• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Rival Speculation

I do like that they appear to develop the rivals in a different way, and not necessarily be friendly towards the MC.

I do wonder if the trio we saw so far will be the full rival roster. I think the other trainers in the Champion Cup will be detailed as well and not random class trainers, but they might not be ‘rivals’ as those three.

I just find arrogant rivals to be cute, especially Bede because of his blond curls. He reminds me of Near from Death Note. :p

I just find arrogant rivals to be cute, especially Bede because of his blond curls. He reminds me of Near from Death Note. :p

Ah, got it. In that case, yeah, he’d definitely fit in your preference of adorable/cute.

About Marnie, I do wonder if having Morpeko as her signature Pokémon (even if not necessarily her ace) would affect battling her. Pikaclones aren’t generally though Pokémon to face (against NPCs, and I don’t count in the group Raichu and Mimikyu).

Ah, got it. In that case, yeah, he’d definitely fit in your preference of adorable/cute.

About Marnie, I do wonder if having Morpeko as her signature Pokémon (even if not necessarily her ace) would affect battling her. Pikaclones aren’t generally though Pokémon to face (against NPCs, and I don’t count in the group Raichu and Mimikyu).
I don't know about you, but Togedemaru is a beast. Not mention Emolga was a helluva nuisance in BW. Pikaclones can potentially be very strong. Morpeko could fall in the same lines. I imagine high speed and special attack mainly

I don't know about you, but Togedemaru is a beast. Not mention Emolga was a helluva nuisance in BW. Pikaclones can potentially be very strong. Morpeko could fall in the same lines. I imagine high speed and special attack mainly
I should have clarified that I meant in the late game. Emolga was annoying mostly (for me) because of when you face Elesa.

Togedemaru is the only exception for me in game, though given that it’s the last clone we had, I hope they follow with that example in mind.

I wouldn’t say Bede looks or acts ‘adorable’ based on the translation of the Japanese dialogue tweeted a few hours ago, but to each their own.

He seems elitist and arrogant, but we’ll see how they developed him in the story.

Bede could be an evil version of Looker, tldr.

It's about time we gonna have an evil police detective to mock Hop and Marnie off, even if Game Freak didn't make International Police true villains in this game.

Which that make Bede sound dumb, cause we the player were also endorsed by Rose, so that kinda puts us at equal status
Leon endorses the player.
You and your rival Hop will receive your letters of endorsement from Champion Leon himself, kicking off your journey to challenge the Gyms of the region!

I imagine high speed and special attack mainly
I think its going to be physical or mixed, since the hamster wheel move looks physical to me.

I just realized that Bede and Impidimp both have pink and purple in their designs. Now I'm kinda hoping that the two are partners because it just makes too much sense.

It's about time we gonna have an evil police detective to mock Hop and Marnie off, even if Game Freak didn't make International Police true villains in this game.
I don't think Pokemon really needs evil police characters. Relations to real-world issues are usually in the abstract, like the elitism of Team Flare or manipulation of Team Plasma, rather than being a specific current issue. Lots of real-world issues seem to be absent from Pokemon, too, like lack of healthcare, bigotry, or poverty, so it's not really surprising that police corruption isn't included, either. It could be used to display the more general issue of abusing power, but then, there's not really any more reason to use Interpol (a vague organization with only three members we've seen, and no headquarters/uniforms/details/anything) over another authority figure, especially when we have the Pokemon league.

I think Bede might have some sort of illness.
In games\anime chracters 's with diseased bleached hair always have something wrong with them.
Prime examples include Nagito from Danganronpa and more recently two main characthers characthers in FETH

I think Bede might have some sort of illness.
In games\anime chracters 's with diseased bleached hair always have something wrong with them.
Prime examples include Nagito from Danganronpa and more recently two main characthers characthers in FETH
Roxie had white hair too. And she was just fine. I think it's just a stylistic choice.

Attachments

• 1565551893885.png
    1565551893885.png
    246.1 KB · Views: 63
  • 1565551954699.png
    1565551954699.png
    86.9 KB · Views: 58
Wally's character arc was about him having an illness, and he had green hair. I don't think Pokemon follows that trope.

I suppose this would be a more pronounced approach if they go that route.

Roxie had white hair too. And she was just fine. I think it's just a stylistic choice.
Roxie and Bede are Caucasians, which are common in the Western-based regions.

Roxie's hair designs are stylistic, but her hair color is somewhat dyed, even if she's blonde.

Bede's hair is naturally blonde, common on British-esque people. His design however gives me what an evil version of Looker shall be.

As the new trailer has shown, Hop's league number is 189. I wonder if that's significant in the way it is for the gym leaders and Leon.
pokemon_sword_and_shield_league_card.jpg
It's probably a Goroawase joke as well, as all the recent characters numbers seem to have. I can try to figure out but it's a bit hard to decode since I'm not japanes.

I like what we've seen of Hop in just the little bit of previews we got today. He seems a lot like how I imagined, which is basically kind of like Barry. He's not a jerk, but not a pushover. And he seems really serious about his goal. I'm interested in seeing more of him.

Back
Top Bottom