• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Rival Speculation

I don't really care about the rival being a jerk, anymore. I already accepted that at best we're going to get someone like Barry/Hau and at worst we're going to get someone akin to the 3 rivals of XY which I don't want. As long as the rival is at least interesting, that's all that really matters to me.

I could accept a jerk rival as long as he/she is not like Blue. In case we get a nice rival, don't make them like Calem/Serena. They were almost guilt-tripping you every time you beat them.

If they're British, they have a free pass right there to give us a jerky rival!

But I mean, IDK, I'm fine with anything I guess. Just don't make them too nice. At least make me want to have a desire to beat them~ Don't give me another Shauna or Bianca or Hugh~

I also like seeing the other Player Character show up, so even if they aren't the "rival", I'd still like to see them~

If they're British, they have a free pass right there to give us a jerky rival!

But I mean, IDK, I'm fine with anything I guess. Just don't make them too nice. At least make me want to have a desire to beat them~ Don't give me another Shauna or Bianca or Hugh~

I also like seeing the other Player Character show up, so even if they aren't the "rival", I'd still like to see them~
Hugh is nice? I mean, he is nice to the player, but to everyone else...

I hope the rival gets a lucario, talonflame, aegislash and fully evolved kalos and galar starter

Yeah, this is not gonna happen, clearly. If we go off Hau, the Rival will have at least 4 regional mons.
Maybe after league? Would at least be interesting if vilian team would have those.

In my opinion, I hope for a rival that's I guess you could say a "fusion" of Cheren, Hugh, and Gladion. By that I mean he/she are eager to compete, generally are lukewarm/indifferent toward you (at least at the start), generally don't take defeat well (again, at the start) only to start seeing you as a worthy opponent over time, and, if the chips are down and a bigger threat is in play, can pull off a back-to-back badass Tag Battle. Basically someone that can push you to become better, make you want to battle him/her, as well as get some decent character development over time. Jerk rivals are a thing of the past, and quite frankly, they can stay there, as they tend to be over-the-top, annoying, and oftentimes hypocritical. Plus they tend to get glorified by the fanbase like they're Arceus' gift to the world (I'm lookin' a you, Blue!!!). While I don't mind "friendly" rivals, it gets a bit creepy when they are almost worshiping the ground you walk on or are overly eager, as well as not provide an actual challenge. So, while I don't mind friendly rivals, like Barry and Bianca, and I feel the jerk rival troupe needs to stay buried in the past, I feel they should instead create a midway point between the two. That's my two cents.

In my opinion, I hope for a rival that's I guess you could say a "fusion" of Cheren, Hugh, and Gladion. By that I mean he/she are eager to compete, generally are lukewarm/indifferent toward you (at least at the start), generally don't take defeat well (again, at the start) only to start seeing you as a worthy opponent over time, and, if the chips are down and a bigger threat is in play, can pull off a back-to-back badass Tag Battle. Basically someone that can push you to become better, make you want to battle him/her, as well as get some decent character development over time. Jerk rivals are a thing of the past, and quite frankly, they can stay there, as they tend to be over-the-top, annoying, and oftentimes hypocritical. Plus they tend to get glorified by the fanbase like they're Arceus' gift to the world (I'm lookin' a you, Blue!!!). While I don't mind "friendly" rivals, it gets a bit creepy when they are almost worshiping the ground you walk on or are overly eager, as well as not provide an actual challenge. So, while I don't mind friendly rivals, like Barry and Bianca, and I feel the jerk rival troupe needs to stay buried in the past, I feel they should instead create a midway point between the two. That's my two cents.
Thank you! Specially since I feel that people only like Blue because he was strong, I mean, he doesn't have anything else.

The jerk rivals were horrible because they were mean with no character development. Characters like Cheren, Gladion, and Hugh were pretty cool because they had a different personality while also still pretty much being on your side, which I really enjoyed.

I love the friendly rivals, too, but I do agree that they also need to be developed and have a role in the plot. I actually really loved Bianca because of how she developed in a very nonstandard way for the series at the time. She didn't know what she wanted to do with her Pokemon and her life, got a bit discouraged at losing to you, but ultimately kind of wasn't bothered by it due to everything else going on in her life, and you saw her experiment with career paths and helping others until she finally settled into a role as a professor's aide in BW2. That was amazing because it really showed that battling isn't everything, and that it's OK to want to just love and study pokemon. Lillie was struggling with parental abuse and wanted to gather up the courage to face her mother and tell her how horrible she made her feel, which I STRONGLY related to. Hugh and Gladion wanted to help their families and their Pokemon that got hurt by the evil team. They all have points of relation and realistic human behavior. Being either flat positive or flat negative just isn't interesting.

IIRC, they did make the rival in LGPE have a bit more interaction with the plot, and I liked him just fine.

I wouldn't mind having a neutral rival, or one who's lazy, impatient, scared, quick to jump to conclusions, gullible, greedy, tries too hard to be cool and tough but is actually a goof, or anything that isn't just flat "nice" or flat "jerk". Just give them a more complex personality and more than one emotion, and have them have something to do in the plot. It's also OK for them to choose the starter strong against you again, GF. Not a dealbreaker, but feel free to go ahead and do it.

No, he's an asshole, precisely why I don't want to see another one of him~
Also, he's only focused on Purrloin. He even disappears from the story almost immediately he gets it. And he yelled at the nice couple who were only asking if he has seen their Herdier...

Okay, he can leave.forever.

The jerk rivals were horrible because they were mean with no character development.

Silver received good character development, and was one of the first major characters in the series to do so while being the most unpleasant rival by far. I can understand what you mean by liking more "human" characters or rivals if that makes sense, but those as well as the "friendlies" outnumber the dicks.

Gen 8 should just introduce Poke'verse Draco Malfoy, while having the opposite gender serve as a semi-friendly competitive rival.

after watching gamexplain's map analysis, I do think it's quite likely that your rival will be a rich kid.

A jerk could work this time, or least something like having them start out as a jerk then develop and become friendlier as the game goes on

Kinda like Gladion?

kind of. I'm hazy on s/m's story but I remember a lot of his coldness having to do with internal family issues. maybe this time there could be themes of social class division, where the rival looks down on the player character for not being as wealthy, then comes to realize that money isn't everything

kind of. I'm hazy on s/m's story but I remember a lot of his coldness having to do with internal family issues. maybe this time there could be themes of social class division, where the rival looks down on the player character for not being as wealthy, then comes to realize that money isn't everything
Yes, Gladion was like that for being in a pretty screwed up family thanks to Nihilego's poison (SM)/Mohn's disappearance (USUM). He also seems to regret not taking Lillie with him, but seeing how he knows she has Cosmog, it makes me think that maybe, just maybe, he was taking care of her from afar.

I think that they should something new. The rival should a girl ojousama that call you a pleb and that she is much better than you (so in that way we can have another Gary Rival). Also we should have a friendly rival that would be the other sex MC, but in this case he/she will be your actual brother/sister in the game and also live in your house and the house will have 2 or 3 rooms (3 in the case they made a room for the mother).

Back
Top Bottom