• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

COMPLETE: Rival's Story

The last official League battle Blue had participated in had required him to be ready at any moment and whenever he didn’t his life was put at risk, in fact, the only way he’d been able to win was by ignoring his opponent’s Pokémon and attacking his Giovanni directly.

Wait, Blue's Giovanni? *mind pictures Blue and Giovanni as married couple* *shudder*

I'm sure it was unintentional or I'm simply misreading it. Other then that, great chapter Gama. Too bad this epicness will end soon =[

Wait, Blue's Giovanni? *mind pictures Blue and Giovanni as married couple* *shudder*

I'm sure it was unintentional or I'm simply misreading it. Other then that, great chapter Gama. Too bad this epicness will end soon =[

Thank you all very much. And lol at that mistake. That originally read "his opponent" but I didn't want to use the word opponent twice in one sentence and I subbed in Giovanni... But forgot to take out "his" >_> Fixed anyways.

Last edited:
Awesome chapter! In the FRLG/RB I absolutely hated Lorelei: my Nidoking = 1 Ice Beam, Pidgeot the same, and then it was up to Jolteon/Alakazam/Blastoise. I loved her personality though, I was glad it wasn't a Misty clone. Good job.

Awesome. 10/10. Oh, and by the way, will this keep going after the inevitable match at the end? Like showing what happened to Red and how Blue became Gym Leader?

I've just finished reading
"Rival's Story" and, to be honest, it is one of the greatest things I have ever read. Keep it going to the end - I'll be reading!

Is it bad that everytime I see a new post in this thread I get excited thinking it's a new chapter? :-/

Is it bad that everytime I see a new post in this thread I get excited thinking it's a new chapter? :-/

Probably :p

Also a new page won't do you any good either ... hehehe

But seriously, Gaz, this is teh awesome can't wait for next chapter Also, you're set to win best overall character with Blue-y-chan

I just have to say that this fic is awesome.

I didn't read it all in one day it took me about a day and a half but for me to read all this in such a long time it's great.

At first I didn't want to read the story because I don't like Blue that much but the way you portray him actually made me like him and hate Red. Which is weird since I love Red mostly because of Pokemon Special.

I like how you combine game mechanics and add original ideas to the battles and the gym battles were awesome especially the one against Sabrina and Giovanni. Actually the battle between Blue and Giovanni reminded me of the battle between Special Red against Giovanni in the manga which was one of my favorites too so it's another reason why I loved that battle. Anyways I can't wait for the next chapter.

Awesome. 10/10. Oh, and by the way, will this keep going after the inevitable match at the end? Like showing what happened to Red and how Blue became Gym Leader?

I intend to, yes, I've got it all planned out.

I've just finished reading
"Rival's Story" and, to be honest, it is one of the greatest things I have ever read. Keep it going to the end - I'll be reading!

Thank you very much! It won't be too long until the end now, but Dragon Days is already lined up to take its place.

o_O Wow. That's quite the compliment - thank you! (And you've now been quoted twice in one message =P)

Probably :p

Also a new page won't do you any good either ... hehehe

But seriously, Gaz, this is teh awesome can't wait for next chapter Also, you're set to win best overall character with Blue-y-chan

I KNOW!!! I can't believe it! I was really, really happy with getting the three awards I won (joint most with Legacy - LEGACY) and now I'm in the lead for the Best Character Award! I can't thank you guys enough for nominating, voting and, this might sound strange, but most importantly just reading!

I just have to say that this fic is awesome.

I didn't read it all in one day it took me about a day and a half but for me to read all this in such a long time it's great.

At first I didn't want to read the story because I don't like Blue that much but the way you portray him actually made me like him and hate Red. Which is weird since I love Red mostly because of Pokemon Special.

I like how you combine game mechanics and add original ideas to the battles and the gym battles were awesome especially the one against Sabrina and Giovanni. Actually the battle between Blue and Giovanni reminded me of the battle between Special Red against Giovanni in the manga which was one of my favorites too so it's another reason why I loved that battle. Anyways I can't wait for the next chapter.

Hahahaha. A day and a half is amazing! I can't believe people are talking about not reading it all in one day like it's a failure - you're amazing! I love Special too, probably my favourite canon of all. It's probably not THAT much of a surprise that the Gio battle reminds you of the one in Special - that was one of my favourite battles!

Anyway, FINALLY, here is the next chapter.

Chapter 79

Author’s Note:
That’s right black face.

Lorelei threw out her Pokémon and revealed a creature Blue had never seen before. It was a bizarre thing indeed. It looked vaguely feminine, had a red body which ended with tentacles, two red arms and a black face with big, red lips.

“It’s called Jynx,” stated Lorelei proudly, “It’s a dual type Ice and Psychic Pokémon.”

Blue inwardly thanked Lorelei for giving him information on her Pokémon – that would only help him to beat it. He thought about sticking with his newly evolved Exeggutor but realised that would only result in Exeggutor fainting after having done a miniscule amount of damage – those sort of tactics would work against Gym Leaders but not against the Elite Four where Blue had to battle four opponents consecutively. Sacrificing Pokémon was not an option here. Blue withdrew Exeggutor to its Poké Ball and instead sent out Charizard, its type advantage should make this battle a breeze.

“Flamethrower!” ordered Blue confidently.

“Lovely Kiss!” retorted Lorelei.

Blue didn’t like the sound of that, the moves that sounded the most harmless were usually those that were the most frustrating and this turned out to be no exception. The one advantage of this move was that as Jynx flew towards Charizard in order to kiss it, it was hit by the main jet of fire bursting out of its mouth and thus dealt a considerable amount of damage. However, as soon as Jynx reached Charizard and kissed it, the draconian Pokémon fell to the floor, asleep, with an almighty thud.

“No!” screamed Blue desperately.

He was sure that if Charizard could hit Jynx will just one more Flamethrower then Jynx would be defeated and after that it would be no time before Blue could progress to the next member of the Elite Four – his old friend, Bruno.

“Double Slap,” commanded Lorelei.

On the upside, it was going to be ages before Jynx could possibly knock Charizard out by using Double Slap.

“Wake up!” cried Blue furiously, “Flamethrower!”

Sadly, Charizard was asleep and thus did not hear its trainer’s command, which it probably would have done everything it could to obey had it been awake. Blue wished he had Red’s Poké Flute that had the power to wake Pokémon up but he did not and so just settled for continuing to hurl abuse at his Pokémon.

The battle went on in the same fashion for some time with Charizard steadily losing health as Jynx continued to use Double Slap on it. It actually got to the point where Blue thought Charizard might actually lose to Jynx. Fortunately though, Charizard woke up as Jynx hit it with another Double Slap – saving itself from fainting!

“Flamethrower!” bellowed Blue, overjoyed that his Pokémon had not fainted.

“Lovely Kiss,” hissed Lorelei.

Clearly she was only prepared to take on a sleeping opponent. Blue thought this was cowardly – cunning, but still quite cowardly.

Just like Jynx’s last Lovely Kiss, the Pokémon had to go through a jet of fire in order to successfully land the attack. Blue thought this was a bit pointless as he was sure a second Flamethrower would take Jynx out for sure, however by some miracle Jynx managed to withstand the attack on a miniscule amount of health.

All Blue had to do was hit it with one more attack, any attack, and it would faint but Charizard fell to the ground with a thud again, making Blue scream in frustration. Lorelei smiled at her opponent’s mental anguish but that smile was quickly wiped from her face as Jynx grabbed its side in pain.

“A burn!” yelled Blue in delight.

Jynx looked to its trainer with a look of apology in its eyes and Lorelei retreated it to its Poké Ball as it tumbled to the floor.

“That means nothing!” spat Lorelei.

Blue just carried on smiling, there wasn’t much she could do to get him down now, she was down two Pokémon while he still had all six of his – and she had started with one less than him anyway! This battle was pretty much in the bag.

Lorelei did not hesitate for a second in choosing her next Pokémon, she grabbed a Poké Ball from her belt and tossed it out into the arena. It exploded to reveal a Lapras, just like Red’s one.

As always, the appearance of a Pokémon that Red possessed put a bit of a downer on Blue but still he acted with lightning reactions.

“Surf!” commanded Lorelei with an air of superiority about her.

Within a split second of her giving this command, a tidal wave of water was heading towards Charizard. The slumbering Fire type didn’t stand a chance. The waves washed straight over Charizard but when the water cleared, Charizard was nowhere to be seen – in its place stood Gyarados, barely damaged by the attack!

Lorelei frowned, Blue’s switch had been executed perfectly.

“Dragon Rage!” ordered Blue excitedly.

Blue was sure Gyarados would win this showdown, but he did not count on one thing.

“Thunderbolt!” yelled Lorelei.

Blue could do nothing but watch dumbfounded as a Water typed Pokémon fired a jolt of electricity at his Water and Flying type. Gyarados had never survived an Electric typed attack to date, perhaps today would be Blue’s lucky day.

It was not, Gyarados fell to the ground like every single other time it had been hit with even the slightest jolt of electricity. Blue withdrew Gyarados to its Poké Ball angrily – he couldn’t afford to be losing Pokémon this early on in his League challenge! If only he had not been too proud to buy a few Revives, it’s not like he was short on cash.

Blue thought through his remaining Pokémon and the solution suddenly seemed so ridiculously simple. In fact, it was so simple that he cursed himself for allowing Gyarados to needlessly be knocked out. Blue put his hand on his next Poké Ball and threw it out into the arena.

“This ends now,” stated Blue threateningly.

Blue's Team: Charizard, Pidgeot, Exeggutor, Alakazam, Gyarados, Rhyhorn
Blue’s Box: Metapod, Beedrill, Meowth, Bellsprout, Grimer, Aerodactyl
Blue's Pokédex: 24 Caught, 91 Seen
Blue’s Badges: 8

I have finally finished reading this within three days and from that last chapter, all I can say is MORE!!! :p

Nice chapter. I always like seeing the different styles of Blue's opponents.

Awesome chapter. That has to stink for Blue though almost being able to beat an Elite 4 member without losing any Pokemon and then getting two knocked out. I wonder what Pokemon Blue threw out.

Anyways what happened to the other Pokemon that Lorelei had I remember Dewgong in the last chapter but what about the other ones.

Also another question I've been meaning to ask, what made you pick Charmander as Blue's starter and Bulbasour as Red's.

Last edited:
Whew! I used to try not to post between chapters here so I only replied when I posted a new chapter... but there are just too many comments now so I have to reply between chapters!

I have finally finished reading this within three days and from that last chapter, all I can say is MORE!!! :p

Niiiiiice. I might try and make a list of people who have read this in ridiculously short amounts of times. A top 10 of sorts.

Awesome chapter. That has to stink for Blue though almost being able to beat an Elite 4 member without losing any Pokemon and then getting two knocked out. I wonder what Pokemon Blue threw out.

Anyways what happened to the other Pokemon that Lorelei had I remember Dewgong in the last chapter but what about the other ones.

Also another question I've been meaning to ask, what made you pick Charmander as Blue's starter and Bulbasour as Red's.

Her Dewgong and Jynx have been defeated. Lapras still stands and so do Cloyster and Slowbro.

Well, part of it was that the Charmander line is my favourite out of the GenI starters =P

Also, I love Special and that's the way it goes down in Special.

Now I get it, I got confused when Blue said that Lorelei had two Pokemon, I got confused and read it as if he was saying she only had two remaining but it was that she had already lost two. My bad.

Yeah I thought about the Pokemon Special order too. Also there's a picture of GenI with Blue, Red and Green standing in a triangle like manner the starters next to Blue and Red are Bulbasour (Red) and Charmander (Blue) so I guess that's where Pokemon Special got that order from.

But anyways, I wanted to say thanks because it's been a long time since I've liked a story this much.

Last edited:
moar_plz.jpg

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom