• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Riding Pokemon (Poke Ride) in Sun/Moon!

DoctorWhy

Long Lost Member
Reaction score
How do you feel about the Poke Ride feature in Sun and Moon? Do you love it, dislike it? Any predictions or hopes for Pokemon to ride? Ways you think it could be improved, or aspects of Pokeriding you hope are implemented?

Pokemon Sun/Moon official site:
The land, the sea, the sky—with the power of Pokémon, you can go anywhere!

One aspect of the culture in the Alola region is something known as Poké Ride, in which certain Pokémon help people get to places they wouldn’t be able to reach by using human strength alone. These Pokémon don’t join your team, but you can call on them anytime to receive their help. This practice is typical of the way of life in Alola, where humans and Pokémon are so closely bound together.

Pics:
SM_Prerelease_Pok%C3%A9_Ride_Stoutland.png
800px-SM_Prerelease_Pok%C3%A9_Ride_Lapras.png
SM_Prerelease_Pok%C3%A9_Ride_Sharpedo.png
SM_Prerelease_Pok%C3%A9_Ride_Charizard.png
SM_Prerelease_Pok%C3%A9_Ride_Mudsdale.png

Personally, I'm just really disappointed that we can't ride our own Pokémon (apparently). Don't get me wrong, riding Pokemon is awesome, and the rented/borrowed ones are better than nothing! But I'd really prefer to ride my own Pokemon that I raised. I hope the variety of Pokemon to ride is quite large, maybe 5-10 options at least for each type of riding (Soaring, Surfing, Land riding, etc.). And I still hope there's a chance that at least SOME of our own Pokemon to ride. It doesn't seem completely clear yet whether they're all definitely rental or not.

EDIT: After reading the text again, and hearing a couple comments, it does seem like it'll likely be just rentals. And it's understandable why, due to the bigger number of animations they would have to create if everyone could use their own Pokemon. Though I hope HMs are just optional, rather than gone.

Last edited:
I look at it and impressed that they seem to have actually realized that Soaring was very popular, convenient, and worth retaining. And not only did they retain it, but they then blew it up to cover other HMs (which people were sick of, although I personally was fine with how they had been handled in BW and XY, but hey, free move slot), and then fused it with the Riding Pokémon concept, and then tied it into the culture of the region. So all in all I think it's an unusually brilliant expansion of what was already a good feature.

I do like riding on pokemon. I definitely want to ride on Charizard. Riding on Charizard is really awesome! Maybe the mascots could be rideable?

I look at it and impressed that they seem to have actually realized that Soaring was very popular, convenient, and worth retaining. And not only did they retain it, but they then blew it up to cover other HMs (which people were sick of, although I personally was fine with how they had been handled in BW and XY, but hey, free move slot), and then fused it with the Riding Pokémon concept, and then tied it into the culture of the region. So all in all I think it's an unusually brilliant expansion of what was already a good feature.
Do we have any comfirmation that the charizard is soaring tough? It can be using fly with a different animation for all we know.

Do we have any comfirmation that the charizard is soaring tough? It can be using fly with a different animation for all we know.
Sure. But custom models jist for fly, and that protective gear and saddle just for fly? I know its on every Pokemon as some sort of in game OSHA requirement, but its a bummer if that's the case. And anyway, soaring was met with huge applaud, gamefreak knows what they were some ng with that trailer and showing Charizard.

Anyway, I was suggesting this for ages, riding Pokemon replacing HMs andnhaving animber ofnother features. But this exceeds ky expectations. No need to fill up a move slot, let alone a party member is a huge relief. I want to know how unlocking works and if its in tiers by tje nimber of islands or trials you complete. More so, its nifty that they created a new ball and an entire transfer item for the Ride Pokemon, bit a bit excessive to give em protective gearm Osha compliances haven't been ket for decades, why start now. :p
I wonder what different abilitis exist in game besides rocky terrain, rock smashing and sniffing out items. So far some ideas I have had:
Instead of strength puzzles, you have to jump over the holes. Laternpizzles might have multiple jumps forcing you one way like the tiles, or lerhapsnare higher up that makenyou restart the puzzle.
Underwater Flash caves, and flash working entirely different. Instead of a brigjt light, the light emitting from your Pokemon is like a flashlight. For underwater for example, since specific pokemon are used, this would be done with a Lanturn.
Underwater currents. With a fast enough Pokemon, instead of currents on the surface you find currents on the sea bed. This would block off passage to an area, or maybe not.
Back to jumping, perhaps something like rock climb can be done with a Gogoat, were to access a mountain you need to scale it from the outside, or through a narrow pass.

Gonna do some thinking, cajse this coild have major potential.

Last edited:
Sure. But custom models jist for fly
They've made a special animation for Blastoise's hydro pump. What's wrong with having a special animation for fly exactly?
and that protective gear and saddle just for fly?
Thre was no protective gear for soaring in ORAS. Your point?
And anyway, soaring was met with huge applaud,
Don't speak for everybody. There are a lot of people who didn't like soaring.

Saying that it was met with huge applause isn't "speaking for everybody."
Ok, maybe "don't speak for everybody" was a too literal interpretation, but i've honestly seen more negative reception to soaring than positive.

I'm not saying it shouldn't return for the people who do like it, but i'm just saying that it wasn't that well received(from what i've seen at least).

Last edited:
I kinda hope I can ride certain pokemon I own and not have it be solely a 'rent and ride' kind of system.

Though I am squealing over the Charizard. It's been my childhood fantasy of riding on the back of a Charizard since I was little. It's why I tend to always say I'd pick Charmander if pokemon were real. So being able to have my character visibly ride on a Charizard's back is going to thrill me to no end.

If this means I don't have to lug around a HM slave then I'm all for it really. It's annoying having to have one spot on the team saved for it and then when I get my team of six having to keep swapping out one at points where I need the HMs.

Not too excited about any of the current riding options though. Stoutland might be fun and Sharpedo has cool movement, but the others are rather meh for me.

I hope it means actual soaring, like in ORAS. If that's just a fly animation I'll be a bit disappointed.

I think no more riding Pokemon will feature in the game, I think those are all there are.

I wonder about Charizard, though... All the rideble ones were shown in action in the overworl, except Charizard, he was only shown in a cutscene, but never in action. Does this mean he is just like HM02 and not Saoring?

the games got alot better thanks to generation 6 , 3D and the work of the creators, ,many, many thansk from Us the fans.

Nah, I highly doubt they've already shown them all. There's probably gonna be more. Seems pretty limited right now. I bet there's several more, maybe even another dozen options.

Riding is replacing HMs. So they are only going to have as many Riding Pokemon as HM actions are needed. We already have most covered, if not all.

Riding is replacing HMs. So they are only going to have as many Riding Pokemon as HM actions are needed. We already have most covered, if not all.
I don't think this has been confirmed? Only speculated. Plus, we already have confirmation of at least two surfers (Sharpedo and Lapras) and three land riders (Stoutland, Tauros, Mudsdale) so the idea that there's only one for each type of purpose is simply wrong. We've got confirmation of different Pokemon to ride for every job, and there's been no confirmation of HM removal. Plus it would make a lot of sense to go ahead and bring over some of the riding Pokemon from XY. We haven't seen it all yet.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom