• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

COMPLETE: Rival's Story

Only in HeartGold/SoulSilver. In the original Gold and Silver, he had a Espeon, no Lapras.

In HG/SS, Blue doesn't have Alakazam either... so I would guess that the story will follow the original plotlines and give Red his Espeon and Blue his Alakazam

I have to say, this is the best fanfic ive ever seen. ever.I just fininsed reading this. took like 12 hours...

Wow. I'm very impressed that you have that sort of dedication and that you applied said dedication to reading my fic! I'm very honoured, thank you!

And as for the speculation over who's going to get what Pokemon and how, I'm not going to answer anything at this stage. I know what's going to happen, but I want to keep it as a surprise.

Also, don't forget to vote in the Bulbagarden Fanfiction Awards - make your voice heard!

Rival's Story is up for Best Journey Fic, Blue is up for Best Main Character and Best Take On A Canon Character and Giovanni is up for Best Villain.

Chapter 74

Blue eventually decided to send out Pidgeot next. Although Pidgeot didn’t have a type advantage or a resistance to Snorlax, there was a good reason for this choice and it was based on the fact that Blue knew Red’s team very well. Blue knew that although Venusaur was Red’s starter, his strongest Pokémon was his Pikachu, which meant that saving Pidgeot was risky. Also, assuming Lapras was the only new addition to Red’s team, Pidgeot didn’t have a type advantage against or a resistance to any of Red’s remaining Pokémon – that made it the perfect opponent for Snorlax! Blue threw down the appropriate Poké Ball and Pidgeot exploded out with a violent screech.

“Fly,” ordered Blue.

Blue ordered this attack for two reasons. Firstly, he wanted to order an attack to deal Snorlax as much damage as possible. Secondly, he wanted to waste a turn so he could see what move Red had intended for Snorlax to use.

“Rock Slide!” commanded Red, not realising that Pidgeot was disappearing into the air.

Snorlax let loose a torrent of rocks, but they missed Pidgeot entirely. Blue thought it a shame, but he realised that this meant he had to withdraw Pidgeot and send out a different Pokémon instead. Pidgeot swooped down and hit Snorlax with a Fly manoeuvre as Red mumbled some orders to his Pokémon.

Blue withdrew Pidgeot to its Poké Ball as fast as he could, in which time Snorlax appeared to not even make an attempt at attacking it. Blue sent out Rhyhorn, knowing that that was his best chance due to its resistance to Rock typed attacks. Rhyhorn growled at Snorlax threateningly as Blue sent it out but not for long – instead of using Rock Slide as Blue had expected, Snorlax used an Earthquake attack which knocked Rhyhorn out in a single move. It appeared it wasn’t just Blue who could predict Red.

Blue grumbled to himself and withdrew Rhyhorn to its Poké Ball – Red had pre-empted the switch out and had prepared for it. The only consolation was that Blue now knew most of Red’s Snorlax’s attacks – Rest, Earthquake and Rock Slide.

Blue was annoyed that he was down to four Pokémon already, which technically meant Red was beating him. His remaining Pokémon were Charizard, Alakazam, Pidgeot and Gyarados. There wasn’t much of a choice really, Charizard was extremely vulnerable to Rock typed attacks and Gyarados and Pidgeot weren’t much better. It was up to Alakazam to beat Snorlax or it was pretty much all over.

“Psychic!” ordered Blue.

Without a type advantage, Psychic was by far Alakazam’s strongest move.

“Earthquake!” commanded Red.

Both Pokémon took a considerable amount of damage, owing to their respective enormous physical and special strength. Blue just hoped Alakazam would be able to outdo Snorlax.

“Recover!” yelled Blue, hoping that this would make all the difference.
“Rest!” retorted Red.

In truth, that was exactly what Blue hoped Red would do. Recover was a much quicker move than Rest, even with Red’s nifty Poké Flute. Alakazam didn’t quite Recover full health, but it recovered as much as it needed.

“Psychic again!” commanded Blue, while Snorlax was still sleeping.

Red looked up in shock and began rummaging desperately through his bag, presumably trying to locate his Poké Flute. It appeared he had been expecting Blue to order a second Recover, thus giving him enough time to wake up Snorlax without risking being hit. Alakazam landed a direct hit on Snorlax as Red was still looking through his bag.

“Psychic once more!” shouted Blue with a huge amount of pride.

Red managed to get the Poké Flute out of his bag and wake Snorlax just in time for it to be hit by a Psychic from Alakazam and immediately faint. Red growled in annoyance.

Red now had four Pokémon remaining, including Lapras. If Blue remembered Red’s team correctly, that meant that he had Eevee, Arcanine and Pikachu remaining. Presumably Arcanine or Eevee were going to come out next, Blue knew Red would save Pikachu for last, particularly since it had a type advantage against half of Blue’s team – the half that was still conscious too.

That meant that Blue had to withdraw Alakazam so that he could save it for Pikachu, but he decided that he’d wait to see what Pokémon Red used next before choosing his own one. Red threw down his next Poké Ball and his Arcanine burst out of it, shooting a torrent of flames into the air and stamping a foot on the ground defiantly. Blue called on Charizard in response.

The obvious choice would have been Gyarados but Blue knew that Red would have considered Arcanine’s chances against Gyarados as so hopeless that he’d have just withdrew it and sent out Pikachu instead and Pikachu was a battle that Blue wanted to delay for as long as possible. Also, Blue was sure that his Fire type was superior.

“Crunch!” commanded Red.
“Fly!” ordered Blue.

Arcanine darted forwards and sunk its teeth into one of Charizard’s legs thank to its vastly superior speed and stopped the draconian Pokémon from being able to burst into the air. Blue’s face adopted a concerned expression as he realised that his assumption that the fact that Charizard was dual type Flying didn’t give it much of an advantage at all.

“Slash!” shouted Blue, desperate to do some sort of damage.
“Crunch again!” yelled Red.

Arcanine loosened its jaws in order to administer another Crunch attack to its foe, only to have Charizard run its sharp claws right down the centre of its face. Arcanine whimpered in pain as a result and Charizard, eager to obey all of its trainer’s instructions, burst upwards into the air.

Blue smiled as Red and Arcanine did nothing but look up at Charizard stupidly. Blue’s starter then proceeded to swoop down and fiercely strike Arcanine, knocking it backwards with the force.

“Slash!” commanded Blue again.
“Extreme Speed!” retorted Red.

Arcanine suddenly got to its feet and moved at a speed that Blue found incredible – it was like Arcanine had been into fast forward. Charizard Slashed at Arcanine, but by time it had executed the attack, Arcanine was nowhere to be seen and then suddenly Charizard was knocked over from behind.

Blue grumbled to himself, thinking that Arcanine was probably the superior Fire type after all but just as he did this, he got extremely lucky. In its panic, Charizard flailed its tail and managed to hit Arcanine, thus slowing it down for little more than a second. As brief as the moment Arcanine slowed down was, it made all the difference as Charizard was able to land another Slash attack and finally knock it out.

The battle had been pretty successful so far, Blue still had Alakazam, Charizard, Gyarados and Pidgeot at pretty much full health while Red only had Pikachu and Eevee remaining. It was far from in the bag but Blue would have to mess up pretty badly to lose this one.

Red looked down grumpily and grabbed a Poké Ball off his belt, this one exploding to reveal his Pikachu. The electric rodent sparked electricity and hissed threateningly at its opponent.

Blue's Team: Charizard, Pidgeot, Exeggcute, Alakazam, Gyarados, Rhyhorn
Blue’s Box: Metapod, Beedrill, Meowth, Bellsprout, Grimer, Aerodactyl
Blue's Pokédex: 23 Caught, 89 Seen
Blue’s Badges: 8

Last edited:
Damn, and he lost Rhyhorn as well =P There goes his one advantage over Pikachu.

Great Chapter, hopefully Blue'll pull something out if Red does.

i remember when you were talkin bout Red, his eevee hated him so that one move hit harder...hmmmm...

Awesome chapter! I love reading your battles. Kind of sucks that Rhyhorn fainted. It looks like Red is getting better. I can't wait to see what happens with Pikachu!

Okay, reading this has just wowed me, I've read about 40 of your chapters. And dang, this is just great. Your writing has shown me that my Fanfic has a LONG way to go to be as good as yours. Great job and well done.

Flame

Okay, reading this has just wowed me, I've read about 40 of your chapters. And dang, this is just great. Your writing has shown me that my Fanfic has a LONG way to go to be as good as yours. Great job and well done.

Flame

Wow, well done on reading 40 chapters - that really is a lot. You're more than half way! It'd be stupid to stop now =P

I hope this realisation that your fic has a long way to go (I'm not agreeing, just commenting - I haven't even read your fic I don't think) doesn't discourage you but encourage you! It only means you need to put more time into writing - please don't give up!

Anyway, here's the new chapter! Sorry it's late, I'm on Canadian time now so technically it's still the 23rd =)

Chapter 75

As soon as Blue saw Pikachu appear, he knew to retreat Charizard. He sighed when trying to select which Pokémon to use next – he’d fallen into the same trap as before, in spite of actively trying to fight it. He had four Pokémon remaining and three of them were weak against Pikachu. At least it wasn’t all of them this time, that was how he’d lost before.

Blue withdrew Charizard to its Poké Ball and set out Alakazam in its place. It was the obvious choice really. Blue wondered if Red would also withdraw his Pokémon, choosing to instead save Pikachu for one of Blue’s team that was vulnerable to it. He didn’t though, apparently Red was smart enough to realise that this would simply result in a withdrawal war, which would eventually just boil down to a battle of stubbornness, which Blue would almost certainly win.

“Thunder Wave!” commanded Red.
“Psychic!” ordered Blue.

Blue knew that Alakazam’s Synchronise would paralyse Red’s Pikachu so he knew he didn’t need to worry too much about that. Blue instead chose to use the opportunity to get ahead of the game in terms of dealing damage. Once both Pokémon were paralysed, it essentially boiled down to luck which one won out of the two of them, so by having Alakazam use Psychic, Blue was simply shifting the odds in his favour. It did seem like a strange tactic though – Red knew Blue’s Alakazam had Synchronise, he’d been on the receiving end of it before and he also knew that it had Recover, therefore placing it at a distinct advantage in a showdown between two paralysed Pokémon.

Alakazam moved first and managed to hit Pikachu with a Psychic attack, dealing it a considerable amount of damage. In fact, Blue was sure it would only take two more accurate Psychics to take down Pikachu altogether. Almost immediately after being hit by Alakazam’s Psychic, Pikachu hit back with a Thunder Wave, as per the instructions of its trainer. Blue watched as Alakazam froze up, struggling to move because of the technique and then watched as Pikachu did the same because of Alakazam’s ability.

Blue was curious about why Red would have his Pokémon do something so obviously self destructive but didn’t stop to think about it – stopping to think hadn’t paid off for him in the past and this was one battle he definitely had to win. Blue ordered a second Psychic and figured he could have Alakazam Recover if Pikachu actually managed to hit it too many times.

“Facade!” shouted Red to Blue’s surprise.

Blue had never heard of that move before and he was eager to find out what it did. Now was not the time for him to find out though, after Alakazam successfully hit Pikachu with a second Psychic attack, the electric rodent froze up, succumbing completely to its paralysis. Blue was growing more and more certain of his impending victory. Last time he’d won a battle against Red had been here – maybe it was something to do with how close to home he was. It didn’t matter – he knew he was going to win this one.

That was the moment that Red looked up and met Blue’s eyes. To Blue’s surprise – he smiled. Maybe they were closer than Blue had given them credit for because Blue knew that in that second, Red could tell everything that Blue was thinking and for some reason it made him smile.

“I’ll explain it in a minute,” announced Red with an air of superiority.
“Nothing needs explaining!” denied Blue.
“Well,” retorted Red, “I’ll explain just in case. Just wait for it to hit first...”

Both trainers ordered the same attacks again. If Alakazam wasn’t paralysed this turn, Blue wouldn’t have to find out – Pikachu didn’t have very much health remaining after the first two and Alakazam was definitely faster. Sadly, Blue did find out what the move Facade was and how it worked. Alakazam was paralysed and Pikachu was not. Pikachu darted forwards at Alakazam and knocked the Psi Pokémon off of its feet, causing it a colossal amount of damage, in fact, it would be safe to say that the move brought them down to around the same amount of health.

‘It doesn’t matter,’ thought Blue, ‘I still have three Pokémon left after Alakazam and Red just has one after Pikachu. I can win this.’

But no matter how much Blue tried to encourage himself, he couldn’t help but worry, he’d seen that Pikachu pull of amazing feats before.

“Facade does twice as much damage if the user is paralysed, poisoned or burnt,” explained Red proudly, “That’s why that attack did so much damage!”

Blue just growled. He considered ordering a Recover but then decided against it, after all if that move did hit again, Alakazam would be knocked out even if it did Recover half of its maximum health. Using Recover would only be of any use if Alakazam was able to use it twice without Pikachu moving at all, which was fairly unlikely.

“Thunderbolt has more power than Facade with a same type attack boost,” further explained Red, “But since Facade is a physical move and Thunderbolt is a special move, Facade is likely to do far more damage to an Alakazam.”

Blue just ignored this – he didn’t care, all he cared about was winning.

“Psychic!” yelled Blue to Alakazam.
“Facade!” retorted Red.

If this Facade hit, it was all over – there was no way one of Blue’s other conscious Pokémon could realistically hold their own against Red’s Pikachu. Alakazam lifted its right arm threateningly and pointed the appropriate spoon at Red’s Pikachu, preparing to launch a Psychic attack, only to be hit by another sudden bout of paralysis! Blue cursed, if this move hit, it was as good as over but there was still a fair chance that Pikachu would be fully paralysed.

Both trainers leaned in towards the battling Pokémon and the moment between Alakazam being fully paralysed and Pikachu successfully executing the requested Facade manoeuvre seemed like a life time but eventually it ended with Alakazam being hit to the floor. Blue withdrew the Psi Pokémon to its Poké Ball and just felt like dropping to his knees. There was no way he could win now. Still, he had to give it his all.

Blue grumpily picked a Poké Ball from his belt and threw it into the battle – it exploded to reveal Gyarados.

‘Great,’ thought Blue, ‘Double vulnerability!’

“Bite!” ordered Blue, adamant that he would take every chance that he got, even though he suspected he wouldn’t get any.

Gyarados darted forwards obediently and sank its teeth into Red’s Pikachu, knocking the creature out with a single hit. There was hope yet! Blue hardly even stopped to think about how pathetic he must have looked when his face lit up with joy.

Red withdrew Pikachu to its Poké Ball and sent Eevee out into the field. Blue looked at Red’s Eevee and reflected that it looked a hell of a lot happier than it had done last time he’d seen it. He also noticed some kind of bell around its neck.

“Return,” commanded Red, wasting no time.

Blue knew of the move Return – it was the opposite to Frustration. Was it possible that Red’s Eevee had made that much of a turn around that quickly?

Blue reflected that it must be once he witnessed Eevee dart forwards, just as quickly and powerfully as it had done when using Frustration and knock Gyarados to the ground. Even if Blue had given it orders, it probably would have been too shocked to use them.

“Quick Attack,” ordered Red.

Eevee darted back at Gyarados and, as simple as that, it was knocked out. Blue couldn’t believe his bad luck. It didn’t matter though, he still had two Pokémon and Red just had one – he was still in with a chance!

Last edited:
Blue knew of the move Return – it was the opposite to Frustration. Was it possible that Red’s Pikachu had made that much of a turn around that quickly?

Shouldn't that be Red's Eevee?

Anyway, brilliant chapter, Gama, keep 'em coming!

Wow, SG, that's really impressive - I can't believe you read it that quickly!

Also, take a look at this please.

Anyway, something of a short chapter today, I'm afraid:

Chapter 76

Blue’s choice for his next Pokémon was between Charizard and Pidgeot. It didn’t really matter which he picked, he should be able to win it. In the end Blue settled for Pidgeot and threw out the appropriate Poké Ball.

Pidgeot screeched some sort of war cry as it burst out of its Poké Ball and awaited its orders.

“Fly!” commanded Blue.

Pidgeot burst into the sky obediently as soon as the order was given.

“Return,” ordered Red a little too slowly.

Eevee darted forwards but as there was no target to be seen, it missed completely. Again, Blue had ordered Fly because he was interested to see what move Red would have Eevee use. Now he knew that although the trick had changed, Red’s Eevee was still very much a one trick pony. Red ordered the same move again as Pidgeot swooped down and knocked Eevee off its feet. Blue scoffed in superiority, but Eevee quickly hit back and gave Pidgeot an enormous amount of damage.

It was as if Pidgeot hitting Eevee made its Return attack even more powerful.

“It doesn’t want to let me down,” smirked Red, “It just becomes more and more determined, beautiful really.”

Blue didn’t bother to respond to this. It wasn’t really a problem anyway; Red was just trying to psych him out. Pidgeot was faster than Eevee and Fly took away about half of its health. If Blue just ordered another Fly, there was a fair chance it would take Eevee out and if it didn’t, Eevee would be left on a slither of remaining health and Charizard would easily be able to finish it off.

“Fly,” commanded Blue confidently.

Red looked annoyed as Pidgeot darted back up into the air and Eevee could do nothing but watch it. Seconds later, Pidgeot dived back down to earth and knocked Eevee back towards Red. Eevee quickly picked itself up and used most of its remaining energy to hit back at Pidgeot with a Return which knocked out the avian Pokémon, but Blue’s confidence wasn’t knocked. Blue grabbed Charizard’s Poké Ball from his belt and threw it down towards Eevee.

“Slash,” ordered Blue.
“Return!” cried Red, beginning to sound like a broken record.

Eevee darted forwards first and managed to give Charizard a considerable amount of damage but Charizard quickly struck back with a Slash that managed to knock out Eevee. Blue breathed a sigh of relief – he had finally managed to beat his rival again, maybe it was something about being near Pallet Town. That was fine by Blue too – the Indigo Plateau was pretty near Pallet Town and that was one place that Blue certainly did not want to lose.

Blue began to prepare some sort of witty sign off as he walked away from Red – he thought about telling him he needed some more practice or something along those lines but then he noticed that Red did not look as if he had just lost the battle. In fact, he was grabbing another Poké Ball from his belt.

“Hey!” objected Blue, “No fair! Only six Pokémon! You know that!”
“What?” asked Red, completely confounded, “This is my sixth.”

Blue was confused. He was sure he’d knocked out all six of Red’s Pokémon already but then it hit him – he hadn’t knocked out Lapras, he’d severely injured it and then Red had withdrawn it. It was the same mistake he’d made against Giovanni but this time, the other way around. That time the mistake had almost cost him his life, but this time it was going to cost him something much, much worse than that – his pride.

Red’s Lapras burst out of his Poké Ball and Red commanded a Surf attack. If only Blue had used Charizard against Eevee and had Pidgeot now. Blue didn’t even order an attack as the tidal wave of Lapras’ Surf engulfed Charizard, knocking it out. Blue had lost again.

Blue was furious.

“What?!” he exclaimed in indignation.
“You lost,” retorted Red, “That’s what.”

Blue was silent for a moment, then burst into a fit of incredibly forced laughter.

“I was just careless!” claimed Blue, lying outrageously.
“Don’t lie!” snapped Red in response, “We both put in our all and I came out on top! Admit it!”
“Red!” responded Blue, “That was your best?”

Blue could sense that his words were, for some reason, actually starting to get to Red.

“Stop it,” said Red, losing some of the strength in his voice, “I’m better than you.”
“You’re nowhere near as good as me, pal!” insisted Blue, “Go train some more! You loser!”

Blue thought the ‘loser’ comment might have been a bit harsh but he stuck to his guns. Blue stood facing Red for a few seconds, trying to decide whether to head back to the Pokémon Center and heal his Pokémon, the smarter action, or to keep going and hope for the best, the action that would cost him the least pride. In the end he decided to go with the latter.

Red walked back towards Viridian City, presumably towards the Pokémon Center – smart boy.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom