• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

RMT: Yet another Drought team! [Gen 5 PO]

Saiga

Reaction score
So, a week or so ago I started playing on PO again, and I threw together this sun team to play with. Now I want some advice on improving my team:

Blitz the Ninetales (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Drought, Nature: Timid
252 Sp. Atk - 4 Sp. Def - 252 Spd
-Nasty Plot
-Flamethrower
-Energy Ball
-HP Fighting

Blitz is only really here to provide sun support, any KOs she achieves are just gravy. That said, Nasty Plot has been working better then I had actually expected, but I don't get many opportunities to use it effectively. I'm aware that other sets are considered better, but I sort of like this one. I'm still open to suggestions, though.

Onion the Venusaur (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll, Nature: Modest
4 Hp - 252 Sp. Atk - 252 Spd
-Growth
-Giga Drain
-HP Fire
-Sleep Powder

Onion is a valued team member, his Sleep Powder has really helped me out in a pinch. I originally ran SolarBeam on him for the sheer power but found myself falling back on him in situations when my opponent had the weather advantage, so now he has Giga Drain to accommodate for those situations without the sun.

Superstar the Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure, Nature: Timid
4 Hp - 252 Sp. Atk - 252 Spd
-Thunderbolt
-Ice Beam
-HP Fire
-Rapid Spin

Superstar is the team spinner, although to be honest ever since I swapped out my Volcarona for a Heatran I haven't gotten much use out of it. I don't feel a really need a spinner any more, so it could probably be replaced. Haven't gotten a whole lot of use out of it apart from spinning.

Digger the Dugtrio @ Choice Band
Ability: Arena Trap, Nature: Jolly
252 Atk - 34 Def - 226 Speed
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Sucker Punch
-Aerial Ace

Digger is a real credit to the team, trapping and revenge killing pesky foes. He's gotten plenty of KO's for me and I'm really happy I decided to try him out. There isn't really much to say about him except I was thinking of moving his Def EVs into Speed (as he can't take a hit anyway) and giving him an Adamant nature for more offensive power.

Vulcan the Heatran (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Flash Fire, Nature: Modest
-Overheat
-Dragon Pulse
-Earth Power
-SolarBeam

Vulcan here was added to the team replacing my Volcarona, and he's been a worthy team mate so far. Sun-boosted Specs Overheat really is an insanely powerful weapon, and the neutrality to Stealth Rock damage is welcome.

Saru the Infernape (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Blaze, Nature: Adamant
4 Hp - 252 Atk - 252 Spd
-Flare Blitz
-Close Combat
-Stone Edge
-U-turn

My only physical attacker apart from Digger, Saru packs a lot more brute power and has excellent STAB. His Close Combat is especially handy, and it's an awesome feeling when the opponent's team has nothing left that can avoid being KO'd by it.

Former Member:

Sunny the Volcarona (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flame Body, Nature: Modest
-Morning Sun
-Quiver Dance
-Fiery Dance
-Bug Buzz

Sunny was a good team member, however, I felt that having three boosters on the one team was going overboard, and his SR weakness and lack of coverage didn't help him much. Volcarona is a personal favourite of mine, so I'd like to use him again but I'm divided over it.

Well, there's my team. How can I improve it?

Having played with sun before, I might suggest Substitute on Ninetales. Ninetales can fill a very nice support role on the team, running Substitute+Sunny Day+SolarBeam+Fire Blast. Sunny Day gives you double rain coverage against other weather inducers. It means you can stay in on Politoed and take a scald without problems.
I'd also try running a mixed set on Infernape, I used to run a physical set but I gradually stopped using it, because the recoil means INfernape can't stay alive too long and Fire punch doesn't pack as much power. WIth CB though, you might try FIre Punch.
Also, consider Scarfed Darmanitan. It hits ridiculously hard in sun.

Leftovers on Ninetales since you need it to live. It can never really successfully set up outside of Sub, so a support move like w-o-w or Toxic is usually better than trying to sweep.

I'd remove the Defense EVs on Dug and just put them in Speed. Pursuit is better than Aerial Ace since you can't stay in on Breloom anyway and then you can nab things like Gengar that can escape Arena Trap.

Scarf Darmanitan seems better than Nape here imo.

Also run physically defensive Volcarona and thank me later.

Aside from that, your team seems full-on offense, which never really works. What gives you trouble now?

Having played with sun before, I might suggest Substitute on Ninetales. Ninetales can fill a very nice support role on the team, running Substitute+Sunny Day+SolarBeam+Fire Blast. Sunny Day gives you double rain coverage against other weather inducers. It means you can stay in on Politoed and take a scald without problems.
I'd also try running a mixed set on Infernape, I used to run a physical set but I gradually stopped using it, because the recoil means INfernape can't stay alive too long and Fire punch doesn't pack as much power. WIth CB though, you might try FIre Punch.
Also, consider Scarfed Darmanitan. It hits ridiculously hard in sun.

I think I might go with that for Ninetales, or something like Synthesis said. As for Infernape, yeah, I really don't find myself using Flare Blitz very often. It's mostly Close Combat that I use him for. I think Fire Punch would be too weak, though.

Leftovers on Ninetales since you need it to live. It can never really successfully set up outside of Sub, so a support move like w-o-w or Toxic is usually better than trying to sweep.

I'd remove the Defense EVs on Dug and just put them in Speed. Pursuit is better than Aerial Ace since you can't stay in on Breloom anyway and then you can nab things like Gengar that can escape Arena Trap.

Scarf Darmanitan seems better than Nape here imo.

Also run physically defensive Volcarona and thank me later.

Aside from that, your team seems full-on offense, which never really works. What gives you trouble now?

Considering that none of my Pokemon have any status moves apart from Onion, I may just go for W-o-W or Toxic. It's just a question of which one to use, I'm leaning towards Toxic for the better accuracy though.

The EVs were there to survive an Adamant Mach Punch from Breloom, but have never encountered one running that. They'll go into Speed.

As for Scarf Darmanitan, I'm unsure if he'll do better than Infernape here. The best use I've gotten out of my Infernape is consecutive STAB Close Combat, which Darmanitan lacks. Sure, he has Superpower, but not STAB and it lowers attack after the first use.

Who do you suggest I remove to put Volcarona back on the team? And I was thinking of running Giga Drain over Morning Sun, thoughts?

Lastly, although Starmie isn't really intended for offence I see what you mean. I tend to favour offensive mons, and really need to use some support. I was thinking of having Forretress as a hazard layer, but again, I'm open to ideas.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom