• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

COMPLETE: Rival's Story

Are the characters of The Scientist and Maxwell very loosly based on in game characters?

For a whole bunch of different reasons, from vacation to general business to sleeping to having some ideas of my own, I'm not catching up as fast as I'd hoped. I'm in the mid-50s, now, and I gotta say, I really liked what you did with Chapter 50. It was different, and a lot stranger than you'd think getting a glimpse through Red's eyes again would be. My only issue with it was how quickly he decided to start treating Eevee right, but you only have so many Red/Blue battles to work with for that, so I get it.

I'm going to shoot for reading five to ten chapters a day, so I'll be able to give a better, up-to-date review real soon.

Reading this, I've actually gotten a couple ideas for a fanfic of my own, too. I wrote a sample chapter, nothing too long at all, and I was wondering if you'd be interested in taking a look at it in a private message, GM? I'd love to hear your opinion on what I'm thinking of.

EDIT: I can't send private messages until I hit 15 posts, apparently, but if you'd like to take a look at it, I'm sure we can figure something out. ^.^'

Yeah, quite a few people have said that about the Red chapter but there you go, something I need to take on board. And I'd be more than happy to read your story.

OMW OMW! This fanfic is awesome!
I've been reading this all day and its... its amazing.
i love some of the stuff you put in that doesn't happen in the game.
Like Blue getting a Beedrill
And i love the characters of Maxwell and The Scientist
and i love what you did to Giovanni
You're a bloody amazing writer!

Wow, thank you for taking the time to catch up with this gargantuan amount of writing! I'm glad you like my creative editions to Blue's story =)

Are the characters of The Scientist and Maxwell very loosly based on in game characters?

The Scientist is based on one of the scientists in Silph Co., yes, he even has the same Pokemon. As for Maxwell, Red does not actually encounter Maxwell within RBYFRLG because Maxwell leaves the S.S. Anne before Red gets there. He is, however, featured in a different game, but I won't say more than that.

I've just spent the last 7 hours reading through
& it is truely amazing...

I expect this has inspired half of the fan fics on this site
It has certainly made me re-think what i was planning on doing

So thanks for giving me an awesome evening of entertainment & for the inspiration

I've just spent the last 7 hours reading through
& it is truely amazing...

I expect this has inspired half of the fan fics on this site
It has certainly made me re-think what i was planning on doing

So thanks for giving me an awesome evening of entertainment & for the inspiration

Wow, I can't believe you'd dedicate seven hours of your life to my fic - that's such a massive compliment! I think saying it's inspired half the fics on this site is probably a bit far but I'm still really grateful for the kind words. Thank you taking the time to read and even more for taking the time to let me know you enjoyed it =)

Anyway, here is the next chapter!

Chapter 84

It was impressive how Agatha ignored Blue’s childish comment – it was as if he’d never said it in the first place, her eyes just narrowed as she focused on the battle.
Blue could definitely stand to learn a thing or two from her. He knew Alakazam couldn’t take much more punishment, but he also knew that he would need it later. Fortunately, its Recover meant that this wasn’t a problem. Blue knew that the next Pokémon his grandmother sent out was likely to have Shadow Ball just like Gengar and thus it’d be advisable to withdraw Alakazam, at least for now. First though, he wanted to get a Recover in so that when he next sent Alakazam out, it’d have enough health to be worth using.

“Recover!” yelled Blue, before Agatha had even sent out her next Pokémon.

Agatha muttered something under her breath in response and sent out a Haunter. Blue couldn’t help but wonder why she had two Pokémon of the same evolutionary line – he guessed she was just getting old.

“Hypnosis,” instructed Agatha.

“Recover,” ordered Blue again.

Fortunately for Blue, Haunter’s attack this and Alakazam remained awake and managed to get itself to full health as well.

“Hypnosis,” commanded Agatha again exactly as she had before.

This time Blue was not so fortunate and Alakazam hit the floor, completely unconscious. There was a time when Blue would’ve kept Alakazam in battle, desperate for it to wake up but he was more mature than that now, although he couldn’t help but wish he had Red’s Poké Flute so he didn’t have to worry about that kind of thing. He was also, once again, feeling that buying Revives and Full Restores would’ve definitely been a worthwhile venture, it’s not like he was short of money – he could almost afford a bicycle from Cerulean for crying out loud!

Blue withdrew Alakazam to its Poké Ball and thought about what Pokémon would be best to use next. The options were Pidgeot, Charizard and Rhyhorn. He was saving Rhyhorn for use against a Pokémon without the Levitate ability, so it was just between Pidgeot and Charizard. Charizard was Blue’s most powerful Pokémon, so he hoped to save it for Lance, who was presumably the most powerful member of the Elite Four. On top of that, Pidgeot was dual type Normal which meant it was immune to Ghost typed moves.

“Dream Eater,” ordered Agatha, unaware that Blue was switching Pokémon.

Blue withdrew Alakazam to its Poké Ball and threw out that of Pidgeot.

Agatha grumbled in frustration as Haunter’s attack failed and both trainers ordered another attack.

“Fly!” commanded Blue.

“Curse!” shrieked Agatha shrilly.

A small wooden spike appeared in front of Haunter, pointing towards the Ghost type. To Blue’s surprise, the spike then proceeded to plunge itself between Haunter’s eyes, apparently causing the Pokémon a great amount of pain. Blue was totally confounded by the attack until he saw his Pidgeot wince in pain as a black figure circled it shortly before it burst into the sky. Agatha cackled like a witch seeing Blue’s surprise.

“Curse is a nice little move,” explained Agatha, “Haunter sacrifices half of its health to place a curse on your Pokémon. The curse drains one eighth of your Pokémon’s total health every turn, meaning that if your Pokémon was on full health and Haunter did not attack it once, it’d have eight turns of survival left in it.”

Blue nodded solemnly.

“But your Pokémon isn’t on full health, is it?” taunted Agatha, “In fact, far from it. Who got it? Did Lorelei hit it with an Ice Beam? A Rock Slide from Bruno?”

“Thunder Punch,” answered Blue honestly.

“Ah, of course,” stated Agatha proudly, “I knew having that old duff raise you you’d be a poor battler but I didn’t think you’d be stupid enough to fall for that old trick! Apparently I gave you too much credit!”

Blue clenched his fists with anger as Pidgeot fell out of the sky as a result of the Curse.

“Shut up!” snapped Blue, retreating Pidgeot to its Poké Ball.

“What?” asked Agatha, feigning genuine concern, “Am I wrong? Did you fall for that old trick or not?”

The familiar old feeling of rage welled up in Blue’s chest. He’d blocked out his hatred for this woman in his battle so far, but she was opening old wounds. Blue remembered Agatha leaving; it couldn’t have been timed more selfishly. It was, of course, after Blue and Daisy’s parents had died and Oak and Agatha had been left in charge of the children. It was also after Oak had recommended Agatha for a position in the Elite Four and immediately after Oak had been given a research grant which meant he finally had the money to open his lab in Pallet Town. As soon as things had turned her way, Agatha had left for greener pastures, leaving Oak to balance raising two young children and making sure his research grant wasn’t immediately pulled. Not only that but Oak had had to deal with constant demands from Agatha that the children be raised by her at the Pokémon League so that they could become true battlers, against the advice of just about everyone on the planet. While it was true that Blue had only met Agatha two or three times since she had abandoned them and that he could barely remember anything before that, it was also true that she had never left his life, throughout his whole childhood Blue had been aware of the pain that Agatha had caused his beloved grandfather.

Blue let out a deep breath and tried to clear his head – he couldn’t let his feelings get in the way of this battle, he retreated Pidgeot to its Poké Ball and brought Alakazam back out. A risky strategy, but he was hoping it’d pay off. He knew Alakazam could take out Haunter with just one hit, that it could withstand one Dream Eater and that it was faster than Haunter. Basically, everything hinged on Alakazam waking up before Haunter managed to land two Dream Eaters.

Agatha looked at Alakazam lying uselessly on the floor and let out a little snigger.

“Dream Eater,” instructed Agatha with an air of superiority about her.

“Psychic!” pleaded Blue, willing Alakazam to wake up.

Haunter darted forwards and pressed its lips to Alakazam’s gigantic head, apparently sucking up whatever dreams Alakazam happened to be having. Blue was glad he had had Alakazam use Recover before it had been put to sleep – it would surely have been knocked out by that Dream Eater attack if it hadn’t used Recover. As well as taking away more than half of Alakazam’s health, Dream Eater also had the effect of restoring most of Haunter’s health. It didn’t matter though, Alakazam had managed to take out Agatha’s most powerful Gengar in one move from full health so her Haunter would be no trouble at all. The real worry was whether Alakazam would wake up in the nick of time or not.

“Dream Eater,” announced Agatha proudly, clearly assured in her own victory.

“Psychic!” bellowed Blue, hoping that the volume of his voice would wake Alakazam up.

Blue prayed that Alakazam would wake up – if it didn’t, his league challenge ended in this room. Blue didn’t think he could handle the combination of losing his race to the championship with his hated rival, Red at the hands of one of the only people in the world who he hated even nearly as much.

Haunter darted forwards to execute its attack and Blue knew it was all over, Alakazam was still lying uselessly on the floor. Haunter pressed its lips to Alakazam’s head to drain its dream, its remaining health and what was left of Blue’s hopes of ever becoming the Champion. Blue’s knees became weak and he felt like life wasn’t real anymore, in the distance he heard a cackle that belonged quite distinctively to his grandmother. She was taking pleasure in his failure.

“What?” came Agatha’s voice.

Blue snapped back into reality. Alakazam was still on the floor, but it wasn’t knocked out – Haunter looked as surprised as anyone – the Dream Eater had been a failure. Blue was thoroughly puzzled – the only ways Dream Eater could fail were if the target had increased its evasion, if the user had had its accuracy reduced or if the target was awake and Blue was pretty sure none of these three had happened. Well, he was sure until Alakazam opened one of its eyes, lifted a spoon and blasted Haunter across the room with a Psychic attack.

Blue finally understood – Alakazam had woken up between the two Dream Eater attacks and had pretended to be asleep before finally taking Haunter out with a Psychic. What Blue still did not understand though, was why Alakazam had pretended to be asleep. As Alakazam pulled itself to its feet, turned to Blue and gave a smile, he understood why. Including Haunter, Alakazam had taken out seven of the twelve Pokémon Blue had defeated at the Pokémon League so far – it was getting cocky.

“Pride comes before a fall,” chided Blue, he would know after all.

Blue's Team: Charizard, Pidgeot, Exeggutor, Alakazam, Gyarados, Rhyhorn
Blue’s Box: Metapod, Beedrill, Meowth, Bellsprout, Grimer, Aerodactyl
Blue's Pokédex: 25 Caught, 95 Seen
Blue’s Badges: 8

Awesome chapter as usual, my friend. Your battles are really fun to read!

Wow. that was really good, as per usual. I liked how you included Agatha's backstory in the too.

Well, I just spent 2 hours yesterday and 5 hours today reading everything from the 1st chapter to the 84th. I now strongly dislike Red, something I thought not possible. The endings of some Gym Battles were slightly sketchy; ie. against Erika because you just write that he recievs the badge if I remember correctly. But overall, the writing got better as it went along. My favorite battle so far was against Giovanni; I knew Blue was going to win, but it seriously looked like he was in trouble there. The battle against Blaine was done in a way that was really creative in my opinion. A crazy man who lets his Pokémon command his other Pokémon? Awesome. I can't wait to read about the rest of Blue's battles in the Elite Four.

Great so far, love how Alakasam is getting cocky. He's probably thinking "Hell yea, Special Sweeper for da win!"

:) Brilliant. Loving the whole cocky Alakazam thing.If I'm not mistaking, in Red Alakazam is Blue's second strongest Pokémon!
Anyway, this battle is turning out to be one of the best in my opinion. Surge,Sabrina and Blaine were my favorite.. until now. ;D
Also the story of Blues past was awesome too.

Last edited:
Loving the Agatha battle so far, although I have no clue on how you plan to have Blue beat Lance. But then again, I suppose that's how you build suspense even when you're going off of an event that occurs in canon.

Excellent chapter, and I'm glad Blue is showing just how much he's grown as a trainer with the last two sentences.

Thanks for the support but I update every four days so even if the thread does go second page, it won't be too long before it's back on the first page. Thank you anyway! =D

Well, I just spent 2 hours yesterday and 5 hours today reading everything from the 1st chapter to the 84th. I now strongly dislike Red, something I thought not possible. The endings of some Gym Battles were slightly sketchy; ie. against Erika because you just write that he recievs the badge if I remember correctly. But overall, the writing got better as it went along. My favorite battle so far was against Giovanni; I knew Blue was going to win, but it seriously looked like he was in trouble there. The battle against Blaine was done in a way that was really creative in my opinion. A crazy man who lets his Pokémon command his other Pokémon? Awesome. I can't wait to read about the rest of Blue's battles in the Elite Four.

I always make sure to congratulate people who power read and get up to date. I could never do that and it's a huuuuuuge compliment that you would take the time to actually do that.

Anyway, here is today's chapter - next one in four day's time (GMT+1/BST)

Chapter 85

“Oh, enjoy it while you can,” hissed Agatha, “That thing won’t last you forever! It’s your only decent Pokémon, isn’t it?”

Blue wanted to oppose this but the evidence spoke for itself. Exeggutor had defeated Dewgong and Onix before fainting, Charizard had defeated Jynx, Gyarados had failed to defeat even one Pokémon, Pidgeot had defeated Hitmonchan, Rhyhorn had defeated the other Onix, while Alakazam had managed to defeat Lapras, Slowbro, Cloyster, Hitmonlee, Machamp, Gengar and now Haunter as well. Blue knew it wasn’t true – he wouldn’t even have called Alakazam his best Pokémon, let alone his only decent one. He knew that at this stage he was in no position to argue this though, so he withdrew Alakazam to its Poké Ball and instead sent out Rhyhorn. He wondered for a moment if he was just letting pride get the better of him but then he decided he didn’t care – this was one opponent he could not afford to lose face in front of.

“You came to the Pokémon League with an unevolved Pokémon?” exclaimed Agatha in apparent disbelief, “You really are pathetic – if I’d had any doubt that you were Oak’s grandson, I certainly wouldn’t now!”

Blue just scowled, he knew that the more he obsessed over getting back at her, the worse he’d perform in the battle. He’d already switched out the best Pokémon for the job since all three of Agatha’s remaining Pokémon were of the Poison type. Agatha slowly clutched a Poké Ball from her waist and threw it out – unsurprisingly, it was her second Gengar, her only remaining Pokémon that wasn’t weak against Ground type attacks, in fact, it was immune to them.

“Rock Blast,” commanded Blue, eager not to waste any time.

“Confuse Ray,” retorted Agatha.

As Rhyhorn fired a few huge rocks towards Gengar, Gengar fired back a dazzling ball of light which ended up hitting Rhyhorn square between the eyes. In total, three rocks hit Gengar and did a decent amount of damage but Blue could tell that the Ghost type could take a fair amount more damage before it fell. Meanwhile, Rhyhorn succumbed to confusion and began tottering around aimlessly.

“Rock Blast again!” yelled Blue, desperate to land another hit.

If Rhyhorn managed to land five hits, it’d probably be able to knock Gengar out completely, but that was relatively unlikely. If Rhyhorn managed to land three or four hits, it’s still do a lot of damage and would give Rhyhorn a good chance of winning the battle – depending on what moves Agatha had Gengar use and whether or not Rhyhorn hurt itself in its confusion.

“Shadow Punch,” commanded Agatha callously.

At Agatha’s command, Gengar darted forwards and its hands glowed an eerie black, following which it punched Rhyhorn with all the strength it could muster. Rhyhorn stared at Gengar in bewilderment and hesitated for a few moments, then finally butted its head into the ground, dealing a fair amount of damage to itself.

“Come on!” cried Blue in frustration, “Hit it with a Rock Blast!”

At this rate, Rhyhorn would be knocked out, Blue would be left with just Alakazam and Charizard and there was no way he’d be able to beat both his grandmother and Lance.

“Again,” ordered Agatha calmly.

“Rock Blast!” shouted Blue, now getting quite flustered.

Gengar began to fly back towards Rhyhorn when the rhinoceros Pokémon stood on its hind legs and launched two extra powerful Rock Blasts – taking Gengar by surprise. Blue was astounded by his Pokémon’s ingenuity, he didn’t understand how Rhyhorn was able to apply more power by standing on its hind legs or, indeed, how it was able to stand on its hind legs at all but somehow it worked. Also, Rhyhorn appeared to have completely recovered from its confusion after only one turn of being subjected to it – this battle was really starting to turn around.

Sadly, it did not last for long, after a few seconds, Gengar managed to collect itself and deliver the Shadow Punch that it had attempted to execute earlier, knocking Rhyhorn onto its back. The attack itself didn’t actually do that much damage but the implications were terrible, Rhyhorn was wobbling from side to side but it looked as if it just couldn’t get up.

“Get up, Rhyhorn!” yelled Blue unhelpfully, “Come on, you have to!”

Agatha cackled with pleasure and motioned for Gengar to hold back for a moment – she was desperate to revel in her grandson’s misfortune, he reminded her so much of Oak that it was almost as good as watching Oak himself upset. After seeing that Rhyhorn was not going to be able to get itself up, Blue took a few cautious steps towards it.

“Gengar!” shrieked Agatha, “Intercept!”

Gengar swooped in between Blue and Rhyhorn and gave Blue a threatening stare.

“You can get involved if you want,” informed Agatha ominously with a sick smile on her face, “But once you’re in the battle – you can’t get out of it.”

Blue was still aching from his battle with Giovanni and, eager not to physically fight Pokémon again, took a few steps back. Gengar turned its attention back to Rhyhorn, Blue was happy that it was no longer on him but was less than thrilled that his fourth Pokémon was about to be knocked out and he once again cursed himself for not buying any Full Restores or Revives.

“Come on!” shouted Blue desperately, “Get up!”

Blue was too emotionally involved in Rhyhorn’s success for the idea of switching out to even occur to him. Later, he would lament himself for not simply switching out to Alakazam and taking out Gengar with a shock Psychic but perhaps the way he did do things worked out for the best after all.

Rhyhorn looked Blue in the eyes and it was obvious that it wanted to obey – it just couldn’t. It continued to squirm as Gengar advanced on it, it looked like there was no way out now. Suddenly, Rhyhorn strained itself and began to glow with the light that Blue had become so accustomed to by this point in his journey.

“Yes!” exclaimed Blue, “Take it out! Rock Blast!”

Both Agatha and Gengar simply watched stupidly as Rhyhorn evolved into the bipedal and much larger Pokémon known as Rhydon. Rhydon gave out a battle cry and fired a few rocks towards Gengar which knocked it straight to the ground. Agatha quickly withdrew it to its Poké Ball, unable to hide her shame.

“You might think you’ve won!” announced Agatha, making a poor attempt at covering up the fear in her voice, “But this is far from over! I’ve got two Pokémon left that’ll make a go of that thing!”

Blue just smiled.

Agatha grabbed a Poké Ball from her belt and threw it to the ground revealing a purple snake which Blue knew was Arbok, the evolved form of Ekans. A Poison type and, as such, weak against Ground type moves such as Earthquake – this was going to be a simple battle.

Blue's Team: Charizard, Pidgeot, Exeggcute, Alakazam, Gyarados, Rhydon
Blue’s Box: Metapod, Beedrill, Meowth, Bellsprout, Grimer, Aerodactyl
Blue's Pokédex: 26 Caught, 96 Seen
Blue’s Badges: 8

Last edited:
Another great chapter! It was really worrying when it looked like Rhyhorn couldn't fight, but it was a great surprise when it evolved and EPICALLY defeated Agatha's Gengar. Now Blue can lie back and relax... *notices that Arbok has somehow knocked out all of Blue's remaining Pokémon* Oops, spoke too soon!

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom