• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Rival Showdown! Who's your favorite rival?

Who's your favorite rival and/or rivals?

• Blue

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • Silver

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • Brendan/May

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • Barry

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • Cheren

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • Bianca

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • Hugh

Votes: 10 24.4%
  • Calem/Serena

Votes: 2 4.9%

• Total voters
I didn't put Wally on the poll because you only battle him twice in the game while you battle Brendan/May 4 times. But even then I probably should have included him since you battle him in Victory Road.

He just didn't feel much like a rival since you didn't encounter him often, but he does become a much more confident trainer, and his Gardevoir almost swept my team in Emerald.

Last edited:
Bianca and Cheren: What really add to them are their interactions with each other and other people. Silver in HGSS had a bit of that with Lance and Clair, as with Calem and Serena with Team Flare, but Bianca really brought that out with her dad, Elesa, and a number of other NPCs. Cheren did the same thing with Alder, Marshall, and Hugh in BW2, and other NPCs as well.

Hugh is a close second, but his "I am going to unleash my rage!" lines/attitude kind of detracts from his character.

What makes Blue age poorly is pretty much the lack of the above: for starters, he should really have had a word of argument against Daisy Oak in FRLG/HGSS, perhaps.

I don't really have a favorite, so I guess I'll just state my opinions on each one.

Blue:

It's really cool how he is always one step ahead of you, and manages to be cocky even after you beat him. Plus, he even becomes the champion, which is the most any rival has ever accomplished. And even after he loses his position as champion, he manages to become a gym leader. Talk about strong. Overall, he fits the rival role really nicely. He is just what you'd expect a rival to be.

Silver:

Silver is very different from the other rivals because he is actually evil, and being different is always cool. I also like how he actually undergoes some character development at the end of the games, learning to care about and treat his Pokémon well.

Brendan/May:

They were the first ever friendly rivals in the series, so onge again, it is nice to have something different. They don't have too complex of a personality or anything but that's nice. Plus, May has a crush on the player in ORAS, and that's really darn cute. :3

Wally:

Wally is amazing. He starts as a sick, weak boy, and then manages to become one of the most epic trainers ever near the end. Plus, his theme song in ORAS is just plain awesomeness. I know that's not really part of his personality, but it's so amazing that I couldn't help but mention it.

Barry:

Pretty cool I guess. he doesn't really make me go "Wow so awesome" but it's cool to have a balance between the super-friendly type and the competitive type.

Cheren:

Once again, he doesn't make really make me go "wow", but it's nice to have another different rival "type", in this case, the nerd one. And he does manage to become gym leader, which is pretty cool.

Bianca:

Her clumsy personality is pretty fun. I like how she admits she's not that strong instead of being cocky like Blue. Pretty likeable character overall.

Hugh:

He's preetty interesting. He's not a "I hate you-type" rival, but not the "I love-you type" either. He's always there to help you (or be helped by you), and that's cool.

Calem/Serena:

Not that exciting IMO. They are like Brendan/May, but with plain personalities and - most important - without a crush on the player, so I don't really like them. Sorry, Calem/Serena fans.

Shauna:

The fact that she just follows you for no reason at all and doesn't even have a clear goal may be weird for some, but I like her. She is pretty fun. And cute.

Tierno:

He's goofy, which is cool. His goal to create a Pokémon dancing team or whatever seems a bit forced though.

Trevor:

Even thought competing the Pokédex is a big part of the Pokémon games, we've never had a character that truly focuses on doing it. Until Trevor, that is. The fact that he has a goal (and one that makes sense as well) makes him the best XY rival in my opinion, even if his personality is a little cliché.

Probably Cheren and Hugh, because other than ORAS!Wally, they get more character development out of all the other rivals.

Blue. Rivals should actually feel like a rival, not just some friend of yours. I remember back in Red, seeing his name on all the gym statues, then running into him where he gives another arrogant remark. I always had the biggest pleasure stomping him :D

Also, smell ya later.

They don't need to be a jerk to you to be your rival, they just need to be competitive, blue is just an arrogent brat who thinks he's betetr then you (even though despite being my first pokemon game i never lost to him once in fire red not even in the tutorial battle) Look at guy and kakashi from naruto they're rivals, is guy a jerk to kakashi, is kakashi a jerk to guy? No they are rivals that compete against each other same can work with naruto and sasuke towards mid part 1.

The character who fits being our rival is barry he's not a jerk he's competitive and his teams really good.

blue does however have a great role in his story which i guess can redeem him from being horrible, as a first rival he was good for the time but he felt more like a bully you had to beat. Sliver felt like he wanted to be the strongest you kept getting in his way so he kinda felt like a rival but He's never really acknowledged you as his rival.

Silver is my favorite. There is actual development as you travel over both regions.

Silver. I felt like you actually HAD to stop him, not just battle him for pointless "hey, why don't we battle" reasons. Silver used his Pokemon and abused them. Plus his ties to Team Rocket makes his redemption at the end so much better.

I don't really have a favorite, so I guess I'll just state my opinions on each one.

Trevor:

Even thought competing the Pokédex is a big part of the Pokémon games, we've never had a character that truly focuses on doing it. Until Trevor, that is. The fact that he has a goal (and one that makes sense as well) makes him the best XY rival in my opinion, even if his personality is a little cliché.

This is due to the flashy new design, and everyone knows kids like flashy new designs.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom