• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Rival Speculation

Maybe he gets hopping mad when he loses? Heh. hears crickets Ahem... either way, even with name themes, I do sense possible parental favoritism for Leon over Hop, judging by their names (though it's more original than the names on my dad's side of the family). Well, it's better than being called Moo (as in Monster Rancher Moo, though I do know it was a lost in translation issue, but still, it's not the most intimidating sounding name, either).

Jokes aside, I do get some positive vibes from him. And by that I mean Barry-like vibes. Meaning that I feel he'll take training and competing seriously, will still be friendly enough to you without heading into diabetic levels of sweetness, and could very well get positive character development, perhaps due to certain in-game events, just like Barry did. So, while his name leaves a LOT do be desired, if he ends up like Barry, then I'll be satisfied enough to accept him.

Maybe he gets hopping mad when he loses? Heh. hears crickets Ahem... either way, even with name themes, I do sense possible parental favoritism for Leon over Hop, judging by their names (though it's more original than the names on my dad's side of the family). Well, it's better than being called Moo (as in Monster Rancher Moo, though I do know it was a lost in translation issue, but still, it's not the most intimidating sounding name, either).

Jokes aside, I do get some positive vibes from him. And by that I mean Barry-like vibes. Meaning that I feel he'll take training and competing seriously, will still be friendly enough to you without heading into diabetic levels of sweetness, and could very well get positive character development, perhaps due to certain in-game events, just like Barry did. So, while his name leaves a LOT do be desired, if he ends up like Barry, then I'll be satisfied enough to accept him.
Barry was te most annoying, though his I’ll fine you stuff and rushing stuff aside I know what you mean.

I think Hop looks like he could be. A bit cocky, but not overly. And the trailer makes it seem like the other pc is a rival as well.

I would like another rival like N. It would be nice if Hop or some char we haven’t seen is in that grey area.

based on the art, I'm already prepping for Hop going through a bad guy arc.

Hop looks like a character I'll like. He give me Barry-vibes. I imagine he'll be friendly like most rivals have been, but pretty competitive due to wanting to be as strong as his brother.

Well, we now know who the other rivals are. At it looks like people just might get their jerk rival after all, as Bede doesn't look too pleasant. Unless, of course, they go the Cheren/Hugh route with him, but something tells me we're getting Blue 2.0 this time around. As for Marnie, she looks like the middle-of-the-road type from what we've seen. She doesn't seem high-and-mighty but also seems competitive enough to be a potential challenge. So... that means we have a total of three rivals so far. As long as they actually give them some decent character development and flesh out their teams, then it won't feel like a repeat of XY's one-dimensional rivals like Trevor, which will be welcoming.

Marnie's surprisingly somber in terms of appearance, and Bede looks a little...off. There's just something outright sinister about him, and I'm not saying in a good way like with allistar. He's definetly connected to team Yell and may have some kind of past connection to Marnie (possibly the vengeful ex-childhood friend of hers that made team yell just to spite her that I've theorized about).

I like how they're introducing so many rivals. It's like XY improved.

One thing I noticed about Bede. I think he's wearing his gym uniform under his coat. Meaning he's always in uniform

Bede and Marnie both look kind of shady, which is a nice contrast to Hop. I've seen a lot of people saying they think they'll be the 'jerk rivals', but I don't think they'll be outright jerks though. With how the whole league is based on competition and sports, I assume they're just going to have a strong desire to be become champion and possibly come across as harsh/competitive because of that.

I'm surprised people don't like Bede much, he's got the smug cocky attitude I thought people wanted out of a rival for the longest time. He literally has an animation where he just looks at his watch like he thinks he's wasting his time on you.
I think it’s his design that most people are taking issue with not his personality.

Bede is possibly named after an english monk from the viking age named Bede the Venerable. He wrote the first chronicle of medieval english history, the Ecclesiastical History of the English People. Bede the Venerable also was responsible for popularizing "anno domini" in the christian calendar.

Marnie's desIgn looks like what a nerd could be, while Bede would be the evil "White Supremacist" version of Looker.

Given Marnie as a whole character, she is going to be a researcher instead of just competitor, and she could be secretly nice to everyone under her cynical look. Bede on other hand could be a double-crosser working for both Rose's Company and International Police, assuming the latter has gone corrupt in Galar.

Evil police officer vibes for Bede anyone?

.......Huh

Marnie's desIgn looks like what a nerd could be, while Bede would be the evil "White Supremacist" version of Looker.

Given Marnie as a whole character, she is going to be a researcher instead of just competitor, and she could be secretly nice to everyone under her cynical look. Bede on other hand could be a double-crosser working for both Rose's Company and International Police, assuming the latter has gone corrupt in Galar.

Evil police officer vibes for Bede anyone?
I can’t say I understand how you get researching nerd vibes from Marnie. She’s definitely all punk-goth to me. Besides, we already know that Sonia is going to be the one doing all the research.

...also you’re going to have to explain yourself on the whole “Bede is a white supremacist” claim. Not really a great time to be making that analogy.

Back
Top Bottom