• The Anime and Manga staff has posted a PSA regarding Go and how we'll handle future cases involving him from now onwards.

We strongly recommend checking out this thread.

Thank you in advance.

Rhydon

Reaction score
I was just watching the episode where the Rhydon loves apples that it got over its fear of water. I thought that rock Pokemon were 'weakened' by water. It's understandable that they would be afraid of it, but I always thought it was more like, since water erodes rock?

Magnanimous
Reaction score
I was just watching the episode where the Rhydon loves apples that it got over its fear of water. I thought that rock Pokemon were 'weakened' by water. It's understandable that they would be afraid of it, but I always thought it was more like, since water erodes rock?
They've touched on that numerous times in the anime. I think it was in Bulbasaur's fairwell ep, we see a Sandshrew or Sandlash (can't remember which) that Bulbasaur had to help out because it couldn't deal with the water.

There's also the "Leave it to Brocko" ep (I think was the one?), in which Sudowoodo got over its fear of water so that it could assist Brock and the little Nuleaf.

Then you have other Pokemon... Like Giselle's Graveller, or AJ's Sandshrew, that seemed to have little trouble with it, because both trained to deal with it.

I suppose it bothers them or scares them, but I don't think it causes any kind of extreme deterioration. I guess we're talking the difference betwen a puddle and a full on water gun or something. If the water's still, I suppose it's not harming much.

Reaction score
Well, in Sudowoodo's case, I think it just forgot about the fact that it was walking in water when it came to Brock's aid.

After all, Rhydon CAN learn Surf legitimately, right? If that's the case, then I suppose a possible explanation could be in its body?

Saxy beast
Reaction score
This is the same species that went down from Thunder. Don't try to make sense of it. :p

But my theory is Pokémon like Rhydon are truly vulnerable to more abrasive forms of water such as Water attacks or storms, but are typically afraid of water in general, regardless of whether or not they're actually in danger. Plus there's always the fact that most Rock types can float just about as easily as they can breathe underwater.

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Well, in Sudowoodo's case, I think it just forgot about the fact that it was walking in water when it came to Brock's aid.

After all, Rhydon CAN learn Surf legitimately, right? If that's the case, then I suppose a possible explanation could be in its body?
Good points.
-----

Also, looking at the post above by Sleet, that actually may be very good reasoning behind it. I don't think they really do get harmed by simply interacting with water. I think it's more of a psychological kind of thing. Don't trust the thing that hurts you. If getting sprayed with a water gun makes them weak, I doubt they'd really wanna go splashing in it, because they just know it as something that damages them, I suppose.

Reaction score
Wasn't there a Rhydon in the tag-battle arc that used Water Pulse or Surf or something? I can't remember exactly.

Reaction score
They need to put a Rhyperior in an episode soon. I think its one of the most ridiculous tacked-on evolutions ever, (next to LickyLicky and Magnezone), but I'd like to see if the anime changes my opinion on its design.

What the hell compelled them to think Rhydon needed an evolution? Seriously...

MEGA F'ING AMPHAROS!!!
Reaction score
They need to put a Rhyperior in an episode soon. I think its one of the most ridiculous tacked-on evolutions ever, (next to LickyLicky and Magnezone), but I'd like to see if the anime changes my opinion on its design.

What the hell compelled them to think Rhydon needed an evolution? Seriously...
If Brock was the "breeder" he used to be, he could have just caught a Rhyhorn (the only rock/ground type in Gen I he had not caught) and evolved it twice into Rhyperior.

Besides, a Rhyperior WAS shown in the movie belonging to Brandon fighting Lucas' Magmortar.

Saxy beast
Reaction score
I let Rhyperior slide because despite its visual and nomenclatural absurdity, it is one heck of an awesome battler.

I would love to see Brock get one, since it would not only make him focused on the Rock type again by making half his team Rock types, but it would also give him a behemoth again.

Reaction score
The rarity of Brock being in any major battles is probably why they don't bother giving him many Pokemon anymore.

The guy has good Pokemon, but we never see them do much.

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
remember the Ash vs Blaine: Gym Battle for the Volcano Badge?
Remeber how Pikachu defeted It?
What if not Rhydons typing was important but the Volcano itself?
What if in the volcano was harsh sunlight due to the Volcano ( sunlight) and Ninetails (ability Drought) (together : double sunlight, could activate harsh sunlight in future games)?

Could harsh sunlight took away Rhydons immunity and replace it with resistance to the electric attack, or do normal damage?

We have this weather condition only one generation, but this could be implemented and would solve the problem between the anime and game.

Last edited: