• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Riko is really the protagonist?

Ash got the Kanto Starters, but that didn't stop them from having him go for as long as he did.
That comparison doesn't work though. Ash's first Pokemon was Pikachu, which wasn't a Kanto starter, at least not at the time when the anime began. Sure, he caught the other Kanto starters, but he was still more heavily associated with Pikachu partly because it was his first Pokemon. If Riko gets Sprigatito, that does tie her much more to the current generation. If Ash's first Pokemon was Squirtle instead, then this comparison would a bit more fitting, but it wasn't. It also doesn't work because the writers were willing to replace Ash's Kanto starters in the same series for the Johto starters, something they would not be willing to do with a character's first Pokemon. Things are also a lot different for the anime and the franchise as a whole now than they were when the anime first began.

This is like comparing apples with oranges. Just because Ash stuck around for decades after capturing the Kanto starters doesn't mean that they'll do the same thing with Riko. I think it would make the decision to replace Ash even more questionable. Why bother replacing your iconic lead for another protagonist if they want to keep the new lead around for decades too? Wouldn't that just lead to them having the same kind of problems people had with Ash as the protagonist? I can't say that it's impossible, but I don't really see them keeping Riko for more than this generation if her first Pokemon is one of the Paldea starters. Goh's first Pokemon was Scorbunny and that still tied him to the eighth generation enough to where they didn't keep around even when people kept arguing that he could be a permanent part of the cast. Riko getting Sprigatito for example would tie her into this generation just as much as getting Scorbunny did for Goh.

only for the Paldea region because sprigatito, for the next gen i gues their make a new character.

We don't know that Sprigatito will be the new Pikachu. She might leave it behind.

Of course she is. But the question is will she be well-received by Ash's fans and will she be well-written? If fans get too mad about Ash and Pikachu being replaced and try to bring them back she might end up like Chloe.

If Riko sticks around for multiple series, Sprigatito will likely not be the sole walking Pokemon/plushie promoter, but i think we're entering a new era of Pokemon, where characters will change each generation.

That is, unless Riko suddenly gains a huge following which makes the writers hesitate replacing her for 25 years.

I am actually curious with what the writers can do with Riko and Roy in the new series. They certainly have a tough road ahead of them, for these two characters replace one of my most loved anime characters across the world. That being said, I am really excited to see how the story of Riko and Roy ultimately pans out. Further, I would really love to see Riko (and Roy) stay even after Generation 9, so that we see her (their) world build across multiple series, as we saw with Ash.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom