• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

RIP Bandai Entertainment (1998-2012)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joshawott

The Possibly Fake
Reaction score
As soon as the clock hit 00:00 on 1st January, I turned to Mum and said I had a bad feeling about this year. Well, AnimeNewsNetwork have unfortunately been unable to prove me wrong.

Bandai Entertainment the subsidiary of Namco Bandai Holdings (USA) that handles anime and manga in the United States will stop releasing new anime DVDs, Blu-Ray and manga as of next month. The company will still distribute its current catalogue until their licenses expire, but will not produce or distribute any new releases - the company will instead focus on licensing rights to other companies.

AnimeNewsNetwork will publish a full interview with Ken Iyadomi, Bandai Entertainment's President and CEO tomorrow. As for now, here is a list of cancelled titles:

Anime:
Gosick
Nichijō
Turn A Gundam

Manga:
Code Geass: Renya (Code Geass: Shikkoku no Renya)
Gurren Lagann volume 7
Kannagi volumes 4-6
Lucky Star Boo Boo Kagaboo (spinoff by Eretto)
Mobile Suit Gundam 00I
Tales of the Abyss: Jade's Secret Memories volumes 1 and 2

Some of Bandai Entertainments more well known releases included the Haruhi Suzumiya franchise, the Mobile Suit Gundam metaseries, Cowboy Bebop, K-ON!, Lucky Star and Tenga Toppa Gurren Lagann/

Uh oh. This is a large danger for Bandai's other things, these guys are on a cancelation roll.

Uh oh. This is a large danger for Bandai's other things, these guys are on a cancelation roll.
Yeah. They're on a "Cancel every new release and only sell our back catalogue until we can sell those licenses on or they expire" roll. In other words, they're dead.

I haven't really followed the anime scene for awhile, but this awful news. I grew up on so many of their anime and really cherish the Cowboy Bebop dub.

RIP

First ADV, then Tokyopop, now BANDAI!? Only Funimation and Viz Media (and 4Kids) are left now (unless I missed one). Anime is becoming an endangered species outside of Japan with all these anime companies shutting down...

Great, now who's going to dub the latest Gundam shows now?

First ADV, then Tokyopop, now BANDAI!? Only Funimation and Viz Media (and 4Kids) are left now (unless I missed one). Anime is becoming an endangered species outside of Japan with all these anime companies shutting down...

Well, there's YenPress. But they don't release anime..... Not to my knowledge.

I'm glad my sister has the Code Geass manga.... Since, you know, they aren't going to be around unless someone takes the license for it. Which is what I'm waiting for with Fruits Basket(Damn TokyoPop, hanging onto it for dear life....)

;__________; I remember Bandai being in charge of Power Ranger stuff, which was my first obsession when I was younger. May it RIP.

Isn't 4Kids bankrupt too?
Because if not, the only good thing about the recession is gone for me.

They're operating under Chapter 11 bankruptcy. Which allows them to stay afloat for a little while longer and continue working like nothing has happened. If it was Chapter 7, that's where they would have to try to sell and liquidate everything.

But the news about Bandai going under sucks. I guess that means I should try to swipe up any Bandai anime while I can.

This is pretty bad. So much for getting re-releases of older Bandai series. :( I've been holding out hoping for a re-release of the Ronin Warriors boxset for over 10 years now.

They are,thing is though that they won their court case,I think on account of the other side being too rude and aggressive

So they are in the clear for that. But that doesn't exactly mean they are out of the woods yet

Just an update: Namco Bandai have also done the same to European distributor Beez Entertainment. Meaning that now the UK market is split between MangaUK, MVM and the new KazeUK.

There's still Media Blasters, Sentai Filmworks, AniplexUSA and NIS America iirc.

Sucks so many people are going to miss out on Turn A Gundam.

I just watched the series myself this month, and it's probably the most unique take on the franchise and overall a pretty unique anime with nice animation, a folk-inspired OST, and great characters and mech designs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom