• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Riding Pokemon

Or Bastiodon for Strength, that could work too. And unlike Rhydon it's in the Alola dex

But tbh, I'd prefer if they'd just let us use our own Pokemon as Ride Pokemon. I don't like having to depend on a stranger's pokemon to get around, it feels weird

Instead of being cradled by the Machamp, I would prefer having a piggyback ride on it because Wynaut?

And other than that, I would not remove any of the ride Pokémon, nor add more. I still like them all. :)

which for the headache they are at times, i'll take HMs being in a more prominent spot again. HMs being diminished and later outright removed has been a big reason that exploration can feel stifled.
But what about the whole "HMs take up a move slot" thing?

Ideally, the best option would be a choice between field moves and some other mechanic like Ride Pokémon, but we all know GF won't do that.

But what about the whole "HMs take up a move slot" thing?

Ideally, the best option would be a choice between field moves and some other mechanic like Ride Pokémon, but we all know GF won't do that.
i mean, i've never been bothered by them taking up a move nor have i found any argument about why i should be concerned about them doing so all that persuasive either, so i'm pretty indifferent about it.

i suppose the reality is that whichever method they go with they need to be willing to use nature. my biggest complaint with Ride Pokemon is that despite them being readily accessible, Game Freak seemed unwilling to actually use them. for all that people hate about them, they fail to see that HMs (or i guess nature) were responsible for the more organic feeling of exploration in older regions.

i mean, i've never been bothered by them taking up a move nor have i found any argument about why i should be concerned about them doing so all that persuasive either, so i'm pretty indifferent about it.

To each their own, I suppose.

i suppose the reality is that whichever method they go with they need to be willing to use nature. my biggest complaint with Ride Pokemon is that despite them being readily accessible, Game Freak seemed unwilling to actually use them. for all that people hate about them, they fail to see that HMs (or i guess nature) were responsible for the more organic feeling of exploration in older regions.

I'm going to assume you mean in terms of Game Freak's current tendency to use random NPCs as road blocks instead of natural obstacles needing certain Pokémon to get around said obstacle, correct? I don't think this has to do with the lack of HMs. The NPC roadblock thing has been getting more prominent since BW, which still had HMs. I think that's more of a Game Freak problem right now. However, I can see where you're coming from in that regard, and I agree that using objects to block progress rather than random NPCs definitely makes the games feel more organic.

I'm going to assume you mean in terms of Game Freak's current tendency to use random NPCs as road blocks instead of natural obstacles needing certain Pokémon to get around said obstacle, correct? I don't think this has to do with the lack of HMs. The NPC roadblock thing has been getting more prominent since BW, which still had HMs. I think that's more of a Game Freak problem right now. However, I can see where you're coming from in that regard, and I agree that using objects to block progress rather than random NPCs definitely makes the games feel more organic.
right.

but just because HMs are present doesn't mean they are treated the same. it doesn't seem to be a coincidence at all that since BW HMs have been pared down in both usage and quantity and ~mysteriously~ NPC blockades (even nonsensical ones like the dancing men in BW2 (regardless of whether that's a tongue-in-cheek reference to the practice of NPC blockades)) went up. to just clear the storylines in Unova and Kalos you don't need more than a couple of HMs used once or twice!

you can even look at accessing the Pokemon Leagues. since its introduction, Waterfall has been the final HM usable (one exception in HGSS, iirc). in Gens 2-4, to reach the Pokemon League you need to use Waterfall. Unova and Kalos? there's a badge check.....but you can't even reach the badge checks without being fully pass them (as opposed to Kanto's badge check): the way Unova is set-up it's impossible to reach Victory Road without being ready to clear it and with Kalos an attendant blocks you unless you have all badges.

it seems very clear that Game Freak has responded to HM complaints (see Ride Pokemon as well). HMs don't have to exist, but there has to be natural obstacles that can be cleared in a similar fashion (HMs, field moves, ride pokemon, 'equips,' whatever) readily used.

Since we are returning to Alola in Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, we can assume have the return of PokeRide. Do you think we'll see any changes? Perhaps an expansion on the number of PokeRide options, or simply changes in what the slots are filled with? What do you wanna see?

Personally, I'd kinda like Charizard to be replaced. I was fine with it for SM, but it does seem a bit odd considering Charizard isn't even native to or available in Alola.

I would also love to be able to use my own Pokemon rather than rentals, as I always hoped for. But I see this change being highly unlikely.

Thoughts?

Since we are returning to Alola in Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, we can assume have the return of PokeRide. Do you think we'll see any changes? Perhaps an expansion on the number of PokeRide options, or simply changes in what the slots are filled with? What do you wanna see?

Personally, I'd kinda like Charizard to be replaced. I was fine with it for SM, but it does seem a bit odd considering Charizard isn't even native to or available in Alola.

I would also love to be able to use my own Pokemon rather than rentals, as I always hoped for. But I see this change being highly unlikely.

Thoughts?
In the anime they use Wailmer and Pelliper as ride Pokemon. Perhaps they substitute those as ride pokemon in USUM.

Thoughts?
I really hope that "you can ride almost any Pokemon" from the Sun Moon Chinese leaks would become a reality.

Merged "Pokeride Ultra" thread with this one, as we already had a thread about riding Pokémon changes in US/UM ;)

Apologies, I didn't see the thread lol. I thought I checked the whole first page XD

I expect the riding pokemon to be the same as SM.

Sorry for the bump. But with Mantine possibly being a new Ride Pokémon, it seem warranted.

I'm thinking that Mantine will be a new racing minigame where you have to Bounce over obstacles.
I'm hoping for Dive, but Mantine can't learn Dive in the current generation.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom