• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

COMPLETE: Rival's Story

Ooh, what's in store for Blue now? (Other than the tragedy Sabrina foretold and we all knew was coming anyways.)

*decides to take a wild guess* ooooh, is Blue gonna be hit accidenally by an attack, giving him a perminant injury that prevents him from travelling around other regions like Red? =P
Good chappy Gama, soon it shall be over and the epic will end D=

OH YOU HAD TO END IT THERE, DIDN'T YOU!!?!?!?!?!?
In all seriousness, I really think that this chapter had an epic ending. oh, and an epic middle. And an epic ending.
And Blue seems to be forgetting about Eevee (which, I believe, evolved.)....

Just a quick apology. I just moved to Uni and I'm having some connection issues. Basically, I can't get any internet on my laptop which has Rival's Story on it so I can't post the new chapter today. I'm hoping to be able to post it tomorrow and from then on I'll continue with the timetable detailed in the first post.

Sorry!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
*Sniff*
It's like canceling Christmas....
Still, I can't wait till tomorrow then! All I know is it'll be one epic battle!

*Latest post: Rival's Story, post by Gastly's Mama*

"OMFG NEW CHAPTER ARGHH!"

"I can't post the new chapter today"

I nearly cried

Wow. Sorry about that guys - maybe from now on I should just not post it instead of telling you there's going to be a delay?

Anyway, my internet is working in my new house so I should be able to post on schedule right up to the grand finale of Chapter 100 (fingers crossed)

Here's the latest chapter!

Chapter 95

Blue couldn’t understand why his rival was so assured of his own victory – Blue had Rhydon and Alakazam while Red only had Pikachu remaining, there was no way that Pikachu would be able to take out Rhydon – it simply wasn’t possible. Red took his final Poké Ball off of his belt, sent out his last Pokémon and suddenly, it all made sense. Red’s Lapras burst out of the Poké Ball.

“Surf,” commanded Red casually.

Lapras shrieked and sent a tidal wave crashing across the arena, knocking out Rhydon in a single hit.

Blue was wrong. He had assumed that Red’s Pikachu would not have been knocked out on his way through the Elite Four but apparently it had, leaving Red with just Lapras. Blue couldn’t believe he had let himself be so blind, it didn’t have to happen this way. Still, he was pretty sure he could win, it was all up to Alakazam now but it had the Shock Wave move that Lapras was weak against. It didn’t matter that Alakazam had no back up – it didn’t need any, just two hits from Shock Wave would be enough to take Lapras out completely.

“Shock Wave!” commanded Blue.

“Attract!” shouted Red in response.

Lapras shot Alakazam a flirtatious look and caused the Psi Pokémon’s hand to jitter as it attempted to launch the requested Shock Wave towards its opponent, causing the attack to be fired wildly off target.

Red beamed in delight over what he had managed to do. Of course, Blue knew that Shock Wave could never be off target so he wasn’t worried. Although the attack flew straight past Lapras, it quickly made an about turn and hit the Water type, dealing a considerable amount of damage, but not quite half of its health. Blue was irritated that the Shock Wave attack had done less than he thought it would, but he was even more irritated by the fact that Alakazam appeared to be completely infatuated by Red’s Lapras and thus mostly unable to attack.

“Shock Wave!” growled Blue in fury.

“Blue,” addressed Red, “You’ve been a great rival but, unfortunately, now you’re going to lose and I’m going to become the new Champion. Lapras has Sheer Cold.”

Blue laughed.

“You’re going to rely on that?” scoffed Blue, “That’s an incredibly inaccurate move! Don’t you remember when you had Lapras try to use it against Exeggcute?”

“Yes,” answered Red, “And that’s why I worked on it. Can’t you see, Blue? I’ve studied your team. I knew it’d be you here and I thought about all of your tactics and how I could use them against you, as well as how I could stop you from getting at my Pokémon. You’ve done a pretty good job but it ends now.”

“I’m waiting,” taunted Blue whilst gesturing at Alakazam to attack again.

“You see, Blue,” explained Red, “You’d be right in saying that Sheer Cold is far more likely to miss than it is to hit, in fact, Alakazam is more likely to attack Lapras than Sheer Cold is to be on target.”

Blue was dumbfounded, it sounded like Red was explaining why Blue was going to win not why Red was going to win.

“But,” continued Red, “That’s only the case when the attack is executed from a reasonable distance and aimed at a moving target. If Lapras can just slide over to a poor, infatuated sap and launch the attack at point blank range then it’s virtually guaranteed to hit!”

Blue’s face dropped – Red was right. What chance did Sheer Cold have of missing when Alakazam was simply standing in the same spot gazing dreamily at Lapras?

“Get next to it, Lapras,” instructed Red with a sick pleasure in his voice.

“Shock Wave!” yelled Blue in fury.

Alakazam did not hear Blue’s words and just stood staring at Lapras lovingly as the beast slid over to it. Blue’s heart sank with every push of Lapras’ flippers closer to Alakazam. He wished the Pokémon could move faster on dry land, at least that way it would be over quicker. Blue immediately told himself off for even thinking that – he wasn’t going to give up, he could never give up. Every second that Lapras took to get next to Alakazam was another second that Alakazam had to come to its senses and finally launch a Shock Wave attack, hopefully taking Lapras out. Blue watched in horror as Lapras arrived right next to Alakazam and the Psi Pokémon still had that loved up look in its eyes.

“Sheer Cold,” ordered Red.

Then, right at the last second, Alakazam snapped out of its infatuation for just long enough to realise what was going on around it. Even though the last Shock Wave had delivered just under half of Lapras’ health, Blue was sure that at this close range, one would surely be enough to finish Lapras off.

“Shock Wave!” yelled Blue again desperately.

Blue had been able to put up with Alakazam’s cockiness when they were performed in the face of assured victory but the Psi Pokémon’s next actions were enough to make Blue resent it for a very long time. Instead of simply following its orders and launching the Shock Wave, which stood a good chance of knocking Lapras out, it decided to take a moment to twirl its right hand spoon in the air, above its head. This second of delay was enough for Lapras to successfully execute its point blank range Sheer Cold attack, freezing Alakazam in a solid block of ice. Blue looked at his Pokémon, frozen in a position of incredible arrogance – a testimony to his failure to keep his title as Champion. He could feel the anger welling up inside him like an uncontrollable beast, he just wanted to grab Red and smash his head against the huge block of ice that Alakazam was trapped inside, unconscious.

Red took Lapras’ Poké Ball off of his belt and retreated the Water Pokémon to it. Blue could tell his rival wanted to shout out and jump around in joy, but he held it in and Blue was grateful for that. Red must have known that he had broken Blue and that there was no need for him to rub it in. Blue retreated Alakazam to his Poké Ball and thoughts began whirring about in his head. Suddenly, he could hear Professor Oak’s voice, just like he could in Lavender Town after Red had beaten him there.

“Just admit it, Blue,” chided the disembodied voice of Oak, “You’re not as good as Red and you never will be. Can’t you see why I like him better?”

Blue could not accept that he was inferior to Red. In spite of all the evidence, he refused to believe that

“No!” yelled Blue, at the top of his voice, trying to send away the taunting voice.

Red took a step closer to Blue, for all the harsh words and mocking that had been exchanged between the two of them, they still cared about each other. Red had wanted to be the Champion more than anything, but he hadn’t wanted to destroy Blue who had always, deep down, been his closest friend. Blue looked to Red and his eyes welled up with tears, he placed his hand on Red’s shoulder.

“That can’t be!” he wept, “You beat me at my best!”

Red said nothing, he put his arm around Blue in an effort to console him but he didn’t know what he could say that would help.

“After all that work to become League Champ!” continued Blue, “My reign is over already?”

Red wished they could both be Champions, if he was going to share the title with anyone – he’d have wanted it to be Blue. He wanted to say something that would make it better but the words just wouldn’t come to him, he opened his mouth but nothing came out.

“Why?” wailed Blue, “Why did I lose? I never made any mistakes raising my Pokémon!”

Blue thought over his team, he had been a bit hard on them sometimes but, ultimately, he had done his best for them. Then he looked at himself – he was a disgrace, he was already a loser, he didn’t need to be a pathetic loser too, he had to pull himself together. Blue pulled away from Red and straightened up, wiping the tears of his face.

“Darn it!” he said, cursing everything that had happened since he had entered the Champion’s chamber, “You’re the new Pokémon League Champion! Although I don’t like to admit it...”

“Thank you, Blue,” replied Red solemnly.

Blue was delighted by how kind Red was, if he had to lose his title, he was glad it was like this. There was no mockery, no pointers, no rubbing it in and no one even knew that Blue was Champion, which meant that no one even knew he lost, which was just the way he wanted it. Blue turned to leave, just the way he had come in, unnoticed by most when he heard the last thing that he wanted to hear at that moment – his grandfather’s voice.

“Red!” shouted Oak, rushing up towards Red and Blue.

Not even a greeting tossed Blue’s way. Not even eye contact. Suddenly, his loss was all coming back to it. How was it that the person who Blue hated more than anything had managed to make him feel good about losing but the person who he loved more than anything was making him feel terrible about it?

Oak did not even make eye contact with Blue as he began excitedly talking to Red.

“So, you won! Congratulations!” exclaimed Oak, “You’re the new Pokémon League Champion!”

“I guess I am,” said Red quietly, casting a look towards Blue.

Red was all too aware of how this must be making Blue feel but Blue didn’t want pity. He gave a hand signal to indicate that it was alright and to enjoy himself but Red could tell immediately that it was an act.

“You’ve grown up so much since you first left with Bulbasaur!” continued Oak, apparently requiring absolutely no encouragement whatsoever, “Red, you have come of age!”

“Thanks,” answered Red, “I think Blue deserves congratulations too though.”

“Blue!” exclaimed Oak, suddenly remembering his grandson and finally looking at him, “I’m disappointed! I came when I heard you beat the Elite Four but, when I got here, you had already lost!”

Blue just nodded. There was nothing he could say to that. He knew he had lost, he didn’t need his grandfather to tell him that.

“Blue!” shouted Oak, “Do you understand why you lost?”

Blue really did not need this right now.

“You have forgotten to treat your Pokémon with love and respect!” informed Oak, “Without them you will never become a Champ again!”

Blue felt that that last comment was not only unnecessary but unfair – if he had seen the way Red had been treating his Eevee when Blue met him in Saffron, he’d see that in a second.

“Red!” exclaimed Oak in abundant excitement, turning to, once again, address his golden boy, “You understand that your victory was not just your own doing! The bond you share with your Pokémon is marvellous!”

“Shouldn’t we register?” suggested Red, clearly trying to get this speech to continue away from Blue.

“Red!” shouted Oak once again, “Come with me!”

Blue wondered why Oak needed to say their names every single time he spoke to them – was it so he could remember them? Oak marched onwards to the next room with Red in tow. The room that Blue had never been able to reach – the room where the Champion was registered. As the door to that room closed behind Oak and Red, Blue let out a deep breath, put the nearby Reliever to his Pokémon and started on the walk back to Pallet Town.

It was all over.

Blue's Team: Charizard, Pidgeot, Exeggutor, Alakazam, Gyarados, Rhydon
Blue’s Box: Metapod, Beedrill, Meowth, Bellsprout, Grimer, Aerodactyl
Blue's Pokédex: 26 Caught, 98 Seen
Blue’s Badges: 8

...THAT WAS FREAKING AWESOME!

One hell of a climax for the most important battle of the fic and you truely finished it buetifully. Red no longer being a dick was nice, actually. Really a ncie change. Though the way oak keeps repeating the names of the two boys puzzled me a little :/

Great, now blue has to take the walk of shame. A great ending of a battle, gama. Amazing.

I actually had to register just to comment on this. >_>;;

Fantastic, despite some errors in grammar, your plot is amazing, and I only have a few small criticisms which I forget at this point in time. *tired*

I read through it in three hours (skipping the comments, but I'm a speed reader). Definitely gunna be watching for any other stories of yours.

I just had a thought; is Blue going to meet agatha on the way out of the building. :O I hope not! That would be cruel.

I actually did tear up a little. All my old respect for Red slowly fell as I read Rival's Story, but now it's all back again. That was really lovely :)

Can't wait to see what you do with the last 5 chapters though. That's, weirdly, what I've been most looking forward to :)

That chapter really took me by surprise!
I thought that Red would have cheated and brought out an Espeon but the Lapras thing really startled me.

Bravo, this chapter was quite wonderful. Perhaps you should end it here, unless you have one final twist in store for the last five chapters.

Just out of interest is Alakazam's pride the reason Blue drops it for Machamp?

And when he leaves is he offered Viridian's Gym or is he offered to stay as Champion (like he dose in LG/FR)?

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom