthia recalls Roserade immediately, since it still got burned by Gengar's Will-o-wisp and she doesn't want the damage to accumulate.
  • Pikachu vs Gastrodon. Pikachu is switched out. This fight actually goes almost identically to canon's with the only difference being that Gastrodon manages to endure Pikachu's Stone Edge/Quick Attack combo, as I don't think it made much sense for such a sturdy Pokemon to go down so fast. Gastrodon then uses Acid Armor, rendering both Iron Tail and Quick Attack unable to do much, forcing Ash to call Pikachu back.
  • Dragonite vs Gastrodon- Dragonite wins. Dragonite deserved to have a victory here, so I'm giving her one. Ash sends her out because out of all his Pokemon, she has the most ways to get past Acid Armor (i.e, Dragon Dance boosting Attack and rendering the Defense boosts moot, Hurricane and Draco Meteor targetting Gastrodon's unboosted Special Defense), and she does indeed beat Gastrodon with a combination of Hurricane and Draco Meteor, though poor Dragonite is still reeling from Spiritomb's brutal assault, which is going to have devastating results soon.
  • Dragonite vs Togekiss- Togekiss wins. With Dragonite still weakened and Togekiss having the type advantage, this battle ends quickly. Togekiss first paralyzes Dragonite with Thunder Wave and then attacks her with a strong Air Slash. Ash tries to keep up with the speed loss by calling for Dragon Dance, but it's not enough, and Togekiss finishes Dragonite off with a super-effective Dazzling Gleam.
  • Pikachu vs Togekiss- Togekiss is switched out. This battle goes completely unchanged from how the canon one went.
  • Pikachu vs Spiritomb- Pikachu wins, but faints from the effetcs of Destiny Bond immediately afterwards. This one is also unchanged. Seeing Counter Shield again was cool.
There, I gave Dragonite a win while still having Cynthia be the one to get a KO first. I know there's a lot of switching involved and that bothers some people, but with how rare switches are in the anime, this isn't much of a problem for me.

Alain vs Siebold

Blastoise vs. Charizard

Siebold commands the strong move Hydro pump but Charizard can evade and use Dragon Claw to knock Blastoise back, fast Blastoise use Hydro Pump that hits Charizard this time in the Stomach but he just uses Flamethrower to block Hydro Pump wich ends in a huge Mist explosion. Both switch out.

Starmie vs. Tyranitar
Sandstream activates, but Starmie uses Rain Dance fast enough to destroy the Sandstorm and bring up heavy rain. Tyranitar uses Crunch but Starmie evades the super effective move using Agillity what makes him fast enough to jump over the rain drops so that it looks like he flyies. Then he uses an Focus Blast that destroys Tyranitar in one hit. Both switch out.

Blastoise vs. Unfezant
Siebold uses the remaining turns of rain to heal his Blastoise with Rain dish. Unfezant attacks with direct attacks like Brave Bird, but Blastoise uses Rapid Spin to get faster to evade the attacks easy. Alain commands his Unfezant to fly in the clouds and prepare an suprise attack because astoise cant see behind the clouds. Now Unfezant hits with his Attacks and Blastoise shudders under the heavy Brave Birds and Steel Wings. He concentrates on the moves and then turns arround and intercepts Unfezant from and Steel Wing, and catches him to use an close Dragon Pulse, that swallows Unfezant so that he is K.O. Both switch out.

Starmie vs Charizard
The rain disapers what makes Alain comfortable. Charizard uses Dragon Claw that hits an critical hit, because Starmie isnt fast enoug to dodge and he knocks back. Starmie uses one more rain dance before it was knocked out of an Dragon Claw.

Barraskewda vs. Charizard

The Abbility of Barraskewda is swift swimm, that sees Alain on an super fast Liquidation that hits his Charizard in the open Maw. Alain uses the Mega-Evulition.

Barraskewda vs. Charizard-X
An increadible fast Brraskewda uses Liquidation but Charizard-X dodges and uses Dragon Claw to completly overpower the Barraskewda and One-Hit-KO him.

Blastoise vs. Charizard-X
Siebold lays his trust on the stron Hydro Pump from his Blastoise but Charizard overpowers the Hydro Pump with an Flamethrower of the Master class to crush Blastoise. Blastoise surrives but dont has enough power to move. Siebold uses G-max.

G-max Blastoise vs. Charizard-X
Blastoise uses Max-Wyrmwindwhat lowers Charizards-X Attack but dont make much damage. After that Blastoise uses an G-max Cannonade to erase Alains last hopes. The rain ends and Charizard lays on the ground. G-max Blastoise wins.

Leon vs. Malva

Salazzle vs. Charizard

Charizard is fast enough to evade the Sludge bomb from Salazzle. Charizard tries to use Dragon Claw but Salazzle is way to fast for Charizard and crawls over the ground then it uses Sludge Bomb and finaly hits Charizard that gets poison. Alain switches out.

Salazzle vs. Metagross
It may be unfair but the fast Metagross isnt afraid of the Flame Throwers that only hit the air. Malva sweats, and commands fast an Sludge Wave, Alain wonders as the great wave of poison swept towards Metagross: it hasnt any effect! To late sees Alain that the Wave was only an Hidding for Salazzle that jumps forward out of the wave and attacks with an short but strong Flamethrower. Metagross is K.O. Both switch out.

Oriocorio (Baile) vs. Malamar
Malve tells Alain thats she lerned to dance with her Pokemon in the fight from Tierno. Alain commands an fast Throat Chop but Oricorio turns an pirouette to avoid the attack. The next Throat Chops only hit the ground and Oriocorio evades everything that Malamar sends to her. Alain switches put.

Oriocorio (Baile) vs. Charizard
Alain has noticed that physical moves wont have any effects on the Dancer-Pokemon and uses an Flamethrower that ends in an gigantic fire explosion on Oriocorio. As the Fire dissapers, Oriocorio stands and turns pirouettes. Alain commands Dragon Claw, and Oricorio jumps to the side and uses Air Cutter what hits Charizard in the side. As Oriocorio tries to land, but hits an stone under his feet and twisters her ankle what leaves Charizard with an big advantage and he hits the Dancer-Pokemon with an destructiv Dragon Claw.

Salazzle vs. Malamar
Malamar attacks with an Psycho that brings Salazzle to the last HP. The Overheat from Salazzle hits the suprised Malamar and knocks him out. Salazzle faints after an evil smile. Both switch out.

Charizard vs. Blacephalon
Alain sees that Blacephalon is from Alola. Blacephalon uses an fast and unexpected Dark Puse that Charizard can evade only close. Blacephalon jumps like random and Charizard can't target him. Alain commands an Steel Wing and Blacephalon faints. Malva is defeated.

Last edited:
Ash vs Alain revised again…
Pikachu vs Tyranitar: Pikachu wins
Hawlucha vs Weavile: Weavile is recalled for Unfezant, Ash sends out Noivern
Noivern vs Unfezant: Noivern wins
Talonflame vs Metagross: Metagross is recalled for Charizard, Ash sends out Pikachu
Pikachu vs Charizard: Charizard wins, Ash sends out Greninja
Ash-Greninja vs MCX: Ash-Greninja wins
Talonflame sweeps the rest

I'd re-write the last time Paul showed up in the anime.

He'd use these Pokémon instead of a wannabe champions team: Ursaluna, Torterra and Gliscor. He could have then revealed that he's going to become a Ground Type Gym Leader.
As for Ursaluna, just add the Hisuian evolution items into the main series.

Pikachu vs. Torterra - Torterra wins (first win in about 700 episodes)
Dracovish vs. Torterra - Dracovish wins
Dracovish vs. Gliscor - Double KO
Sirfetch'd vs. Ursaluna - Sirfetch'd wins

I had so much fun at this format so I just rewrite an new battle! Its the battle between Diantha and Leon. Its so many wasted potential. Argh that hurts.

Hawlucha vs. Dragapult
Diantha feels very safe trusting in the speed of her Hawlucha. Leon could say the same thing about himself, so he orders a quick Dragon rush. The two fly through the air and Hawluchha narrowly escapes and then accesses the face-up Pokemon directly with Throat Chop. Dragapult goes down but it's not knocked out yet. Leon commands Dragon Dance and Dragapult begins to glow red, spinning through the air around Hawlucha. Diantha realizes her disadvantage, but it's too late. Dragapult uses Shadow Sneak and defeats the Hawlucha.

Tyrantrum vs. Dragapult
Diantha knows that Delion uses physical attacks. So she waits and builds a trap. Dragapult wants to attack and Tyrantrum uses Rock Tomb on itself so that it buries both Pokemon. There is a big explosion but then Dragapult is defeated.

Tyrantrum vs. Gorillander (i love his japanese name)
When Rillaboom is summoned, it has its eyes closed and seems very focused, suddenly it opens them and rams the drum that was stored on its back into the dusty ground and starts drumming. Now the punk in the middle of the drum was lit up green and flowers and grass were sprouting up everywhere. Diantha orders Firefang but Rillaboom attacks with grassy glide which gives him lime green which he uses to glide over the grass and then koed Tyrantrum.

Aurorus vs. Rillaboom
Aurorus quickly uses Reflect before Rillaboom can attack with a High Horsepower. The weakened attack doesn't even tickle the Pokemon. Leon sees the precarious situation but stays inside. Suddenly, Aurorus uses a Giga Impact and only Rillaboom is able to put the drum between him and Aurorus. Leon noticed that there were snowflakes in the glow from Giga Impact, that had to be Refrigerate. He had to withdraw his Rillaboom.

Aurorus vs. Mr. Rime
.... When the new Pokemon switched in, something strange happened. It danced to the confused Aurorus and rubbed its hand on the Reflect which became less and less visible until it completely disappeared. Diantha ordered iron tail and Aurorus' tail whipped around like a whip and hit poor Mr. Rime. The grass retreated and Delion switched to Charizard. Mr. Rime is not ko.

Aurorus vs. Charizard
Diantha commands Light Screen and Aurorus creates a disk of purple energy that builds up directly in front of it. Charizard3 Poken quickly uses Steelwing and travels Aurorus off the ground. It slips through the dust and can only stand up with difficulty. Now Diantha orders Giga Impact, Leon Flare Blitz. Both meet in mid-air and create a big explosion. Aurorus kneels and falls sideways while Leon's Charizard wobbles just a little.

Diantha shudders because she lost 3 Pokemon and Leon only one!

Goodra vs. Charizard

Leon seems relieved that Goodra can only move on the ground and wants to use Flamethrower. Diantha suddenly unpacks a new strategy. She kept her Goodra Muddy Water, which Charizard only brushes against as it can dodge, but something sticky sticks to it: it had to be Gooey. Diantha says she learned how to mix Goodra's bodily fluids into the attacks. Charizard is suddenly limp because there are threads of slime between his wings and finally falls. It's not KO yet, but Delion switched to Rillaboom, Diantha into Gourgeist.

Gourgeist vs. Rillaboom

After Rillaboom had drummed up the Grassy Tereain again, Diantha ordered her Gourgeist to have Halloween and suddenly dark blue shadows shot out of Gourgeist's stomach and bound around Rillaboom and then faded into a dark aura. Now Diantha ordered Shadow Sneak but Delion acted first with Grassy Glide and propelled Gourgeist abs to the other end of the stadium. Rillaboom quickly wanted to finish it off with Acrobatics, but Gourgeist disappeared with Phantom Force and spun Rillaboom around with a lot of power. But Rillaboom rose again and crushed Gourgeist with Acrobatics. Diantha goes into Goodra

Rillaboom vs. Goodra
You know all how it goes further... The rest was great how it was, I think

Last edited:
Once again, I have come to revive this thread to follow up on my Leon vs Alain rewrite, as I have at long last come up with what I think is a satisfactory Leon vs Diantha battle:

• Dragapult vs Aurorus- Aurorus is forced out with Dragon Tail. Like in her battle against Lance, Diantha opens with Aurorus so that it can set up Dual Screens, which it does successfully after enduring a couple of Dragapults blows (and managing to strike back with a strong Blizzard). However, Leon anticipated this and led with Dragapult for this exact reason, having it send Aurorus back to its Pokeball as soon as Screens are up.
  • Dragapult vs Hawlucha- Dragapult is recalled. Diantha's Hawlucha is the Pokemon forced out into the fight, but it and Dragapult don't get to battle each other at all, as Leon immediately withdraws his pseudo-legendary back into its Pokeball.
  • Mr. Rime vs Hawlucha- Mr. Rime wins. Leon's Mr. Rime is out and it turns out to have Screen Cleaner as its Ability, thus immediately undoing all of Aurorus's work of setting Screens Up as soon as it hits the field. Diantha is shocked by this but refuses to back down, and realizing that she needs to get rid of Mr. Rime right here and now, has Hawlucha fight it with everything it's got. The luchador bird puts up an impressive fight despite a dual type disadvantage, managing to hit Mr. Rime hard with Close Combat and Acrobatics, but its still taken out with a Psychic Terrain+Expanding Force combo.
  • Mr. Rime vs Aurorus- draw. Diantha sends Aurorus back into the fray due to it standing the best chance against Mr. Rime from a typing perspective; she hopes that as soon as Aurorus manages to win it'll have enough strength to be able to set Dual Screens back up. But Mr. Rime proves to be a tricky opponent to hit and is able to land powerful consecutive blows that match Aurorus's raw power. Ultimately the two Pokemon knock each other out after a clash of Rockslide and Psychic Terrain-boosted Expanding Force. The silver lining for Diantha is that although Aurorus didn't manage to stick around long enough to get Screens back up, it did at least manage to make Psychic Terrain run its course.
  • Dragapult vs Tyrantrum- Tyrantrum is forced out with Dragon Tail. Diantha sends out her other Kalos Fossil while Leon sends his pseudo back out for an encore performance. Both Dragon-types go at each other with powerful blows, and at one point Tyrantrum seems to get the upper hand by biting down on Dragapult and seemingly immobilizing it with Crunch, but Dragapult gets out by forcing Tyrantum into its Pokeball.
  • Dragapult vs Gourgeist- Gourgeist is forced out with Dragon Tail. Diantha's Gourgeist is forced out next, and the Kalos Champion is by now just rolling with the constant switches and calls for the ghostly pumpkin to go for a fast strike with Shadow Sneak. Dragapult stikes back with a point-blank Flamethrower followed by another Dragon Tail.
  • Dragapult vs Goodra- Goodra wins. By now Dragapult is quite tired from all the battles it has fought and Goodra is a tank, meaning that Diantha's pseudo is able to take Leon's out and at long last put an end to all its Dragon Tail shenanigans, much to the Kalos Champion's relief.
  • Rillaboom vs Goodra- Rillaboom wins. Leon's infamous gorilla comes out ready to wreck havoc on Diantha's team. Both Rillaboom and Goodra are powerhouses able to dish out and take hits like champs, but what seals Rillaboom's victory over Goodra's is that the former is much more agile, meaning it can land hits more easily, thus ultimately overwhelming Kalos's pseudo.
  • Rillaboom vs Gourgeist- Rillaboom wins. Diantha sends out Gourgeist next hoping to use her Trick-or-Treat combo to take Rillaboom out, but although she does manage to execute it siccessfully it ultimately proves not enough for Gourgeist to take the win, and the poor pumpkin is ultimately defeated by a super-effective combo of Acrobatics and Knock Off.
  • Rillaboom vs Tyrantrum- Tyrantrum wins. Fortunately, even if Gourgeist's combo wasn't enough to defeat Rillaboom outright it did still at least dent it quite heavily, maning Tyrantrum is able to triumph over it with a now-super-effective Crunch. Granted, the T-Rex still doesn't win easily, and Rillaboom damages it very heavily, which leads to...
  • Inteleon vs Tyrantrum- Inteleon wins. Shockingly for Diantha, this battle is over very quickly as Inteleon defeats the exhausted Tyrantrum with a single Ice Beam (though it'd at least be heavily implied that it was a critical hit, and since Leon's Inteleon likely has Sniper as its Ability that'd only make it even more devastating). The Kalos Fossil not even getting a chance to do anything.
  • Inteleon vs Gardevoir- both Pokemon use their respective gimmicks and Gardevoir wins. This is the part of the battle that I feel is gonna be contentious with a lot of people, but hear me out: Gigantamax Rillaboom was used against Alain in both canon and my rewrite versions of his fight against Leon while Gigantamax Cinderace was used against Ash, meaning Inteleon's Gigantamax was the only one left without an appearance, and I decided that it would be cool for it to get it here. I know that this means that Leon's Charizard gets to knock out two Megas in base form and that's not really ideal, but I decided that I wanted Gigantamax Inteleon to get at least some action. Anyway, neither Leon nor Diantha use their gimmicks right at the start, as both their Pokemon are quick and agile and land powerful long-ranged attacks on each other, proving roughly evenly matched. This does result in both Leon and Diantha trying to get the upper hand at the same time by respectively Gigantamaxing Inteleon and Mega Evolving Gardevoir, and at first it seems like all that did was making trying to get the upper hand moot, but Gardevoir proves that she's not a Champion's ace for nothing and ultimately comes out on top by overpowering Inteleon's G-Max Hydrosnipe with a Psychic-powered Thunderbolt that prove enough to knock the Water Starter out.
  • Cinderace vs Mega Gardevoir- Mega Gardevoir wins. Leon sends out Cinderace next, and the rabbit proves an extremely dangerous opponent thanks to Libero and knowing Iron Head, meaning it's able to switch into a type super-effective against Gardevoir's and gives it the upper hand at the start. But Gardevoir and Diantha aren't ones to back down, and their powerful bond gives Gardevoir enough resolve to overcome Cinderace and finally defeat him with a giant Shadow Ball reminiscent of Ash's Lucario's giant Aura Sphere.
  • Charizard vs Mega Gardevoir- Charizard wins. By now Diantha's Gardevoir is quite tired from all her battles, and the Mega Evolution power boost has its limits and can only go so far, and Leon's Charizard is fresh, so ultimately Gardevoir can't pull through. She does at least still put up a great fight and even successfully hits Charizard with a Psychic-empowered Thunderbolt. Leon's Charizard proves how tough he is by enduring it, though (though to be fair, Gardevoir is tired by now so the combo is likely not nearly as powerful as it could've been) and finally knocks Gardevoir out with a Fire Blast.

So, I really felt Dawn Vs. Iris was a missed opportunity largely on Dawn's part. As a Coordinator, I was surprised to see her essentially eschew combinations in favor of just brute force with Mamoswine. I get what the writers were trying to do with the large Pokémon powerhouses, but who is to say you can't have both? Hence my rewrite - while Iris would still win, Dawn would have a much better showing.

Both girls call out their Pokémon, to the roar of applause from the crowd. Dawn starts things off by having Mamoswine ready a large Ice Shard, to Iris' surprise and Dragonite's concern (during this time, the PWT Final Battle music begins to play - or, what would be the anime's rendition of it). Meanwhile, Ash smugly smiles as he anticipates what is coming next to the confusion of his peers. Dawn then has Mamoswine consume the Ice Shard, activiating its signature Ice Armor. Everyone is amazed and shocked, as Dawn unveils Mamoswine's new move - Ice Fang! With a carapace of ice covering most of its body and its already impressive tusks coated with glowing ice, Dawn has Mamoswine complete the combination by charging forward with Take Down. Next is an impressive sight, as the golden energy from Take Down gets absorbed into the ice, giving Mamoswine a most resplendent glow as it charges forward at Dragonite. Iris commands Dragonite to use Flamethrower, noting how it would be super-effective and could break the combination, but Dragonite chooses instead to fly up and crash with Dragon Rush. The moves collide and an explosion results in Mamoswine's favor; Dragonite gets forced back harshly, crashing into the ground.

Dawn, praising Mamoswine, follows up with a second combination (as the DP Gym Leader music plays in homage to her region) - this time, she has Mamoswine conjure an Ancient Power before also consuming the sphere of glowing light. With this, Mamoswine's body glows a transparent white and grayish color (much to Iris' shock). Dawn then commands another Ice Fang, with the swallowed Ancient Power enlarging Mamoswine's tusks of ice considerably. She then commands another Take Down while Iris commands Dragonite to use Ice Beam on the ground, with her plan being to make the charging Mamoswine slip and fall. Ignoring her orders again, Dragonite charges forward with dual Thunder Punches, grabbing both of Mamoswine's tusks with its electrified claws. A tense stand off occurs between the two Pokémon, but Dragonite's sheer strength & determination manages to break the empowered ice on Mamoswine's tusks. Mamoswine proceeds with Take Down, which pushes Dragonite back...but the Dragon Pokémon digs into the ground with its heels and charges back, grabbing the Twin Tusk Pokémon's tusks.

Surprised, Dawn orders Mamoswine to use Ice Shard. Flash freezing chunks of ice, the pellets repeatedly hit Dragonite close range as it cries out in pain (though still grabbing on to Mamoswine's tusks). Iris begs Dragonite to fly away, but the enraged Dragon Pokémon uses a point blank Flamethrower - this blasts away Mamoswine to the other side of the arena...and also leaves it with a burn (as the BW Credits OST starts to play). The crowd is shocked, and commentary occurs from Cilan about how Mamoswine's Attack power will drop in addition to taking the burn damage; Georgia curses Iris' dumb luck while Ash comments on how interesting the battle is getting. Dawn tries to have Mamoswine try its first combination again, but the burn erupts and interrupts it forming its large Ice Shard; Dawn mentally notes that trying to pull off complicated combinations may be too risky with the burn. Changing tactics, Dawn has Mamoswine quickly use Ice Fang and amplify the strike with Take Down. Iris calls for Flamethrower, but a smirking Dragonite flies up and comes down with Dragon Rush. The moves collide, resulting in another explosion that knocks Mamoswine back, while Dragonite only staggers back (unlike before); Mamoswine's burn flares up again as Dragonite confidently smirks on.

Dawn switches to Ancient Power and Iris orders Dragonite to dodge it, but the Dragon Pokémon smashes it aside with Thunder Punch and flies upward again to ignite Dragon Rush. Dawn commands Mamoswine to intercept with Ice Shard, but while the flurry of projectiles strike and visibly injure Dragonite (while also tearing off bits of Dragon Rush), it still crashes into the Twin Tusk Pokémon with a final explosion. When the smoke clears, an exhausted Dragonite remains proudly standing in a triumphant fashion while Mamoswine has been knocked out.

---
Some notes:
  • Again, I wanted Dawn to at least show off two combinations with Mamoswine before resorting to battling "normally" if you will. I think it's also important that such a large and boisterous Pokemon like Mamoswine still be shown off in flattering ways that play to its strengths (I know it's easier to due with smaller or more agile/lithe Pokemon).
  • The burn I think is important for power scaling perspective. Dawn's had, and trained, Mamoswine much longer than Iris has Dragonite. There's also the consideration that Mamoswine had a quad effective advantage over it too, which i know had a lot of criticism regarding its loss. With the burn though, Mamoswine's attack power and advantages are reasonably hindered, giving Dragonite's victory more credit.
  • I really think PWT Final Battle music goes wonderfully with Dawn powering up Mamoswine the first time. Speciifcally, between 0:43 - 0:56 is when I envision the ice armor forming and Dawn following up with Ice Fang, as the announcer energetically describes the process akin to the Contest Battle days of old. 0:57 would it see it charge forward with Take Down.
  • Lastly, I think I was able to showcase Iris' strategies as well as Dragonite's intuition regarding battling; if they both reconciled that on the same page, they could be very strong.

Back
Top Bottom