• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

RMT - 5th gen OU

Catspring

shsl music club member
Reaction score
This probably isn't a very good team, as I have little experience making teams ; - ; I've won some battles with this team, though, so it can't be THAT terrible...

Trinity (Espeon) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Shadow Ball
- Psyshock
- Psychic
- Calm Mind

NOTES: Trinity is my lead and one of my most powerful Pokemon; after a few Calm Minds, she can OHKO a Dragonite - and she has! Shadow Ball takes care of those pesky Ghost types Espeon hates. Smash, my Conkeldurr, is a great counter for Dark types. Trinity has a hard time against Ferrothorn, Heatran, Tyranitar, and Scizor.

Smash (Conkeldurr) (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Mach Punch
- Focus Punch
- Substitute
- Payback

NOTES: Most people don't see this coming. I've had people question me about having a Substitute Conkeldurr. I then proceed to OHKO them with Focus Punch. Mach Punch is for when Substitute won't work and a quick attack is needed, and Payback is for the Psychic types and Ghost types and is a great move to have.

Hydrogen (Hydreigon) (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Focus Blast
- U-turn
- Draco Meteor
- Surf

NOTES: I'm not sure about this one. Hydrogen can do some damage, but he hasn't really been that big an asset and he doesn't even have a STAB Dark move. He works well against Tyranitar, as he hits hard and fast with his Focus Blast. I would welcome thoughts on improving or replacing him.

Foster (Ninetales) (F) @ Expert Belt
Trait: Drought
- Calm Mind
- Flamethrower
- Psyshock
- Energy Ball

NOTES: Foster is more powerful than she seems, and has saved me a few times in battle. Her Drought cuts water moves in half, and she's able to launch a super effective Energy Ball made even more powerful than Calm Mind.

Silence (Starmie) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Illuminate
- Trick
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

NOTES: Here's another Pokemon I'm not sure about. It's a hassle to use a move to use Trick, and I'm not sure if I should keep it. It's also not that strong of an attacker.

Sora (Togekiss) (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Air Slash
- Thunder Wave
- Aura Sphere
- Flamethrower

NOTES: Sora is an absolute beast if I can pull it off, first he paralyzes and then uses Air Slash for flinches. Aura Sphere is great against Heatran and normal types, and Flamethrower takes care of Ferrothorn, Scizor, and those Ice types Togekiss hates.

It seems like this team is just basically hit hard and hope for an OHKO or 2HKO. I think what your team lacks a wall, or a tank that can absorb some hits and spread status that will make your other sweepers able to take down Pokemon easier.

For your team, I suggest having an Espeon with a Hidden Power. Hidden Power Fighting, Fire or Ice will help Espeon stay in battle with boosted CM's and not wreck her her momentum in battle. Shadow Ball is not needed, and having both Psyshock and Psychic is not a good idea. After +2 CM, Stored power gets doubles what psychic normally gives you. That's just one option. I highly reccomend having this Moveset:
Morning Sun (GREAT with Ninetails) / Calm Mind / Psyshock / Hidden Power (Fighting / Fire / Ice)
If you cannot have a hidden power, than shadow ball would be OK for coverage. Steel types in general just wall Espeon without hidden power.

As for Conkeldurr, that set seems solid, IMO. However, personally I don't like having Payback as a move as most psychic types in this meta are specially based, and Conkeldurr cannot take psychic attacks at all. I suggest Either Drain Punch or Stone Edge. Rock type attacks hits has amazing neutrality coverage, and hits hard as well as covering Conkeldurr's weakness to flying type Pokemon. I would also invest HP into Conkeldurr too, but it's not needed as much.

Hydreigon is an OK special attacker. My only nitpick is that it gets hit hard but the plethora of fighting type Pokemon in this meta. I suggest Instead having Multiscale Dragonite with Extremespeed and ddance. Your team lacks physical attackers, and can be walled completely by Pokemon like Blissey. (No one has the sense of keeping Blissey out with Conkeldurr out anyway)
If you want to keep Hydreigon, I suggest giving him a choice specs to hit even harder.

As for Ninetails, you don't need calm mind. Ninetails doesn't have the bulk, the typing, or the speed to pull off calm minds. I suggest giving it a hidden power (Ice, grass, ground or rock) and replacing energy ball with Solarbeam (due to drought) Ninetails just doesn't have much fire power, so I suggest giving it Fire blast instead of flame thrower.

With Starmie, if you don't want it, I suggest having Rotom-W instead. You need a good bulky sweeper and Rotom-W has the coverage and movepool to pull off what you need.
With access to moves like Hydro Pump, Thunderbolt, Willowisp and volts witch, you can cripple any physical Attackers easily. If you would like to keep Starmie still, I suggest you having Hydro Pump over surf, Thunder over Thunderbilt, and Blizzard over Ice beam. Starmie would be perfect in Rain and hail because of 100% accuracy to both thunder and blizzard. Starmie just lacks the offensive capability to do any proper sweeping without high output moves.

Other than those few changes, I think the team looks good. I just feel like you really need some good tanks / walls.

So I am going to point out some things here

First: I do not think you should lead with Espeon. It is better to switch in on a Spikes, Stealth Rock, or Toxic Spikes. Or any thing Magic Bounce Reflects. Most people now though realized this strategy so Like Myself when I see Espeon I switch into Foretress. People Automatically think I will use Stealth Rock so they switch in and then they get Devistated by Gyro Ball. So maybe keeping it out first is not so bad. Now as for OHKO a Dragonite I hope you know that If you and I were battleing an d My Dragonite was out I would just Outrage you. I would not wait for you to set up that much. Plus with Dragonites Multiscale he can survive some attacks even after one Set Up of something.

For your Conkledurr. I run one but I use Drain Punch, Mach Punch, Bulk Up, Stone Edge thats just me though. Your only problem is someone breaking you some as most people probably will think you are going to bulk up and go that method so you would be if for some attacks.

Hydreigon use Choice Specks as @Siris has stated and instead of U-turn you should go with Dark Pulse. It can be bred onto it and if you need a Male Gyarados with it I have one I could certainly train you but thats up to you of course. Do not get stuck with Using Draco Meteor either I think its better just to Go with Choice Specs Dragon Pulse.

It is weird seeing Drought Ninetales when you are not using a sun team. A Chandelure would highly benefit from the Sun and with Flash Fire it could do work so watch out for him at least.

Starmie- I would use Psyshock instead of Trick Starmie cant really take to much and you might be up against a Poison/Steel that will not get affected or someone using a Pokemon with Magicguard rendering your trick a wasted move and them Potentially taking out your starmie. Also I would keep what you have except for Surf Go Scald because Scald Can burn. Psyshock would be super Helpfull if it came down to Starmie and Blissey.

I am not for sure how Popular Trick Room Teams are in OU since I have not played the Tier Recently but if they are you could be in for some Major Hurt since most of your Pokemon are Designed for speed.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom