• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Rocket Gachat: Good or Bad?

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
So today's episode featured the second use of the Rocket Gachat, thought I would post a place to discuss whether it is good, or bad

For me, I have mixed feelings

Its good in the fact that we won't always see Team Rocket using the same Pokemon but its bad because like Ash, it doesn't look like they'll be catching any new Pokemon, or maybe not using any of their old ones

It's bad because TRio always tends to have a great bond with the Pokémon they caught

but

it's also good because I don't find any of the Galar mons appealing enough to make me wish Trio captured them, and their new Pokéball designs are really cool.

Beyond bad in just about every possible way.

One of my favourite things about the TRio is seeing them be able to bond with their own Pokèmon which can also lead to many great episodes focusing on them.

Now that they have the Gacha machine, all that potential is now completely chucked out the window meaning that they are now forced to use whatever mons come out of that machine and to top it all off, they are mons that they will probably only use for one single episode and then we will most likely never see them be used again. This leaves very little room for Jessie and James to have any actual time with them thus to me they just come as lifeless little robotic husks with no personality that are taken down, sent to the nearest scrapyard and are then replaced by some more robotic husks thus the cycle repeats itself.

That and it shoots down the balloon that is the possibility of seeing their old favourites too.

Bad, bad, bad, bad, bad! If they have strong fully evolved Pokémon given by the boss with this machine what is the point of catching some random pre-evolved Pokémon for the boss? (pikachu and Piplup...)
In more these Pokémon don’t suits with them. And I already miss their usual strong bond so cute and precious.

(Why this gift of Sakaki???? Why he is not angry about their failures???)

I don’t want to see this machine anymore.

Last edited:
Short answer: It's bad.

Long answer: It's BAD! BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD! BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA...

It's nothing but a shallow replacement for Team Rocket captures that's missing the core of what made them so great: the bond that Jessie and James would build with their Pokémon and how that would shape them. I would go into more detail, but I already talked about it in one of my reviews:
Them catching and bonding with Pokémon on a personal level, their interactions and caring for them (coupled with their backstories) is what made the TRio such interesting and pretty complex villains and showed that they're more than just a bunch of comical stupid bad guys, but rather partially good-hearted people that do have some sense of morality, who are more than just a bunch of selfish despicable idiots, who do care about their Pokémon and who are doing evil deeds in order to survive. Their caught Pokémon, with whom they forged personal bonds and relationships (sometimes in more ways than one), did a good job at showcasing the good in Team Rocket and even gave them some interesting development. And to take all that away and replace it with a loot box, to get rid of some potential development for them, to get rid of their more personal interactions with Pokémon that they actually cared about and to make Team Rocket as a whole seem like a bunch of morons by having their leader state that their greatest weapon of evil is a vending machine... who the hell came up with this s***? Who approved of all of this?!

The gacha could be a temporary thing. But as far as the heart of TRio goes, I'd say that Meowth and Wobuffett already represent that.

It'd be funny if they ended up getting some of their old Pokemon via the gacha.

I don't like it.

One of Team Rocket's strongest suit as characters is watching them with their Pokemon. Jessie and James both tend to have relatively small teams, but because of that, we get to see those Pokemon a lot and their relationships with their trainers. James is typically the best example of this, but Jessie's had lots of great moments as well (SM38 with Mimikyu comes to mind, where essentially the whole episode was about them...I'm not even a self proclaimed Rocket fan but it was one of my favorites!) I think seeing them with their Pokemon makes them much more sympathetic and gives you a good glimpse into their characters outside of just being the bad guys.

I don't know, maybe I'd hate the gacha less if they still had their own Pokemon on top of it. And no, I don't count Meowth or Wobuffett. Now, in the only two episodes we've had Team Rocket so far, they're barely even displaying any personality. They show up, pull out the machine, get some random Pokemon who at first glance should be pretty powerful, and then get easily discarded by Pikachu. It doesn't give us any reason to care about the gacha Pokemon, and so far, it's reduced Team Rocket to the one note villains.

It's shit.
Team Rocket(Especially James) had bonds with Pokemon that rivaled with if not topping Ash's bonds with his own. Taking that away and giving them a bunch of powerful Pokemon that we'll likely never see again(Which is also an issue I have with Go's trash goal as well) that just wind up jobbing against Pikachu in the end....

The gacha machine makes the BW captures look appealing. They may have been bland and personality-less but at least they had Pokemon to call their own!

It's bad because TRio always tends to have a great bond with the Pokémon they caught

but

it's also good because I don't find any of the Galar mons appealing enough to make me wish Trio captured them, and their new Pokéball designs are really cool.
Looks should not matter. Some Galar mons are great,

As I stated in previous threads it's a really bad idea.

Look at the Dustox and Cacnea on Pokémon TV I watched it last week and I cried again. We had a big step up with Mimmikuy and Marearnie. And now we descent to this hole. This series is killing me to think I was hyped for this. At least if te battles where good but they are not. And Pikachu is too powerful How do you stop him. At least Mimmikyu gave trouble to him and was the perfect Anti-Pikachu weapon, but now not even semi-Legendary Pokémon can stop him. That makes those Pokémon look too weak not good.

Pokémon that can fit Team Rocket?Cramorant, Sandaconda, Impidimp,Polteageist... Well this really depends. Was Yanmega a Team Rocket fitting pokémon? And Yamask? What I want to say is that a Pokémon doesnt fit a character inmediatly, it fits through the series (Dawn Swinub comes to mind,buizel, gliscor,aipom,phanphy) and this is why this is not working, this is why Go is a failure of a Pokémon character he will never reach that bond with all his Pokémon even Ash couldnt in almost 25 years (Boldore,Palpitoad,Tauros,Kingler....).

So for me this series is killing something I liked since I was 5. I cannot see this and stay silent about it. I'm sorry if I annoy anyone or if I im harsh or I sound like a Hater but I was really hyped for the series and now the hype is dead, atleast my hype of Sun and Moon and Pokémon XY lasted more than one year.

As I stated in previous threads it's a really bad idea.

Look at the Dustox and Cacnea on Pokémon TV I watched it last week and I cried again. We had a big step up with Mimmikuy and Marearnie. And now we descent to this hole. This series is killing me to think I was hyped for this. At least if te battles where good but they are not. And Pikachu is too powerful How do you stop him. At least Mimmikyu gave trouble to him and was the perfect Anti-Pikachu weapon, but now not even semi-Legendary Pokémon can stop him. That makes those Pokémon look too weak not good.

Pokémon that can fit Team Rocket?Cramorant, Sandaconda, Impidimp,Polteageist... Well this really depends. Was Yanmega a Team Rocket fitting pokémon? And Yamask? What I want to say is that a Pokémon doesnt fit a character inmediatly, it fits through the series (Dawn Swinub comes to mind,buizel, gliscor,aipom,phanphy) and this is why this is not working, this is why Go is a failure of a Pokémon character he will never reach that bond with all his Pokémon even Ash couldnt in almost 25 years (Boldore,Palpitoad,Tauros,Kingler....).

So for me this series is killing something I liked since I was 5. I cannot see this and stay silent about it. I'm sorry if I annoy anyone or if I im harsh or I sound like a Hater but I was really hyped for the series and now the hype is dead, atleast my hype of Sun and Moon and Pokémon XY lasted more than one year.

Yeah I can't believe some actually say "Nothing suits them".
There's a snake, a species that Jessie practically staked a claim on!
And Cramorant and Polteageist would have been adorable captures for James. Polteageist as the one he fonds over while Cramorant is the comedy relief Pokemon he usually has, and something that they'd probably actually go out of the way to catch upon hearing 'Cramorant likes to capture Pikachu'

I like that machine since it's a great way to give the TRio different Pokemon without the writers needing to show bonding moments and '''''development'''''. Don't get me wrong sometimes watching Jessie & James interacting with their Pokemon can be cool but at the same time if they're just going to ditch their Pokemon after a couple of years anyway, then maybe this is better.

I like that machine since it's a great way to give the TRio different Pokemon without the writers needing to show bonding moments and '''''development'''''. Don't get me wrong sometimes watching Jessie & James interacting with their Pokemon can be cool but at the same time if they're just going to ditch their Pokemon after a couple of years anyway, then maybe this is better.

But precisely, the fact that they get rid of their Pokémon at headquarters because the writers have become lazy since BW it should not have happened ...

Except they don't need to be getting rid of them.
Unova had an actual reasoning for them going in with nothing. They were undercover, and then they gave Giovanni the Unova Pokemon in order to save face. The Kalos -> Alola transition? No reasoning at all, they just show up and Inkay/Gourgeist aren't there.
Then at the end of SM they make this big deal about having to leave Mareanie and Mimikyu at HQ. Um excuse me? They got to take Weezing and Arbok to Hoenn! And Seviper/Cacnea to Kanto/Sinnoh! I call Tauros on that, Mimikyu and Mareanie were already proven to be strong no reason they couldn't tag along while the TRio used the gacha machine to let their Pokemon take a break now and then

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom