• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

RIP Pokémon Menu Sprites

Do you like the new Pokémon images over sprites?

• They look awful

Votes: 10 47.6%
  • A vast improvement

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Could have been implemented better

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • I don't really care

Votes: 5 23.8%

• Total voters

Blob

Reaction score
For some reason GF went the BDSP route and replaced Pokémon sprites with stock Home-like artwork, with reduced colours and a thick outline. The artwork is also really big compared to the size of the sprites. I wonder if they're going to get rid of all sprites, or just Pokémon ones. Either way it looks weird comparing giant Pokémon pictures to small item sprites.

Bulbapedia is also going to look messy having a mix of Gen 5-8 sprites, the giant Gen 9 artwork and LA icons in the list of Pokémon. Consistent image formatting really is almost non-existent when it comes to Pokémon.

What do you all think of the change? Is it for the best, the worst or do you just not care?

I dislike losing the menu sprites.

If only because this now means that all the old pokemon are going to need replacements when they hadn't even replaced all of them when they started making bigger menu sprites. Otherwise the bulbapedia list of pokemon is going to continue to look really weird in a way that drives my asperger brain insane.

The menu sprites were so cute and fun why do they gotta take the last sprite fun out of the games. ):

I'm going to miss the last bit of sprite work. It's truly an end of an era.

But at the same time, looking at the new Pokémon menu screenshot thats been floating around, they do look similar to the Dream World art, not Home. So there's a possibility the new full pokedex lists won't look that out of place since all Pokémon have Dream World art.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom